“an experience never to be repeated”
Review of Hallam Hotel

Hallam Hotel
Ranked #1,022 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 April 2013

two twin and one double room booked for sat 27th april 2013 ,on arrival the best part of the hotel was the entrance. once past the front door the whole place ,was in need of decorating,worn out carpets and dirty curtains.all three en-suites were old.the bath in room six was unusable as most of the enamel had worn off and was badly water stained.it was too late to change hotels and we had travelled too far ,so we had no choice but to stick with it.hair in the bed did not help .
the only 2 staff we saw 1 receptionist and 1 waitress were helpfull and did their best for us,it was a feeling of they were doing the best they could under such cicumstances.
needless to say we will take note of reviews in future

Room Tip: there are no good tips
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Needed three rooms for Wednesday night near City of London. Booked this Hotel as last resort as all others we tried had hugely inflated prices (Travel Lodge, Premier Inn both wanted £280.00/room!). The whole place is dated, tired and shabby..... However it has a great location, walking distance from Regents Park, Euston etc. the bedding and towels were well laundered if a bit frayed! We chose not to breakfast there (inc. in price) but found nice place 5-6 mins walk away. Don't expect much, or use this as holiday base, but if you just need a handy cheap bed for the night it is fine.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The hotel is perfectly located in a lovely neighborhood. In walking distance of many great spots in London.

I stayed in a single room on the fourth floor. It was small, old but very clean. The sheets and towels where all new and I got clean ones every day. I also had a great view.

Breakfast was included and wonderful. Full English breakfast (eggs/ sausage/ beans/ tomato/ toast) but they also had toast with jam/ marmalade/ butter or different kinds of cereal.

Staff was friendly.

The internet on the top floors didn't work, but there was free internet available on the lower levels (in the breakfast room/ lobby and first floor).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Booked this hotel in december 2012 as was near to an event we were attending. Arrived at the hotel, checked in and then the gentlemen at reception said "oh and i have something to tell you" the double room we booked in december was no longer available and that we now had two single rooms instead !! To be fair he did appologise and offered us the two single rooms for free however i did not feel this was good enough. I would of appreciated a telephone call before hand so i could of arranged my own alternative accommodation near to the event we were attending. Initally i accepted the two rooms however on entering one of the single rooms the smell of stale cigerette smoke was discusting. I tried to put up with it, however there was no way i could sleep in that room . Went back to reception to explain that we could not stay here and we was then moved to another hotel approx a 10 minite drive away. The hotel did pay the extra £25.oo for the other hotel room and gave us £10 for the taxi fare over there. Although the Hallam offered us alternatives and had arranged another double room in a different hotel i think they should of telephoned me before hand to explain the double room i booked in december was no longer available. This would of given me the oppurtunity to arrange other accommodation of my choice. The single room at the hallam was not very nice either , small , cramped and despite the window being open fully (and the weather freezing outside) it smelt awful of stale cigerette smoke. I would not consider ever booking here again. I would rather pay the extra for another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I needed to extend my stay in London at the very last moment which in itself was problematic. I spent hours and hours into the night on the internet to find an economical place. Bear in mind London is not cheap. Every service - expedia, priceline, kayak, hotel.com etc came up with no options. I finally found an option - the Hallam Hotel - which I called just after midnight. They had an available room - not cheap but the only solution. I gave my credit card details, personal details, email address, got a confirmation code and breathed a sigh of relief. How foolish us mortals can be! I called the next morning to re-confirm as I wanted to double check and advise them that I would be checking in around 5pm. Everything was set and they told me that I could check-in anytime after 2p. I went about my day, had numerous business meetings and jumped in a taxicab late afternoon. When I arrived at 5.30pm the gentleman on reception said that they had sold out and the person who took my booking that night should have known. I said that that was all well and good but I that had called that morning to confirm and spoke to another person who confirmed my room and mentioned nothing. The gentleman on reception said that they had tried to call me but that was obviously a LIE as I received no call or phone message! When I retorted why hadn't they emailed me then since they had all my details, he just stared at me blankly. He said that they had booked me in another hotel a short taxicab ride away and basically that was that. By this time I was completely irritated but had no choice than to lug all my luggage to the other hotel that they had transferred my reservation to. So, I jump in another taxicab and head off. This was not a hotel more like a hostel, and in the spirit of the chain of incompetence, when the staff checked the reservation it was only for one night not the two that I had required when I booked the first hotel. By this time I was livid and out on the street corner in freezing temperatures with a pile of luggage and no where to stay for the night. It sounds like a great premise for the beginning of a movie, but trust me, this would not be a comedy. So the bottom line is that I didn't even get to stay at the Hallam Street hotel as the incompetence of the staff was shocking. My advice is that I would avoid at all costs since if this was any indication of the way the hotel is run, I lucked out despite the inconvenience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2013

My wife and I were booked for 5 nights at the hotel but could only take 2 - we literally paid for 2 nights, walked out and went down the road to another hotel - my oh my what a difference. It was that bad. Where to begin...
The carpet before you get to the room, in the corridor, think forest trail, it was that dirty, you could see a path where to walk!!
The filth - I just ran my hand against the 'tiled' wall in the bathroom and fingers came off a dark grey with filth!!! Not to mention the dubious stains on the shower floor!!
The water in the shower trickling out and cold too!!
The bed cover was literally confusing, could not tell where the stains ended and the faded design began. The mattress has had not just better days but I think it's better to say better centuries.
The lift to get to the room was straight out of the 1930's with the fencing on the inside to activate it - very scary to say the least but the cherry on the cake was the breakfast!!!
We were the only people in the restaurant - so that's 2 people, there were 2 choices English breakfast or cereals etc... we chose English - 20 mins later the lovely (sarcasm intended) lady comes - ooh sorry Sir is it ok we are out of eggs, I'll get you this part and get you the eggs in a few minutes, 15 mins later I see a chap running down the stairs with a bag for a local super market and the wobbly floppy eggs coming on a side plate - ITS A HOTEL AND WE WERE ALONE HAVING ENGLISH BREAKFAST!!!
Such a pity as the location as the potential to be great if only it were managed properly!!!
But something positive - erm... it's a pretty hotel to look at on the outside :o) but other than that - keep away!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel just down the road behind the BBC
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2013

First impression through the door if the pungent smell doesnt hit your nose then the dirty interior will make cringe and bring tears to your eyes. Put it down to experience turn around and leave or enter the rooms at your peril youv'e been warned ! Please note I did Not stay in this hotel ...I turned around and fled

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends