“Room average, food rubbish, service good”

Thistle Bloomsbury Park
Ranked #436 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Room average, food rubbish, service good”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here for three nights and besides the service we were unimpressed. We were a group of three, and the room was at the top floor with a sofa bed folded out. Adequate, but had no floor space at all with the bed folded out.
Fittings and decor tired, and shabby in places, and the shower was rubbish. For such an establishment, I thought it would be able to provide something better than a shower in the bath with a curtain.
Service for the room was adequate, after calling for the correct number of towels etc. The staff in the dining room were very helpful
The food was the MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. The breakfast was luke warm at best, with some being cold. Also we were down quite early at times, and some food looked if it had been reheated from the previous day
We had dinner there on the final night prior to leaving, and had the fish pie, which looked as if it had been made some time before, and heated up This was dead cold in the middle, and I requested it be taken back to the kitchen. To my disgust, they returned the same partly eaten pie after being obviously microwaved, and didn't even bother to remove the side serve of vegetables, as these were steaming, and the rest just above warm.
The staff offered me free coffee or sweets to placate me but I declined, and left totally unsatisfied in regards to the chef.
I will not be returning, and would not recommend the place until they sack the chef

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for the feedback. I was disappointed to read these comments. I've tried to contact you to discuss this further but have been unable to reach you so far. If you read this then please contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Seb Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Hotton, Belgium
Reviewed 22 August 2014

A very nice place for a citytrip to London. A lot of museums, tubes, restaurants, squares, pubs,....
Nearly to the St Pancras and king's cross station,,,,,,,, verry easy to move, a nice experience in the City

1 Thank Tof L
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here for one night in August 2014, and after some pretty dismal stays in London I was not expecting much- but the Bloomsbury Park surpassed expectations! The location is great- we were heading to the theatre and was able to walk there and back in around 15 minutes. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was all on the small side- but you seem to get that in central London, it was cosy, nice decor and very clean. Breakfast was delicious with a huge amount to choose from! Would definitely stay here again :)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

After much searching, my friend and I booked and paid for a Standard Double room each, close together for three nights at this Hotel. However, this is not what we were given on arrival. I, a single bed with a very squeaky floor in a single room on the second floor, with my friend the same on the seventh floor. The lift only went to the 6th floor and then two lots of stairs to her room. Not impressed!!! You're supposed to get what you paid for right!! Yes well, upon complaining at reception, there were no other rooms available for the first night, however, after contacting our agent, the next two nights would be in the correct rooms close together. thank goodness.Then there was the great mix up of, when our bags were to be in the right rooms and when we could go into the said rooms, what a debarkle. The staff did not know what was going on. What time, which room, where our bags were, definitely a total lack of communication between all concerned. Yes the rooms were hot, yes they supplied an air cooler which was noisy then stopped working after a while. At Reception there were no leaflets on things to see, or information maps, even After Asking Staff, I received vague answers like "I'm not sure, we did have some somewhere, sorry we don't have any." This was definitely the least favorite out of all the seven Hotels on my Trip, as I said I was very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2014

excellent hotel, quiet, clean rooms, free Wi-Fi.
It is recommended to ask for a room only at the front of the hotel.
Generous staff. A varied breakfast
I went there on a recommendation from friendsֿ..

Room Tip: It is recommended to ask for a room at the front of the hotel only
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Niro R
Brough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I had the misfortune of staying in Room 12 whilst overnighting in London on business.

The room was absolutely horrendous. Firstly, it was the size of a shoebox: it was so small, I had to lay out my case in front of the door just to unpack. Secondly, the room was so incredibly hot as there was no air-conditioning in the hotel whatsoever.

The heat could have been mitigated somewhat by opening the window, however the room faced in the direction of a neighbouring karaoke bar, which pumps out a continuous bass and high-pitched squealing (singing) until midnight during the week and later on weekends (so I was told by the reception staff). After raising my complaint about the room with the duty manager, I was told there were no other rooms available, so essentially I would have to make do or find another hotel, despite explicitly requesting a quiet room in my booking request.

I knew at that point I would not be in for a decent, restful night's sleep - it was either going to be noisy and cool(er), or quiet(er) and hot. I opted for quiet(er) and hot, although much of the noise was still audible as the window was single-paned. I did find an oscillating desk fan in the cupboard, however this made more noise than the karaoke bar and only served to recirculate the hot air.

After getting about three hours sleep, I awoke, showered and went for breakfast, which was surprisingly nice: a decent range of cooked items, a selection of breads and pastries, and fruit and yogurt. The restaurant staff were friendly and attentive.

After breakfast, I checked out and spoke with the reception manager. She acknowledged the room isn't ideal and that air-conditioning should be available, as it is in most modern hotels. I was offered a complimentary upgrade on my next visit, which I declined as I've no intention of ever staying there again.

They can clearly fill the rooms, as it is a prime Central London location, however for the rate I paid I can get much more value for money and a decent night's sleep by staying elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul H
sebwilliams, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest

It's important for any business to hear guest feedback so thank you very much for taking the time to do this. We're always investing in our product, and your comments will help us in establishing priorities.

Regarding your stay, we do always try to match customer room requests but it is never something we are able to 100% guarantee.

You're always welcome back and as you have my details, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Kind regards,

Seb Williams
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had a room on the corner with good views to people watch on the street below. The hotel had all we needed. Unfortunately there was a problem with our booking as we booked through an online agent (Amoma) and the booking wasn't in the hotel's system. But I am not sure if it was the hotel's fault or the agent's. However, the hotel had a room available and we only had to wait 5 minutes whilst the issue was resolved. Breakfast was delicious - please can you serve hash browns! The room had a strange colour change light in it that was a bit gimmicky but we had fun playing with it. No air con but had a fan and we weren't too hot even with the windows closed to reduce the street noise, but we expected that being in central London on a main road.

Room Tip: Corner room gives a bit more space