“A really friendly hotel... made to feel so welcome”

Thistle Bloomsbury Park
Ranked #434 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“A really friendly hotel... made to feel so welcome”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel is so central for "doing" London. I had a room at the side so the noise was less than on the front? The road outside is busy, but that makes it easy to hail a taxi!
The room was a good size and the bathroom ( no bath!)/ shower room was clean and functional. In fact the shower was a blessing in the heat!! All towels were changed daily and the complimentary tea tray in the room was a welcome sight at the end of a busy day.
The room service food was excellent and great value for the price, though a room tray charge and voluntary service charge I felt was a bit much to tag onto the price.
The bed was comfortable and the fan in the room was a wonderful relief from the heat as well as windows that opened for a short distance.... air conditioning would be nice!!
The staff were very friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough to help. Breakfast choice was excellent and there was always plenty to choose from.
I enjoyed my stay and would return if in London again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors and either to the back or side as they are a bit quieter!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Raptormad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Room was basic and clean, bathroom a good size for this type of hotel. Had TV, free wifi, hairdryer, tea and coffee. No aircon though for thoses of you that like your aircon, but there was a fan blowing in my room when I checked -in. There is a lift, which is a bonus as I was on the 5th floor. The staff were friendly. I left my luggage with them (as I arrived before check-in time) so I could go for a walk round. Also on the last day my train wasn't until 4.30pm, check out was 12noon, and again I left my bags there so I could have a wander into the city centre. The breakfast was good. I think for the price the I paid it was what I would have expected, if not slightly better (compared to others I've stayed in for more money). Its minutes away from the Russell Square underground and 5 minutes from Holburn underground. It took me about 20-25 minutes to walk to The Strand for those of you wanting to know how close it is to everything. There is no reason why I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: sleeping at front of hotels always expect noise from the traffic on main roads.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Littlecalfuk
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Bloomsbury is quite a far walk to oxford street but would be suitable for a taxi/bus or tube... The staff were very pleasant and the room is adequate, all the appliances you could need but quite small so I would only recommend for a short stay. Me and my boyfriend stayed for 3 nights and we were found that long enough. Also situated right next too a Starbucks which did come in handy!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Looking at the cost versus the value as a location for museum exploring, access to the tubes and buses, and the incredible breakfast, this would have been an easy 5/5. This is my 7th hotel experience abroad from America. I've seen a range of what the UK and Normandy has to offer from the Waldorf in London on down. I use hotels as bases for exploration, not a destination for pampering or luxury in themselves.

Plus column: This hotel has the friendliest and actually cheerful staff I've yet encountered. Bath was amazingly stocked (razor, toothbrushes, shoe polisher sponge). It is close (two minutes' walk) to two different tube lines (Picadilly and Central) and many bus stops, so London is your Oyster. It is very close to the British Museum, which should deserve two days of your time. Bed was very comfy, sheets changed for us daily. Again, for the price, it is a 5/5 for location for exploring London.

A special mention of the Full English Breakfast buffet option: It tied in my mind for "the best" hotel-provided F.E.B. with the Waldorf, and is better than most restaurant FEB's I've tried. I mean it, it is GREAT, constantly looked after for supply and cleanliness and freshness. It is SO good, however, it is a double-edged sword if you are hoping for food adventures about London as I was. What I mean is, no matter how much I steeled myself to only have a small breakfast, the temptation was too great, and I found myself at multiple markets (Borough, Exmouth, Brick Lane) looking at amazing street food... with a full stomach. My advice is to get the Full English Breakfast at least once at the Thistle, just to experience what the Gold-standard should be, and don't make lunch plans.

Neutral comments: I'm coming from 88°F weather, so the lack of air conditioning was not a big deal to us. Windows open with no mosquitoes and only one fly, the fan on, we were fine. Europe is OLD compared to almost anything in the US, so room size, creaking floors, low headroom stairs, are all par for the course.

The negative column: While it likely had to be retrofitted, the lift was even tinier and even slower than most UK hotels. We got a great rate on what turned out to be the top floor, which had NO lift service, which was rough on my painful knees. If this was mentioned to my wife (who made the reservation) she didn't pass it along to me. The lift is so slow, many people give up and take the stairs down, which means if you start at the top, you will likely stop at half of the floors with no one there, which triples the travel time and snowballs into... well, let's say don't be in a rush to get in or out during breakfast. You know, as I was writing this, I had given Thistle-Bloomsbury Park a 4/5, but considering we were not going for Waldorf-luxury, just a base of operations with a roof and a bed, I am changing it to 5/5.

Room Tip: 6th floor or lower, get as close to the ground floor as you can avoid the lift at all costs. 7th flo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Stourbridge
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel is reasonably priced and perfectly located for theatre land and Covent Garden which are easily reached on foot. Great transport links to all parts of London. The standard rooms are adequate, clean and functional. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The self serve buffet style breakfast is plentiful and full of choice with full English and/or continental fayre. We stayed for two nights and it was a pleasant stay. The only let down was our room was not air conditioned but an electric fan was available in the room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback - You've highlighted many of our best features. If you're looking to stay in this part of London again then hopefully we'll see you in the future. Please contact us directly for the best available rate.

Kind regards,

Seb Williams
Barton-upon-Humber, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Lovely friendly staff who allowed us an early check in (around 11am). Room tidy and neat but soooo hot - no air conditioning. Quiet room at the back though. A Quiet hotel perfectly located for the West End / Soho / Covent Garden.

Room Tip: ask for quiet room at the back
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. The positive feedback is very much appreciated, and I want to assure you that your other comments are also being looked into because we're always investing in our product.

Best regards,

Seb
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Very, very disappointing. I did not think it was cheap either, as others have stated, but perhaps for London it was OK.
We had booked and paid for double rooms, next to each other. We were given single rooms, my firend on the 1st floor, me on the 7th floor [had to walk up 2 flights of stairs]. Could we have been any further apart? We complained and contacted our travel agent in Melbourne, and were moved the next day. At least we were both on the 2nd floor. We had a double bed this time, but the rooms was still the same size, in fact the bathroom was smaller. Yes, they had free WiFi, bit I have just come back from 4 weeks overseas, and everywhere I stayed had free WiFi, and I mean everywhere.
The staff were all very nice, but quite hopeless. They didn't seem to know where we had been moved to, and even the next day, several seemed to think we were still in our original rooms. Only one staff member seemed to have any local knowledge. None of them could give you much information about shops, restaurants, buses, etc. They either gave up, or looked online, which I could have done myself,. There were no maps at reception, no tourguides, no information at all. Quite unusual for any hotel, especially a chain one, and in London. The location was very good, and handy for many thngs, as we found out by ourselves.
I hve to mention the lift also. It became a joke, only not that funny. It didnt work a few times, and when it did, was the slowest lift I have honestly ever seen. It always seemed to need to go up and then down beforeit came to your floor. Needs some work I would think. Also no air conditioning, although I realise this is a problem in London. It was quite warm and humid while we were there, and they gave us fans, and then a small air conditioner. I used mine, but my friend couldn't stand the noise, and mine did stop working after awhile anyway. But at least they tried.

Room Tip: My room was a bit noisy, backed on to a lane. Ones at the front wouldhave been noisy I think. But...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Faye47_11
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and for providing such depth. This kind of feedback really allows us to see where we are. Clearly you were not completely satisfied on this occasion but I want to assure you though that we do everything we can to ensure our product and customer service is relevant and up to date.

Just to clarify - we do actually provide tour guides and maps at reception. All guests need to do is ask and we can provide a range for you.

King regards,