“Appalling room: noisy and hot - friendly staff - good location” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thistle Bloomsbury Park

Thistle Bloomsbury Park
Ranked #407 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Brough, United Kingdom
“Appalling room: noisy and hot - friendly staff - good location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I had the misfortune of staying in Room 12 whilst overnighting in London on business.

The room was absolutely horrendous. Firstly, it was the size of a shoebox: it was so small, I had to lay out my case in front of the door just to unpack. Secondly, the room was so incredibly hot as there was no air-conditioning in the hotel whatsoever.

The heat could have been mitigated somewhat by opening the window, however the room faced in the direction of a neighbouring karaoke bar, which pumps out a continuous bass and high-pitched squealing (singing) until midnight during the week and later on weekends (so I was told by the reception staff). After raising my complaint about the room with the duty manager, I was told there were no other rooms available, so essentially I would have to make do or find another hotel, despite explicitly requesting a quiet room in my booking request.

I knew at that point I would not be in for a decent, restful night's sleep - it was either going to be noisy and cool(er), or quiet(er) and hot. I opted for quiet(er) and hot, although much of the noise was still audible as the window was single-paned. I did find an oscillating desk fan in the cupboard, however this made more noise than the karaoke bar and only served to recirculate the hot air.

After getting about three hours sleep, I awoke, showered and went for breakfast, which was surprisingly nice: a decent range of cooked items, a selection of breads and pastries, and fruit and yogurt. The restaurant staff were friendly and attentive.

After breakfast, I checked out and spoke with the reception manager. She acknowledged the room isn't ideal and that air-conditioning should be available, as it is in most modern hotels. I was offered a complimentary upgrade on my next visit, which I declined as I've no intention of ever staying there again.

They can clearly fill the rooms, as it is a prime Central London location, however for the rate I paid I can get much more value for money and a decent night's sleep by staying elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paul H
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest

It's important for any business to hear guest feedback so thank you very much for taking the time to do this. We're always investing in our product, and your comments will help us in establishing priorities.

Regarding your stay, we do always try to match customer room requests but it is never something we are able to 100% guarantee.

You're always welcome back and as you have my details, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Kind regards,

Seb Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had a room on the corner with good views to people watch on the street below. The hotel had all we needed. Unfortunately there was a problem with our booking as we booked through an online agent (Amoma) and the booking wasn't in the hotel's system. But I am not sure if it was the hotel's fault or the agent's. However, the hotel had a room available and we only had to wait 5 minutes whilst the issue was resolved. Breakfast was delicious - please can you serve hash browns! The room had a strange colour change light in it that was a bit gimmicky but we had fun playing with it. No air con but had a fan and we weren't too hot even with the windows closed to reduce the street noise, but we expected that being in central London on a main road.

Room Tip: Corner room gives a bit more space
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel is so central for "doing" London. I had a room at the side so the noise was less than on the front? The road outside is busy, but that makes it easy to hail a taxi!
The room was a good size and the bathroom ( no bath!)/ shower room was clean and functional. In fact the shower was a blessing in the heat!! All towels were changed daily and the complimentary tea tray in the room was a welcome sight at the end of a busy day.
The room service food was excellent and great value for the price, though a room tray charge and voluntary service charge I felt was a bit much to tag onto the price.
The bed was comfortable and the fan in the room was a wonderful relief from the heat as well as windows that opened for a short distance.... air conditioning would be nice!!
The staff were very friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough to help. Breakfast choice was excellent and there was always plenty to choose from.
I enjoyed my stay and would return if in London again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors and either to the back or side as they are a bit quieter!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Raptormad
Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Room was basic and clean, bathroom a good size for this type of hotel. Had TV, free wifi, hairdryer, tea and coffee. No aircon though for thoses of you that like your aircon, but there was a fan blowing in my room when I checked -in. There is a lift, which is a bonus as I was on the 5th floor. The staff were friendly. I left my luggage with them (as I arrived before check-in time) so I could go for a walk round. Also on the last day my train wasn't until 4.30pm, check out was 12noon, and again I left my bags there so I could have a wander into the city centre. The breakfast was good. I think for the price the I paid it was what I would have expected, if not slightly better (compared to others I've stayed in for more money). Its minutes away from the Russell Square underground and 5 minutes from Holburn underground. It took me about 20-25 minutes to walk to The Strand for those of you wanting to know how close it is to everything. There is no reason why I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: sleeping at front of hotels always expect noise from the traffic on main roads.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
1 Thank Littlecalfuk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Bloomsbury is quite a far walk to oxford street but would be suitable for a taxi/bus or tube... The staff were very pleasant and the room is adequate, all the appliances you could need but quite small so I would only recommend for a short stay. Me and my boyfriend stayed for 3 nights and we were found that long enough. Also situated right next too a Starbucks which did come in handy!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Looking at the cost versus the value as a location for museum exploring, access to the tubes and buses, and the incredible breakfast, this would have been an easy 5/5. This is my 7th hotel experience abroad from America. I've seen a range of what the UK and Normandy has to offer from the Waldorf in London on down. I use hotels as bases for exploration, not a destination for pampering or luxury in themselves.

Plus column: This hotel has the friendliest and actually cheerful staff I've yet encountered. Bath was amazingly stocked (razor, toothbrushes, shoe polisher sponge). It is close (two minutes' walk) to two different tube lines (Picadilly and Central) and many bus stops, so London is your Oyster. It is very close to the British Museum, which should deserve two days of your time. Bed was very comfy, sheets changed for us daily. Again, for the price, it is a 5/5 for location for exploring London.

A special mention of the Full English Breakfast buffet option: It tied in my mind for "the best" hotel-provided F.E.B. with the Waldorf, and is better than most restaurant FEB's I've tried. I mean it, it is GREAT, constantly looked after for supply and cleanliness and freshness. It is SO good, however, it is a double-edged sword if you are hoping for food adventures about London as I was. What I mean is, no matter how much I steeled myself to only have a small breakfast, the temptation was too great, and I found myself at multiple markets (Borough, Exmouth, Brick Lane) looking at amazing street food... with a full stomach. My advice is to get the Full English Breakfast at least once at the Thistle, just to experience what the Gold-standard should be, and don't make lunch plans.

Neutral comments: I'm coming from 88°F weather, so the lack of air conditioning was not a big deal to us. Windows open with no mosquitoes and only one fly, the fan on, we were fine. Europe is OLD compared to almost anything in the US, so room size, creaking floors, low headroom stairs, are all par for the course.

The negative column: While it likely had to be retrofitted, the lift was even tinier and even slower than most UK hotels. We got a great rate on what turned out to be the top floor, which had NO lift service, which was rough on my painful knees. If this was mentioned to my wife (who made the reservation) she didn't pass it along to me. The lift is so slow, many people give up and take the stairs down, which means if you start at the top, you will likely stop at half of the floors with no one there, which triples the travel time and snowballs into... well, let's say don't be in a rush to get in or out during breakfast. You know, as I was writing this, I had given Thistle-Bloomsbury Park a 4/5, but considering we were not going for Waldorf-luxury, just a base of operations with a roof and a bed, I am changing it to 5/5.

Room Tip: 6th floor or lower, get as close to the ground floor as you can avoid the lift at all costs. 7th flo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Stourbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel is reasonably priced and perfectly located for theatre land and Covent Garden which are easily reached on foot. Great transport links to all parts of London. The standard rooms are adequate, clean and functional. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The self serve buffet style breakfast is plentiful and full of choice with full English and/or continental fayre. We stayed for two nights and it was a pleasant stay. The only let down was our room was not air conditioned but an electric fan was available in the room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback - You've highlighted many of our best features. If you're looking to stay in this part of London again then hopefully we'll see you in the future. Please contact us directly for the best available rate.

Kind regards,