“Old but comfortable”

Ranked #859 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Iceland
“Old but comfortable”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Good beds,clean room with tea and coffee provided in the room, good breakfast, reasonable price.good location. Well situated for transport and sightseeing. Helpful staff..Maybe not a four star, but sincerely good enough for a couple of nights.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Travel agent recommended, although reviews on Trip Advisor were mixed, we went ahead and booked the stay--WHAT A MISTAKE. We had to prepay the full week's stay at time of booking, months in advance. Booked a triple room for 3 adults.
On arrival, we were put into a double room with a very uncomfortable pull out sofa, not the triple shown. No A/C and room was at front door of hotel facing street, couldn't open a window for fear anyone could climb in. Staff spoke little to no English--rarely understood us. All triples were occupied.
When we were moved the next day, the room was a mess, still no A/C, never got clean glasses or coffee cups. Wi-Fi only worked occasionally if at all. Breakfast was OK, powdered eggs and coffee machine dispensed hot chocolate not Cappuccino. When we told the staff, they said "the machine is old and gets confused" REALLY!
Photos will be posted to show the sign on the A/C so old, no intentions of ever repairing. Overall, the hotel was in need of repair and no one seemed to care.
Only plus was the location, easy trip to the underground or Kensington Park.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Elaine P

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Booked here through a a family friend. The staff behind the counter barely spoke any english. Booked a room for 3 people. First room we got had 1 bed and a fold out couch bed. NOT what we booked. Asked to switch rooms, told the hotel was booked until morning. Slept on the couch bed and felt the support rods poking me in the back every time I rolled over.

Moved into another room the next day. Got 3 beds on the 5th floor. Air conditioning was broken with a note ssaying it was. By the time you wrote the note and got it taped to the AC unit, you could have had it fixed! Looked like the note had been there for about a year. Used the glasses in the room and when we got back later in the day...THEY WERE STILL THERE! They didn't even bother to replace them. Had to go down to the front desk to ask for new ones! There was dust on the ceiling fan as if they hadn't dusted the place for a month or 2 and it came falling down when the fan was turned on. The tube had planks of wood on either side as if the tube broke and they fixed it the cheap way. They also left toilet paper in the toilet and were too lazy to flush it.

Only positive was the breakfast was good. First and only time I will be staying here!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mark P
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Positives: the staff are really excellent, in all areas. Anything they can help with they do. It is a lovely looking building from the outside and the common areas inc reception and restaurant are good. I thought the fresh water cooler at reception was a great addition and I took advantage several times when I passed of cool water free of charge. When I checked in, I was given a pokey single room, but when I requested to be changed they did so, without much fuss. The breakfast buffet was pretty good (continental) but the hot option was limited and poor quality (and if you wanted a full English you had to pay extra). Wi-fi was free and worked well, which was super. A lovely located close to Hyde Park and only a five minute walk from several underground stations.
Negatives: The first room I was put into was awful. A room the size of a cupboard, with a tiny tv (although it was flatscreen in fairness), a tiny single bed, poor quality furnishings and a bathroom so small there was a 'fold over' door. I've stayed in many hotels in London over the years, and this was by far the smallest room I ever go put into. When I complained, I was put into a slightly bigger twin room, which they zip-linked into a double (which I had no problem with at all). The room overlooked the tube train tracks, which was very noisy until 1am and again from about 6, even with the window closed (which wouldn't be an option during Summer as the A/C did not work). Again, quality of the room was a bit of a let down, but at least I had enough room to rest and to work in the evening and the tv was a bit bigger too. The rooms are in my opinion, far from 4 star ! You could also hear a lot of noise as the doors seem to be very flimsy. I did not visit the pool area, but I believe this was open during my visit. I did not eat in the hotel in the evening or use the bar. The bathroom in both rooms were ok, but not great, with poor quality showers and amenities and a lack of v thorough cleaning.
Overall: As is so often the case in London, this hotel has charm and great staff, but needs quite a bit of investment. It lacks the frills of a four star property elsewhere and I think next time, I will stay elsewhere where I'd get better 'bang for my buck.'

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not look over the railway line !!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank hotelstays1
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Tiny box room. Terrible breakfasts that is nothing like on the advertised picture and they charge you extra for eggs or full English. Pool was closed for maintenance without being told and there was no sign because it was on the back of the door and that wasn't shut until the pool was. We were very unimpressed overall.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank theresonly1si
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I booked this hotel specifically for the location and the fact that it stated it had a swimming pool and sauna. When we arrived at the hotel I asked what time the pool closes and he then told me that it is not available due to maintainence. I was not happy about this as it was the main reason why I chose this hotel. The website also did not inform us. On the website pictures the rooms look lovely and a decent size. However, we were given number 004; a tiny room with the view of air conditioning units and was also right next to the train line (very noisy). The maintainence of the room was not up to standard so I complained straight away and managed to get 15% discount, wine and a change of room. The service was good but I will not be returning. I would advise people to ring the hotel and check all the facilities are open before booking to avoid being disapointed!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Laurafry127
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel is in a good location for walks in Hyde park and a fairly short walk for the tube. The room itself was pretty basic and ok for one night. It was situated right next to the underground tracks, which u could hear, but as we were tired with all the sight seeing didn't keep us awake. The complimentary shower gel however was filled with water ?? Breakfast was ok and had a good selection. Staff were polite. Would I stay here again? maybe, but just for the one night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple