“clean tiny rooms, lack of descretion”
Review of Coronation Hotel

Coronation Hotel
Ranked #305 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Rhodes Town, Greece
“clean tiny rooms, lack of descretion”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The rooms are very clean but very tiny too, even for London standards.
The keys have a massive portcles (almost half a meter) so that you leave it at reception everytime you go out of the hotel. Nothing wrong with that. But an evening I decided to get out, however, I met the receptionist on the stairs and he started asking me questions whether I am going out, which room I am and so and so forth. And he reminded me twice to leave the key at reception. It would be a much more enjoyable stay if I was not treated like somebody that would sneak out of the hotel taking a massive -otherwise useless- key with me. [NB the room was paid at check in already.]
I might overcome this feeling like 'staying at your mum's house' that I had during my stay if I wasn't shocked after I checked out: one of the receptionists added me on facebook. (They actually require guests to give an ID at check in,of which they also make a copy). Discretion is definetely not one of the assets of this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Maria M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Finnish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Ok, I'm a realist and paying £44 for a hotel room in London made me slightly apprehensive. However, the price meant that I was very pleasantly surprised.

I was staying over night for an early morning business meeting in the area. All I needed was a clean room with a comfy bed, a tv, a restaurant nearby and clean shower and bathroom.

I got all of these and with helpful, friendly service and free wi-fi included. It really was exactly what I wanted and I would recommend it. No frills but clean, friendly and in a great location. The breakfast is included in the cost and is a cheap continental so don't expect much from the cheese and ham but the croissant was better than I've had and there was as much toast as you could eat.

Thanks to the staff for being friendly and I will return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Did a late booking through booking.com and this was closet to venue I had a exhibition in I booked. The hotel was tiredd, it had no lift and I was on the 3rd floor. Room was tiny and smelled. To top it off the breakfast was a very cheap poor quality continental affair. For the price paid I should have got 5*s quality and service, in fact this hotel in one of the worst I have ever stayed at, and one of the most expensive. Keep away unless you are paying a very small amount for a room.

2 Thank 5901234567890
Mark0brien, General Manager at Coronation Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your experience at our hotel. Our hotel is situated only a few minutes’ walk from the exhibition centre making it ideal for attending exhibitions. The hotel is listed by Kensington and Chelsea Council and therefore we cannot install a lift. The hotel is well maintained by our in house maintenance team. With regards to a ‘smell room’ my Housekeeper has checked all the rooms and reported no smell.
The price you paid reflected the market demand at the time which is now standard practise in most hotels.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here for an event at Earls Court due to the location. I wish I hadn't bothered! The hotel was horrifically overpriced (inflated due to the event no doubt) for the narrowest, smallest rooms I've ever seen, a tiny single bed, and a shower room I could barely move in. The room was less than 6 foot wide, there were wires hanging down the pillow end of the bed, the TV didn't work and the walls were so thin, I got to know my colleague far more than I wanted next door!
The room was clean though.
We were on the third floor, up very narrow stairs with suitcases and no lift. Not ideal for older people or if you have trouble with stairs.
Staff were quite abrupt and not pleasant at all.
Breakfast was a tiny, cold croissant with 2 slices of plastic cheese and value ham and some toast. In the tightest, most uncomfortable breakfast room imaginable.
The staff were quite rude
The location is very close to Earls Court station but I would never bother with this hotel again and would much rather get up at 4.30am to get to an event!

Room Tip: Don't overlook the busy road which is a stones throw from Earls Court road
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Mark0brien, General Manager at Coronation Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you ‘Charlotte T’ for reviewing our hotel. You rightly point out that the hotel is situated very close to Earls Court Exhibition Centre making it ideal for anyone like yourself who is attending an exhibition there. As reviewed by other travellers our rooms are compact but they are very clean and well appointed.
As the hotel is listed we are not allowed to install a lift so we don’t advertise one.
My staff work very hard to ensure all guests have a pleasant stay as can be seen by the many positive reviews so I am not too sure where you are coming from with this.
The breakfast is a simple continental style and consists of freshly baked croissants, toast, cereals, juices, tea and coffee, ham and cheeses etc. All guests are welcome to ask for more if they wish.
The price you paid reflected the high demand in the area at the time of your stay which is standard practise in most hotels.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Single room which is probably the smallest room I ever stayed in. The bathroom was also small with the toilet right up against the wall!!

That said, location very good in a square and just minutes from Earls Court tube station.

Staff very friendly and rooms very clean

Good value but don't expect much room.

Norfolk UK
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The hotel is handy for Earls Court tube station and a number of restaurants/pubs.
Staff are friendly and helpful, but here's the thing.
The rooms are very small.
You would NOT want to stay here much more than 2 nights (whatever the price), unless you have a thing for living under the stairs.
The room was clean and the shower/toilet again although tiny, was also clean.
I paid (I think) over the odds.
If you can bag it for under £100, then it's worth a punt.

Room Tip: I have bumped up the room to average based on the cleanliness.