“You'll get what you've paid for”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Central Park Hotel

Central Park Hotel
Ranked #863 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Belfast
“You'll get what you've paid for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

I've read quite a few reviews of this place. I think it's fair to say that most of them aren't exactly glowing endorsements of the delights on offer at the Central Park Hotel.

However the fact that those reviewers did not experience unadulturated bliss should not be a surprise to us, and it certainly should not have been any surprise to them when they booked this hotel.

I'm just home after a 4 Night stay at Central Park. I knew what to expect when I paid a much lower price than many other hotels in London.... and guess what?....
...what I expected was exactly what I got:

Lacklustre service?.... yes please.
Paper thin walls?.... coming right up.
A dodgy shower?.... don't mind if I do.
Toilet paper or sandpaper?.... bring it on.

It wasn't all bad though...:

Comfortable bed?.... yes.
Clean room?.... affirmative.
Good location?.... you bet.

So, you see, I got exactly what I signed up for at the Central Park Hotel. So did most of the previous reviewers - the difference is that some people aren't prepared to take the rough with the smooth. Some aren't even willing to get what they paid for. If you're like them then there are plenty of more classy and more expensive hotels in London.

If you accept you're not going to have a completely flawless experience then the Central Park is well worth a look.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AJQ5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

I booked for 3 nights and paid in full on check in. If only I had known! The room was small and dingy, without aircon; the window opened only a crack and the room had only a small fan, so it was suffocating in the summer heat (it was very hot at the time but the inside temperature was far higher than outside). The fridge didn't work, there is no wifi in the rooms and the wifi in the reception area didn't work either. I complained to management - along with several other VERY unhappy guests - but they were unhelpful. The fridge couldn't be fixed, there was no other fridge available, no extra fans, no possibility of opening the windows more, nothing to be done about the wifi etc. It was so bad, I wanted to leave immediately; however, it was too late, so I arranged with the duty manager to leave the following morning. I specifically checked with him that the hotel would refund me for the last two nights of the booking. He assured me that the hotel would do so in the morning on my checkout. I also clearly heard him tell other guests - who also wanted to leave next morning for the same reasons- exactly the same thing: the hotel would give a full refund for the balance of the booking. The only way I could eventually get some sleep in the room that night was by lying right under the fan with a water-soaked towel over me. It was awful! The next morning on checkout the hotel refused to refund me for the second night, saying that I had to give 24 hours notice. The other guests didn't get their full refund, as promised, either. When I complained that the hotel had promised the refund, the night manager was called; he denied telling me that I would get a refund for both nights! This was completely untrue but the hotel wouldn't budge. (The receptionist told me that in these circumstances the manager would have to pay out of his own pocket for the night if they gave me the refund - a substantial incentive to deny the truth). I tried to speak to the general manager, was told to wait 15 minutes until he or she arrived. I waited an hour, but this person never arrived. No apology, nothing. I was eventually given an email address and told to complain in writing to the general manager at head office! No one at the hotel was willing or able to deal directly with the problem. I was appalled that the hotel insisted on a 24-hour notice period when the only reason I had to leave was because it failed to provide the very thing I was entitled to expect: a reasonable night's accommodation. It also refused to honour a promise made by its duty manager regarding the refund - unprofessional in the extreme. My view regarding this hotel is: AVOID. You have been warned!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Colleen H

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Went there with my girlfriend on a get away to London.

The rooms are very small and missing a lot of things. The bed was small, the toilet didn't flush, the walls were thin so you could hear everything. Also the breakfast was terrible and the halls dirty.

It's like a hostel but with hotel rates.

DON'T GO THERE!

2 Thank Simon A
CentralParkLondon, General Manager at Central Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your review following your stay.
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Our reception team would have happily helped you with any problems in the room or allocated a different room for you in order for you to have a more pleasant stay.
Deal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

As you walk in the hotel looks clean and inviting with a tidy bar and reception. If or when you book ensure you ask NOT to be put in the basement as the room they gave us had no windows, no extraction, no space, no tv signal, no phone signal and the water does not drain away. we asked even before we had seen the room to be changed and it was as if it was a natural thing as the receptionist already had on had some complementary breakfast slips. We had booked for 2 nights so on second night we got moved. We asked that we could had a room with a window that opened as i suffer from asthma. Firstly they could not seem to time the move very well I understand the room we were to move into had to be cleaned but why we could not keep our dungeon room until then as we had booked for 2 nights so we had to vacate our room for over 3 hrs.
Then the room we were given was at the very top of the hotel and just as bad as the window did still not open the extraction fan worked for 2 mins then gave off a burning smell, there was mildew on the window ledges room was a nice size but with the cobwebs and the holes in the walls and mould at back of shower. The door itself was coming away from the frame and a gap you could see straight into the room. Not a pleasant stay..

Room Tip: Request when booking this hotel for a room that everything works in, not in the basement, not on the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay at the Central Park Hotel. I was sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and that you felt that the second room was not to you liking either, however at times we have only limited availability to move to other rooms as during busy times, especially in the summer, we have the majority of our guest staying for a longer period of time.
We are planning a refurbishment of the hotel in the very near future.
Angelika
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just returned from a short break in London staying at the Central Park Hotel. We booked the hotel as part of a rail “Super Break” deal so we weren’t really expecting much. Reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor further compounded our fears and I can’t say we were particularly looking forward to our stay. Well, what can I say, “It wasn’t as bad as we expected”, is probably the best description. OK, the rooms are rather small, quite shabby and in desperate need of decoration BUT it seemed clean, had a comfortable bed and a good power shower. Breakfast was actually considerably better than we had expected and the staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is in an excellent location, right next to Hyde Park and only a couple of hundred yards from Queensway tube station. Would I recommend it? Well it really depends upon your expectations and the room rate you get. For a short, cheap London break it’s fine. If you’re wanting something a little more luxurious then you’re probably better off looking elsewhere (and paying considerably more)..

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robin P
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments following your stay at the hotel.
I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and I couldn't agree more with your comment about the location as attractions, theatres and shopping is within easy reach of the hotel.
With regards to your comments about the rooms I am happy to let you know that we are planning a refurbishment of all the bedrooms in the next couple of months.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We had booked double room in this hotel. I am writing this in regards to the hotel's helplessly frustrating reception staff who checked in with me and another two members of my family on August 12, 2014 at around 4 pm. Then we found out that we had to stay on floor below ground floor with no elevator and immediate helper until the next one hour. We explained to the front desk that we travelled with 6 large pieces of luggage and asked for a better floor, but the front desk gave me no choices and answered me to come back at 7 am tomorrow morning to check about a possibility of new room. I was so disappointed as we had made a booking 1 month before and already placed a special request that we would like to stay in the upper floor where it is easy to put the luggages to the room. I felt that the staff lacks the most basic sense of priority and kindness.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Tisiruk P
CentralParkLondon, General Manager at Central Park Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to post them.
Although we do try and accommodate the requests made by our guest sometimes this is not possible.
I am sorry that we were unable to help with your luggage on arrival, but as a limited service hotel we do not offer porter service, but would try get someone to help from any of our departments unfortunately this can cause a delay in us being able to help depending on the time of the day the request is made.
We have certainly taking all your comments on board should we increase our services in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Our travel agent booked this hotel for us, we had not idea what to expect. The staff were all really friendly and helpful. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the main shopping strip Oxford street and only 30 seconds away from Hyde park.
The rooms are quite small but we didn't mind as we were not there to sit in the hotel room!

Train stations are very close to hotel so getting around was very easy. Also a hop on hop off your bus stop was a 1 minute walk from the hotel

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aussiechloengav
CentralParkLondon, General Manager at Central Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and I was happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, which I have passed on to the team. Such comments are appreciated and provide a great source of motivation to our staff.
I certainly agree that hotel is well located for anything London has to offer.
We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.