“Overnight Stay”
Review of Coronation Hotel

Coronation Hotel
Ranked #284 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The hotel was conveniently located close to the tube station and Earl's Court. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Hotel room clean, comfortable and cosy. Staff friendly and attentive. Continental breakfast adequate to start the day! Overall would stay again and will recommend..

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Noodles50

Reviewed 24 March 2013

I have stayed here twice now. Once in a double room and, latterly, in a single. Both rooms were on the lower-ground floor which often seems to be the case when booking last minute budget deals.

The young man (Spanish, I think) at reception was very polite and welcoming.

The room was clean and nicely decorated in dark pastel colours giving an impression of warmth. The room was small but adequate enough for a one night stay and the bathroom, though small, was okay though someone much larger than me (12st/168lbs) might have struggled a little.

The big downside of my stay (which tempts me to give this a 2-star rating) was that there was a fan or pump in an adjacent room (perhaps a boiler room) which came on every 10-15 seconds for 5-6 seconds at a time. This meant I managed to sleep only fitfully. Of course, probably any other room in the hotel would have provided a better experience so, bearing this in mind, I'm rating this as a 3-star.

Breakfast a little disappointing but otherwise more than adequate. A soggy warm croissant with a slice of processed cheese and a slice of 'meat' masquerading as ham. Cereals, fruit juice, yoghurt and toast are also available.

All in all this place is alright provided you can get the right room for a decent price. On this occasion (early March) I paid £44 which I think is good value for Earls Court

Room Tip: Ask whether the room is near the boiler room if being offered a lower-ground floor room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This hotel is extremely clean and has very pleasant staff. It is very close to Earls Court underground station and about half an hour walk from the Royal Albert Hall. The double room was at the front and next to the reception but neither this nor the road were a problem. The very adequate breakfast, which was described as continental, consisted of cereal, croissant/cheese/ham, toast, yoghurt, fruit juice, tea or coffee and was served by very pleasant staff quickly. The room was small but as a one night stay was fine but the only complaint was that as it was a double room the bed was made of two single mattresses put together. Apart from this the experience for that one night and the price were all we required.

Room Tip: Only being there the once the one good thing we found was that coming back late from a show it was n...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2013

This hotel is fine. It is clean and I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The rooms are small but this is to be expected. You could swing a small cat in a pendulum motion only in the room but it had everything in place and was clean. The location is great for Earls Court exhibitions and the West Of London. This is not the best hotel I have stayed in but it did exactly what it said on the tin.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I looked at a lot of hotels on Trip Advisor before choosing this one because of its price, location, breakfast included and free wifi. It did not disappoint me. The staff were delightful, charming and very polite and helpful. There was always someone on the reception desk. I was able to leave my suitcase there after checking out and pick it up later in the day. No charge and much appreciated. The room was narrow and very high but that didn't really matter as I was out most of the day. Amazingly I slept very well indeed. Although the rooms are tightly packed into a small space there was no noise. The Breakfast room was fresh and clean and a lovely continental breakfast was provided.

The location was perfect. A quiet street but just round corner for super range of shops and eating places. Try Masala Zone on Earls Ct. Rd. took about 10 mins to walk to Olympia. Direct tube to Kings Cross station.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone wanting somewhere guaranteed to be clean, welcoming and convenient.

Room Tip: My room was 102 on first floor overlooking street and square. Small and narrow but otherwise fine! N...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2013

As a seasoned football traveler flying over to the UK from the Nordic countries many times a year to watch my team I have found it increasingly difficult to find good hotels in London for a reasonable price.
Most of the time I end up using Hotwire, which usually gives me the best value for money.
This time the Hotwire options were not good, so I tried The Coronation, and was very happy. Well located, reasonably clean, fairly modern rooms for a very good price.
I was lucky enough to need this room for a Wednesday game, on weekends the prices are much higher. From one day to the next the price for a single room can change from 39 GBP to 84 GBP. If you can find a room for for the bargain price, go for it. If you have to pay the highest amount, you can surely find something better.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2013

The room is okay, but not great by any means (this is London; you can't expect too much). There is also no lift in this hotel. If you have large or heavy luggage like us, you should consider going to another hotel in the area. We had to drag our 3 suitcases down a staircase to our room in basement, and we when we asked for assistance we were told "it's not my job, I can't help you"; there was only one person at the hotel at the time - the male receptionist. We only stayed in this hotel as we could not get any other accommodation in the area, and we knew what we're getting into. However, we had hoped that we would get a little bit of help with our bags.

The beds were not extremely comfortable, but I suppose that's to be expected from hotels like this (i.e. budget ones), and we noticed some coffee spill stains on the wall that hadn't been cleaned. What was most troubling for us was the lack of lighting in the room we were staying in; there was only 1 working light in the room. The guy at reception couldn't fix the one that wasn't working, stating that he would have to call a handyman in the morning to do it (...to replace a light bulb...really?), and so we were left to sit around a very dimly lit room all night.

Overall, this isn't a terrible hotel. It's adequate and fine if you're not too fussy. However, had this not been a last minute trip and another hotel in the area was available, we wouldn't have selected it at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank newyorker91
Mark0brien, General Manager at Coronation Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Thankyou ‘newyorker91’ for posting a review of your stay at Coronation Hotel. I would like to apologise for the lack of customer service you received upon check-in. As you were aware we do not have a lift in this property due to planning regulations. I do however expect my reception staff to offer assistance if required. To answer ‘it’s not my job, I can’t help you’ is just not acceptable at all and saddens me as I take great pride in my staff and all our hotels.
It is also unacceptable for my reception is not to have changed the light bulb in your room. All my hotels have a stock of bulbs to hand ready for such an emergency. All light fitting are placed mid wall and do not require the skills of my maintenance man to change a bulb.
The rooms in the hotel are spotlessly clean as reviewed by many former guests on this site and others. I have asked the Housekeeper to check all rooms for coffee stains on the walls and they will be removed if she finds any.
I would ask that if you are reading this review to contact me directly as I would be interested to know the date and time of your visit.