“BED BUGS”
Review of Central Park Hotel

Central Park Hotel
Ranked #870 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Prior to checking into the hotel, I Googled the hotel to get the address. I found a very recent review that reported beg bugs. I tried to cancel my pre-paid reservation based on this info, but the hotel manager wouldn't budge. So I gave it a shot. HUGE MISTAKE.

Within two hours of being in my room, I had been bitten a number of times. I began searching for new hotels online and while doing so, was bit so badly that it drew blood. When I went to scratch, the bug was still there, so I killed it and saved it. The rest of the evening was an absolute sleep-free nightmare, but it was 3 a.m. and I had no other options.

I booked another hotel and in the morning produced the bug for the manger which I kept on the hotel key card. I also showed two cell phone pics I took of my bleeding back, which had been ravaged with bites. Weakly offering another room, which I declined, the manager refunded me for the remainder of the nights of my stay (but I had to pay for my night of bed bug terror).

What else can I say? The hotel is centrally-located, which is the only bonus I can conceive.

Internet is not free, but pricey and none too fast. I asked for a higher room, as other reviews reported bad noise. They denied this request and put me on the second floor. Although the hotel is on a side street, it is still terribly noisy.

The walls were scuffed, the whole room stank like a family of cats lived there, and the shower was filthy. Oh, if you wanted soap, it came in impossible-to-open packets that you had to tear open in order to get a teaspoon full of gel.

The staff was grumpy and said virtually anything to get me to just get out of their hair at check-in. A horrible experience.

Avoid this hotel at all costs. If you have any doubts, read all the other reviews of this property.

Room Tip: If you absolutely have to stay here, get a room on the upper floor to avoid street noise. Also, pull...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Joe D
Write a ReviewReviews (2,755)

Reviewed 15 June 2012

This is a clean and tidy, no frills hotel just off Bayswater Road (major bus route) and very close to Queensway underground station on the Central line. Close to parks and the major shopping area of Oxford Street. The rooms are small and do not offer free WiFi. I simply purchased a SIM for a fraction of the hotel Internet charge. There is a great budget buffet breakfast restaurant close by (pizza by day) and plenty of reasonable eating places in the area. Tesco and Sainsbury also offer meal options. Coffee and tea is available in the rooms and the bathroom, although small, is clean, well provisioned and modern, spoiled only by the small towels. There is a safe and cooler that masquerades as a fridge. Don't rely on it to keep anything cold. The small flat screen satellite TV has a good range of channels. Spent three days there and failed to get a greeting or smile out of reception - so don't expect to feel particularly welcome. The housekeeping was very good and the room was serviced daily. In summary - this is a good place to sleep if you are planning a busy schedule of business or sightseeing every day. Not a place to spend your leisure time otherwise.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ratfink
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Great service. We could leave our luggage in the room while it wasn't ready for our
check in. 10.00 a.m.

Rooms small, old but clean. Great location next to Hyde Park. Tube really close.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My girlfriend and I visited London for a musical and were looking for a good value hotel. This Hotel was a fantastic location with Hyde park less than a 2 minute walk away. The staff were friendly and the room was immaculate. The room was suitable for a one nights stay. The view wasn't brilliant but the price was.
I was worried when I saw two single beds pushed together but I could barely tell once I was tucked up. The beds were very comfortable. Strongly recommend this hotel for a short stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Last minute booking for an overnight stay, bargain price and quick scan of previous reviews initially made me wish I hadn't booked but actually it was a really nice hotel.
The directions were fantastic (not always the way with London hotels!) the main public areas were lovely and well presented and above all really clean.
Our room was massive and bigger than some we have booked specifically as "family rooms" so a pleasant surprise although only the two of us were staying! Bed was HUGE, and really comfy, plenty of pillows and towels too. Bathroom was a little small (toilet VERY close to the wall and bath!) but the shower was fantastic and everything really clean.
Good to find a fridge in the room also, and complimentary tea/coffee etc. Housekeeping were happy to provide us with more milks etc as we had used quite a lot!
No external noise at all, hard to believe in london!! rooms were nice temperature and not too hot like some inner city hotels where the wondows don't open. The curtains were good quality and lined so kept the room quite dark in the morning still.

We moved hotels to one along the road the next day (as it was previously booked as a Theatre Break Deal) which was of a well-known luxury chain and it wasn't a patch on this one!

We didn't have breakfast here but went to one of the many many cafe/restaurants on Queensway and ate for under £5 each, loads to chose from and thoroughly recommended:)

Overall this was a fantastic hotel, booked at a bargain price and we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WestMidlandsDave_n
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Just back from a two night stay at the Central Park Hotel. It is in a great location, a couple of minutes walk from both Queensway and Bayswater tube stations and next door to Hyde Park. Queensway was a lovely place to hang out - lots of choice for restaurants and Whiteleys shopping centre.

Sadly we thought the hotel could do better.......we had booked a triple room, which on arrival was obviously a double room with a camp bed in it, as there were only two glasses in the bathroom. Bathroom was tiny but shower was good. Room was ok but very small for three of us. The little fridge was a bonus.

We paid extra for a continental breakfast - which was just ok but no fruit which was disappointing. Save your money and go round the corner where you can find shops and cafes to get a better one.

We asked if they had a left luggage room as our train home wasn't until later in the day. We were initially told that there wasn't one, but the next day was told we could keep the room until 2pm if we paid an extra £10. We did this but we thought that given the size of the hotel they could have dedicated one room for this. It would be a positive move and we would definitely have reservations about recommending or using this hotel again as they don't offer this service.

The communication between the staff was poor - we weren't given vouchers for breakfast and then were locked out of our room on the last day as a member of staff hadn't passed on that we were keeping the room on. Also the cleaning staff knocked on our door on both mornings before 9.00am to clean it - not good. Even when we explained we had the room till 2pm they said that they only work till 2pm so would have to clean it for the next guests whilst our stuff was still in it and our things were still in the fridge and we were still using the room!

In reflection, we thought it was an ideal location but the hotel wasn't the best we had stayed in. The jury is still out whether we would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Complain if you order a triple and get a double with a camp bed. We wish we had done this. We were o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends