“Good all rounder”

Ranked #420 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Cardiff UK
“Good all rounder”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hotel room (room 403)was not a bad size for London. It was big enough for a small desk and chair, two arm chairs and a table, a double bed and a 32 inch TV.

Gadget freaks will enjoy the TV. You can play apps on it, view your bill and check out on it, hook a laptop to it via the HDMI cable provided or just read the instructions that tell you how to use the TV, the BOSE Bluetooth sound system or the living lights feature.

The breakfast was self serve with plenty of choice. All staff were very friendly.

The downside was my room, like all the front facing rooms, suffered from traffic noise. This was more of a problem because it was such a hot night I had to keep the windows open to get some air in. The hotel does provide a fan but really air con is needed.

However, if you are a shopper the location will be fine. It took me only five minutes to walk to Oxford street.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid traffic noise ask for a room towards the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed the smart rooms and grateful that you went into depth over what they offer.

Seb Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Derby
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. It's location is very convenient for getting out and about. The staff are pleasant and very helpful, special mention for Mo who entertained us in the bar. We only ate breakfast but there was plenty of choice and it was very good.
It is a very old hotel and it does need a bit of money spending on some air conditioning in the rooms, hot and humid weather over the weekend made it extremely uncomfortable at night despite the fan that is provided. We were told that a refit is on the cards and this will definitely be a benefit.
We found the beds clean and comfortable unlike another recent reviewer, and as it is on a main road so you should expect some noise. The room size is on a par with quite a lot that I have stayed in, its not the ritz but you don't pay ritz prices. It's a good clean friendly hotel and we would definitely return here.

Room Tip: 207 overlooks an alley with bars so if you need the window open at night expect some noise
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review. Free free to contact us directly in the future so we can quote you the best available rate.

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I come from South Africa - our definition of 4 star-rated and 5 star-rated hotels obviously does not gel with the quality of hotels in London. Convenient location, yes, but the rooms are really tiny and cramped, and I swear I could feel the bed bugs biting me. Lots of noise through the steel windows, even after midnight. The lifts were slow and ancient, and only 3 people could fit into it at any point in time. Several people at the hotel voiced similar gripes. I did not breakfast at the hotel but ate at the Starbucks next door.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Natasha A
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I'd just like to clarify that we are a three star hotel and not four or five star. All the same, we aim to completely satisfy all guests and I am sorry that you were not on this occasion.

We investigate all feedback, particularly when serious issues are raised. With regards to bed bugs, we've had an external expert test the rooms and have concluded that there were no bed bugs present.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here overnight while meeting friends in Covent Garden. Everything was spot on from the moment I arrived at the hotel. Check in was quick and efficient. The staff were friendly and helped out with directions. Nice clean rooms. Breakfast was great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debleena B
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review. If you're looking to stay again then please feel free to contact us directly.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

good location, clean room, friendly and helpful staff. The particular experience with me is that when I checked out, I forgot my passport and the 1000 pounds that I had put in the safe in my room. It was when I was in another city about 8 hours later that I thought of these things. I wrote an email and called the reception, and the lady who answered the call calmed me and comforted me a lot. Only a few minutes later, they retrieved my passport and my money, and replied my email, assuring me that everything was safe. You can imagine what a relief it was.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank yp d
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your story and for your feedback. Forgetting something important or valuable is never a nice situation to be in, and I'm sure that most of us will have been there before. So I'm very glad that the team responded appropriately and that we were of course able to locate your valuables.

Westchester, NY
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Kingsley Hotel in Bloomsbury is incredibly convenient to the Holborn tube station, the British Museum and Convent Garden and within walking distance of shows and Trafalgar Square. Room suite was large enough to accommodate family including two teens. We had good working air conditioning, bathrooms were immaculate and renovated and beds were luxurious. this is a boutique hotel and I believe is trying to make the leap from above budget to boutique luxury. It misses the mark a bit with staff a bit out of it but all in all a very good stay and a good price. I'd choose this hotel over many other large chains. Wi fi is free and works very very well. That alone is a great selling point.

Room Tip: Ask for suite if you are traveling with family.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nandy5
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review. We're always looking at ways of improving our product so the feedback you've provided has been very useful in this regard.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked this hotel for its location as our weekend base to go to Monty Python Live and explore The West End and Covent Garden being about 15 minutes stroll from Euston a Station.
Check in was friendly and efficient, rooms (we had 2) we're comfortable and well sound-proofed from traffic noise. The recently added Comfort mattresses were very, very comfortable and everyone slept well, which doesn't always happen when away from home. The rooms were not air conditioned but we were provided with electric fans which were very welcome during the warm nights. The bathrooms were compact but the showers were among the best we have ever encountered in any hotel!
The staff were helpful and friendly at all times, especially after I left my jacket on a chair in the bar - when I went back 10 minutes later, it was safely stored behind a Reception. Also we managed to lose one of our room jets but it was no bother to Reception to replace it and reprogramme both for security.
We did not eat in the hotel, preferring to have breakfast out (Silva's on Shaftesbury Avenue did a superb full English). We ate one meal close to the hotel - Cosmoba us an Italian restaurant in Cosmo Place, which runs between Southampton Row and Queen's Square. The food and the service were excellent.
All in all we had a very enjoyable weekend at the Bloomsbury Park and we will certainly return there for our next London weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for the great review. We look forward to seeing you in the future.