“Decent”

Thistle Bloomsbury Park
Ranked #415 of 1,090 Hotels in London
“Decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

With a deceptive entrance you enter the reception area which is tucked in and walk narrow stairs to reach your room which is small for two becomes a crowd, neat, tidy and decent. Staff very supportive and breakfast very good. Well located with lots of dining options in and around. All essential requirements provided in the room including an iron with a table neatly tucked at the back of the cupboard. Stayed for 2N and found it comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rhishi T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Galesburg, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not the Bloomsbury hotel. It is very comfortable. We had a large bathtub but the bathroom was a little snug. You had to close the door to even use the toilet. The rooms are snug but not as small as compared to other hotels. Te restaurant has an amazing breakfast.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank kdrum82
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

The best is the staff, they are extremely friendly!! Breakfast is fresh with a good choice.
Rooms are simple, but modern and very clean.
Location: a short walk away from the British Museum and many restaurants, bars and shops within short walking distance. Around the corner is a nice pub, called the Swan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT on the main street side
2 Thank Soepkip
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed just one night at this hotel as this was my first venture to London alone. The staff here are excellent-customer service at its best. The room was not large but perfectly adequate for me and everything was clean and functioned well. I had asked for a quiet room and got one at the back. I stayed on a Monday night so it wasn't too busy. The breakfast was extremely good and the location for me near the British Museum and the Doughty street home of Charles Dickens was great. I have rarely met such lovely hotel staff and I am 72. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and was given one at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank AHartley737
Wolverhampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

stayed here for one night room only. Could have booked breakfast for £10 on arrival and was £14 if left till morning decided to leave and find somewhere near by. The hotel was clean and tidy, the staff were friendly enough. The room was a decent size although the bathroom was a bit tight with a shower toilet and sink, enough of course but not the big so left door open. Hotel has free wifi, certainly useful in todays world. This hotel is well positioned and if you know London you wont need taxi's till you legs ache that is, or you get fed up with the tube!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeenThereWillYou
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

the location of this hotel is very good and very central. The room unfortunately a bit on the small side. food buffet style breakfast ok but laying for too long keeping warm. shame the bar shut so early and no one around to find to serve after it was shut.

1 Thank herries2116
Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Check in was polite, efficient and pretty friendly. Good news that breakfast was available from 6.30, though less good news was that they said it doesn’t usually arrive until 15 minutes after that but hopefully I wouldn’t be up that early anyway they chuckled. I reached my unenchanting room on the 4th floor in the geriatric lift, which has had its age hidden by a weapons-grade amount of mirrors. Sadly, they are all different and not completely accurate I suspect, where one made me think I’d better lay off the carbs for a couple of months for me to turn around and see another only to think I’d better have a rapid infusion of cake or I might not make it till morning.

My room was a bit shoddy and unloved. It was clean and tidy, but the carpet didn’t fit properly and I would say the finishing was not of a good standard. My inexplicably warm room had a fire alarm inside the wardrobe, which I am not convinced is really legal but was a novel experience for me. Hitting it with a pen confirmed it made a suitable bell-like noise. I am not sure at what decibel level cotton becomes unstable, so I felt it best to only leave my socks in that part of the wardrobe. I can always buy more. I hid my shirt in the bathroom where it might be safer. In any case, the wardrobe was mostly filled by an ironing board, spare pillows, a large fan, a safe and of course, what else but, a fire alarm.

The random mirrors theme continued in my room. One was a beech-framed brown tinted one. I thought this was a great feature as I was able to gaze into it and see how I would have looked in the 1970s. The bathroom was similarly clean and tidy, but again not a very good standard. The care-home grey vinyl floor was eclipsed only by the various bits of plastic trim cut by what I presume was a very nervous person with a stanley knife. The bathroom also combined showering with exercise as the floor sloped uphill to the bath. It took me some time to realise this as, to be fair, I was not expecting it. I had been concerned for a moment that my hips had somehow slipped out of alignment causing one leg to be longer than the other while I used the toilet. The discovery of the sloping floor came as a blessed relief I can tell you.

The windows are old single-glazed sash ones. My room was on a side street and mercifully not on the main road, as I imagine this would be very noisy. I also imagine a side room is pretty noisy in summer as there are a couple of pubs outside. After rolling back the decades in the mirror I thought I would try to cool my by now unfeasibly and damnably warm room by opening the window. Clearly this is only to allow The Borrowers to escape as it will only open about an inch and a half thanks to a safety cord.

There are other hotels nearby that provide better value for money than this one. I shan’t be staying again.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here if I were you. However, if you do then best avoid being in the front.
1 Thank Andrew R