“Great value and situated close to Subway and Queensway.”
Review of Henry VIII Hotel

Henry VIII Hotel
Ranked #873 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The hotel is situated in Bayswater, and a short distance to the Subway and to the restaurants in Queensway. We have stayed several times in this hotel and will stay there also in the future.

The rooms have a decent size and a descent bathroom, with a bathtub. The rooms has always been clean and the service from the staff have always been good.

There is a decent breakfast in the dining room and free internet to use in the lobby.

If you hear the sound of a train, you can find out that the next door house house is only a shell and behind the Shell there is a open space down to the train tunel!

There is a swimming pool in the basement.

I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Morten R

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed here for one week.

I will start with the pro's which are actually the things that made me choose this hotel:

1. good location

1. the hotel looks like a 2 star, maximum
2. very tiny rooms
3. dated furniture, TV and coffemaker
4. The floor squeaks when you walk
5. The windows are old. You can hear the tubes and all the noizes in the street. One night, my window opened because of the wind.
6. You can hear your neighbours walking and talking. First I thought that somebody is in my room and I was really scared, I couldn't believe that something like that is possible.
7. My shower didn't work properly. It had a really slow flow.
8. The air conditioner didn't work
9. No plug adaptor
10. My room card had to be replaced 2 times because I couldn't open the door with it. Imagine going up at the latest floor with lots of shopping bags and stuff and then having to return because the door doesn't open...
11. Breakfast is horrible. Vey poor quality, I ended up eating just fruits because everything else was bad.
12. I had really bad sleep. Had to go to massage when I returned home.

I would not return and not recommend it for anybody.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Roxana C
Reviewed 20 December 2013

3 nights is London turned out almost like "living in little Spain". The worst part in that was the fact, that the hotel staff concentrated mainly only on serving all the Spanish speaking persons and all other guests were almost forgotten. And as the staff was also of Spanish origin, there was a slight language barrier between us. (I am a Finn, but thinking my English is quite fluent and have had no problems for example in NYC.)
Will not prepare any long list of all "problems" we had, but one example is the lighting in our room. 2 lamps of 3 were broken and even though I mentioned about it on day 1, no one came to repair those. Asking about that on day 2 a.m., the answer was "we have informed a repairman". Well, no one repairman was seen in that hotel...
Another negative point was the lack of other lift. Had been broken probably for a long time already, One small lift in a hotel with such large capacity is simply not enough! (Btw, the only one in use sounded like it could be broken in any day.)
Two positive surprises were the location and quite good breakfast buffet! First time in London and no idea of the location, so did not know what to wait. What comes to breakfast, had not very high expectations and the versatility of it was a pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: In a double room, two separate beds would perhaps be a good choice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mikko S
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Good place to stay. Best location. walkable distance from Paddington station. London Heathrow express operate every 15 mins from Paddington. Queens way is next street where you find will lot of good restaurant to eat. Big bus tour pick point is about 500 meters from hotel. ..

Best part of this hotel is location. .location. .location.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank janakivasan
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I spent almost one week at the Henry VIII in London. Quiet and safe neighborhood, a good five minutes walk from the nearest tub station (Queensway Station - Red Line), good breakfast and helpful staff. The room was very small, dirty carpet and not good toiletries (make sure to bring your soap and shampoo!). At the end I recommend Henry VIII because of one thing: location. This is Kensington area! If you find something better in London… go ahead. London is still one of the most expensive places in the world.

Room Tip: Avoid the room 402… the tiniest of my life!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Intrepid T
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I booked this hotel after some consideration. I had looked at many others but kept coming back to this one. I read some of the reviews and decided to take all of them with a "pinch of salt" I have travelled quite a lot and always make my own opinions rather than following the crowd.
We came here as 2 couples (me and my hubby) and my parents - our treat. We were welcomed warmly and efficiently checked in. Our rooms were on the 1st floor just 2 rooms apart. We were all pleased with our rooms. Ok, the bathroom was a little on the small side but how much room do you need? Shower was hot and powerful and toiletries more than adequate for an overnight stay - left more room in case for shopping!!! The bed was very comfortable and had a great sleep - I am a bad sleeper at the best of times. We went down to breakfast just before 9am and we seated promptly. We were more than happy about the breakfast. There was a lot of choice - cereals, muesli, fruit, yogurt, bread, rolls, toast, croissants, Danish pastries, ham, cheeses and then the hot selection of sausages, scrambled eggs and tomatoes. Ok so bacon and eggs cooked other ways were an extra charge but I fail to understand how other travellers can slate the food available?
They were more than happy to safely store our luggage for the day - even though we had checked out. This was great as shopping with a suitcase is not an easy thing and saved £18 in left luggage costs as Waterloo.
Ok so Bayswater does seem to be a Spanish area but that was fine by us. To be honest, having read a lot of the reviews on here, it makes me ashamed to be british. Talk about a nation of moaners -funny how no-one writes compliments but boy do they know how to moan.
We would definitely stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cclarke120
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed at this hovel last weekend and can honestly advise anyone thinking of booking here to seriously think again!(unless you like bad things in which case this is the gaff for you!)

Booked well in advance for three adult males to have a triple room and was advised that we would have either three single beds or two singles and a sofa bed.

When we checked in we where advised it was a room with a double and a single bed (not happy chappies)

Not wanting to put a damper on the weekend we decided to crack on and make the most it and ascend to the top floor of the hotel where the room was.

The lift awaited us (shoe box on a rope?) this thing was so slow and outdated that I still wonder if maybe it was Pedro from reception winding the lift through the floors from the roof!!!!

On entering the room we were greeted by the dank 80's style mediocrity of accommodation I had booked.

Taking a minute to absorb the mediocre self certified 4 star splendour (I can only assume was certified by either Mr Magoo or Stevie wonder) we heard the squeaky, grinding drone of the Pedro 2000 lift, a lovely, comforting noise when in your bed

The shower was a trickle that could be compared to a small mouse standing above you and peeing red hot scalding nothingness or freezing cold (with less pressure?) nothingness!

Breakfast lived up to all expectations and was what can only be described as a culinary delight.This consisted of an anemic sausage, bounce off the wall plaster egg and the wonderful atmospheric drone of the Pedro 2000, always a pleasure = (

I have to admit though the biggest disappointment of the weekend had to be that the gaffer Basel Faulty didn't show his face but hey I suppose you can't have it all!

Room Tip: Book else where
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends