“Small, but good rooms”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Craven Gardens Hotel
Ranked #827 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 December 2007

Location was fair to reasonable - its a good 10 minute walk to the tube station, but apart from that, its well sited for walks in Hyde Park.. Rooms were well decorated and of a very good quality, and bathroom was fantastic! No views as such, we had a rear-facing room into a courtyard but its only a room to plant your head so not that fussed. The whole complex is a bit cramped, small lift, small reception but not too bothered about that either. Well priced but in March, its not that busy for trade i'd think..

• Stayed: March 2004, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank stevie_nottm

Reviewed 23 April 2007

March 2007, a friend and I (two single girls 20-somethings) stayed at the Craven Gardens Hotel in London's Bayswater neighborhood. The hotel has some ok reviews from other travelers, was affordable and in a great area... BUT... please do not be tempted by these things to stay here. The reception area was small as I expected, but clean, so my first impression was ok. We checked in and were able to check in early, so I thought we had made a good choice... but then we went up to the room... It was extremely small and reminded me of a hospital room for some reason. We went to take a nap and noticed that we were missing one half of our window curtains. We went downstairs to ask them what could be done about this and they sent up the "housekeepers" in their stilleto boots who then climbed on one of our beds to replace one half of the curtain with another half that didnt match the first half. Basically, in the basement is a hostel and even the hotel guests are treated just like hostel guests. The customer service was minimal and borderline rude, getting extra towels was like pulling teeth, the shower hardly worked and when it did would be scalding hot or freezing cold, but no where in between.
So, dont say you havent been warned - i know this hotel is a good deal, but you might as well stay at a hostel for less money...

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Carey L
Reviewed 24 May 2006

This was our first trip to London. We traveled on a United Airlines Vacation package. I would almost rather have stayed home! The smoke was horrible; I would imagine some people have left even though they prepaid for their room. As for the food, go for coffee and toast only. The room was so hot it was unbearable, even though it was cool outside and we left the window open all night. I will say the bathroom was more forgiving. It was clean and there was lots of hot water. All in all I would not return again. In fairness to the facility, I think they should advertise themselves as a youth hostel, but not as a hotel for the general public.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank SJohnstonMenifee_CA
Reviewed 3 December 2005

Before this trip I had stayed at 3 other London budget hotels and didn't like any of them, so I know how hard it is to find a good value in London - But Craven Gardens is one. I stayed there in March 2005, in a single for £39 a night. The hotel's location is fabulous, just a block from Kensington Gardens, two minute walk to a bus stop, 5 minutes to two tube stations and to lots of cheap eats on Queensway. The building and lobby are clean and nicely decorated, there's a lift. The breakfast (included in the price) was great - eggs, toast, bacon, juice, coffee. The room itself was small (but no smaller than any other room I've stayed in in London). There was just a double bed and essentially no other furniture (or room for any). But there was an alcove with space to hang clothes, lay your suitcase,etc. There was tea/coffee maker, TV, huge window, and very clean modern bathroom. I will most definitly stay there again.

7  Thank Isabel_2
A TripAdvisor Member
Spring Valley, California
Reviewed 12 November 2005

Recently returned from 11 nights at Craven Gardens and I will be back! Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable room, hot English breakfast daily. This hotel is conveniently located to major bus routes (15 minutes at peak hours to Piccadilly Circus) and tube stations. Good pub next door. Quiet room, no noisy neighbors. The staff really made my stay special with their cheerful help. This was my 15th trip to London and I have finally found a budget hotel that I would recommend to friends/family. Prospective guests must remember that budget hotels in England (all of Europe, from my experience) do not have large rooms, but the bed was comfortable, the bathroom large by Brit standards and everything was very clean. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2005

I stayed here for four nights in the hotel. The staff were not friendly and they were not at all knowledgable (fortunatly for us we had both been to London before and so we were fairly familiar with our surroundings. When we checked in the sheets and the toilet were dirty. Yes the room is tiny, but we knew that going in. I guess the value isn't that bad, but we probably could have done better. Unless you are looking for somewhere really cheap, don't stay here. Oh yeah the breakfast was... as they say in the UK... rubbish.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 March 2005

Just got back from 6 days in London where we stayed the entire time at this part hotel/part youth hostel. If you like traffic noise, young people partying, lots of rap music blaring at every breakfast, smoke and very uninformed staff, this is the place. Oh, did I mention hearing every word through the walls in the next room at 2 am? The breakfast was terrible unless you like fake eggs and very greasy ham. And don't forget the stale cornflakes. Now to be fair, this location is superbly close to Hyde Park and two very convenient tube stations (Queensway and Bayswater.) The shower was wonderful. And for 50 pence you can logon to a computer very conveniently located in the lounge area for 15 minutes. It's great for e-mailing home if you have a web account. But the lack of space, smoke permeating from every wall, hearing every door slam, cramped room, traffic noise even for the price would keep me from staying there in the future.

• Stayed: March 2005