“Hot as hell” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #860 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Hot as hell”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Hotels in central London can be extortionate prices and I needed a hotel by the Albert Hall that had access to car parking when I came across the Central Park Hotel. We parked our car at the easily accessible car park and walked the short distance to the hotel.

The hotel was clean and tidy upon arrival and the reception staff friendly and helpful. We were allocated a room on the 5th floor. Our room upon entry was so hot. We immediately opened the window and turned on the small desk fan (the hotel obviously knew the room was hot!). But this was not a solution, we slept above all the covers and kept the fan on and window open all night.

The bathroom was tiny, you had to manoeuvre around the door to get to the facilities behind but it was clean and well presented.

The bed could do with being replaced and the tv did not work (not helped by someone removing the remote batteries), but if the hotel sorted these little issues out, as well as the ridiculous hot house temperatures then this hotel would be a gem!

I would recommend this hotel and I would stay again. Like I say you do pay for what you get but this hotel certainly has potential.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Michelle M
CentralParkLondon, General Manager at Central Park Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your review of the Central Park Hotel.
It was a pleasure to read your comments about the cleanliness and I have passed these on to our Housekeeping team together with the comments about the bed and the remote control.
I would like to apologize for your room being hot and we are currently investigating the reason for that on our higher floors as we have turned off our heating system a few weeks ago due to the weather being warmer.
We did refurbish one floor at the beginning of the year and do hope to continue with updating the rooms later on in the year.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back again to the Central Park Hotel.
Angelika Meltzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and were given a room in the basement. As soon as we opened the door we were hit by the stench of stale cigarette smoke (it was a no smoking room). Since it was the basement there was no chance of opening a window to allow in some fresh air. The room was small, basic but the bedding was clean. Unfortunately when we came to shower in the morning we found that it didn't work. No water at all. So if by any chance you find yourself at this hotel, check the shower before you do anything else. And I hope you don't find yourself in the basement. It was grim.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mand195
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
The hotel is a 100 % non-smoking room, but unfortunately that does not mean everyone adheres to this. Although we do our best to eliminate any odours sometimes it will take a while until the odour vanishes, especially when smoking is involved.
With regards to the lack of water I can only assume that you stayed when we had a water problem in the morning and I would like to apologize for this, however this was beyond our control. I can assure you that as soon as the staff was advised an engineer was called and the outside water company was informed as well. Unfortunately it took longer then expected, but the water was restored later in the day.
Angelika Meltzer

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here with a group of study abroad students. The location was excellent and it was a great set-up for roommates sharing during the trip (two twin beds in each room).
The rooms themselves are bare-bones, but the bathrooms were nice and all was clean and only needed for sleeping anyway.
I will echo what others have said about the heat. Our room was on the east side of the building and by 9:30 a.m. the heat created by the sunlight coming into the room was intolerable. Oddly, ONE person in our group had air-conditioning in their room but no one else. There was also a lot of street noise, which was unfortunate since keeping windows open was completely necessary in the heat.
The staff were friendly and courteous and we had no major issues with customer service. My students were unhappy that the wifi was unreliable in the lobby and non-existent in the rooms, but for me, the lack of air-conditioning was a much bigger issue.
In cooler weather, I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for an air-conditioned room or at least one on the west side of the building (not overlooking th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CentralParkLondon, General Manager at Central Park Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found the staff friendly and courteous. The issues with the WiFi in the lobby has been looked at and has become a lot more stable.
Unfortunately only a few of our rooms have air conditioning and most of these rooms have windows that cannot be opened due to where they are situated in the building.
We look forward to having to welcome you back to the hotel another time.
Wexford Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I do not have high standards.... I am happy to slum it and believe that you get what you pay for.... So I was not surprised that the interior facing room that I was given on check in had no air-con.... also that the room was roasting hot was acceptable in my opinion because at least I could take a shower right?
WRONG!!!
This morning 20th May 2014 I awoke and was unable to so much as brush my teeth, shave or even flush the toilet....
I am Mr Tolerant personified and spoke to reception..... Their response???

"there is nothing I can do, maintenance are looking into the problem!"
This line was delivered in a half shouty/half exasperated tone!!!
I will make it my lifes work to ensure that nobody ever uses this excuse for a hotel again!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank JohnWexfordIreland
CentralParkLondon, General Manager at Central Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments with regards to your recent stay at the hotel.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the lack of water on the morning of 20. May 2014
Unfortunately and by means of explanation only, this was caused by a combination of problems that were outside of our control.
As soon as we were made aware of it we called in an engineer to fix the problem as quickly as possible. We also contacted Thames Water to ensure that the water supply was actually reaching the hotel. The water supply to the whole hotel was restored by the early afternoon. I have discussed the response the team has given you with the relevant department head in order for the team to learn from your feedback.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope your experience on this occasion does not prevent you from visiting us in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed here on Friday night (16th May) and it was an appalling experience. My mattress was lumpy and was obviously years old, the sheets were full of holes, as were the walls of my room. There was a fridge but the only place to plug this in was behind a large piece of furniture. The walls were like paper and I had trouble getting to sleep with noisy neighbours. The television was freeview with poor reception and which only showed ITV and Channel 4 channels, when I called reception to ask about the BBC I was told it was pot luck whether or not the room had BBC. I would have changed hotels that night but I am pregnant and did not relish traipsing around with my suitcase in the dead of night. The following morning I checked out, I did not ask for a refund of the night I had stayed only for the night I had remaining for which I had already paid. I was met with a rude, curt attitude from the staff who had never heard of the word sorry and refused to refund me for the night saying that I should have given twenty-four hours notice, belive me twenty-fours hours before I had no idea of the terrible experience that was awaiting me. There are plenty of similarly-priced, much nicer hotels in the area, Avoid this like the plague. Oh and you need to pay for Wi-Fi access.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Flimflamfly
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments with regards to your recent stay at the hotel. I have shared your comments with regards to the room with the Executive Housekeeper. We do change our mattresses regularly and I apologise if you found your mattress uncomfortable. I was sorry to hear that the staff did not appear helpful and have passed this on to all departments to discuss with their teams.
If you would kindly contact me directly on angelika.meltzer@centralparklondon.co.uk in order for me to get some more details with regards to your stay so that I can investigate it further.
Pune
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Me and my family stayed in the hotel for 6 days during May 2014. It was a terrible experience for the following reasons :
1. The attitude of the staff at the front desk / reception is not customer oriented. They do not respond to requests for information or service. I never saw the staff at the reception smile...they were the most morose, demotivated bunch of people I have ever seen. They certainly don't make you feel welcome. It'snot just my feeling, many of the guests that I spoke to expressed the same opinion.
2. The window in my room was broken and I brought this to the attention of the manager. She promised to get it repaired the next day but it never happened. Fortunately for us, the room was so stuffy, that the open window actually turned out to be a blessing. However, had the weather been very chilly, it would have been a different story. I suspect, the airconditioining in the rooms are not very effective and that could be one reason why the previous occupant in our room had forcibly broken open the window.
3. The hotel has certainly seen better days. The carpets in the corridor are stained and there is a dank smell. All the room doors are scratched and you clearly get an impression that the hotel does not believe in maintenance.
3. My room was very small and after plonking in our luggage, there was hardly any space to move. It's the same for the toilet - very small and you hardly have space.
4. The refrigerator in my room was not working and it seems to have stopped working a long time back but the hotel has not bothered to get it repaired.
The only positive point about the hotel is it's location. However, as London is so well connected by the underground and other public transport that it is hardly a factor.
My advise - there are plenty of good hotels in the area, stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Devdoot
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

The service here is shocking. Whilst checking in the receptionist wandered off to attend to someone else who she had given the wrong room key. No apology what so ever on her return. The room smelt like someone had smoked a joint in it. When we left to go out for the evening there was a plate of bread rolls and butter on the floor by lifts, this was still there when we came back 6 hours later! The room was sweltering and the window couldn't be left open due to street noise.

We were woken in the early hours by the sound of someone watching television in the next room and again by the fire alarm going off at 7am. We were told this was a normal test, no warning when booking in that an alarm would be tested on a Saturday morning!!!
Room service tried to come in and clean the room at 9am, despite do not disturb sign. Maybe the 7 am fire alarm is to make sure you leave 4 hours before the check out time?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Natasha F
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I understand that not all aspects of your stay were up to your expectations and I would like to apologise for the shortfall on this occasion. I have passed on all the points you made to the relevant departments heads in order for them to discuss it with their teams.