“Quiet, modern and friendly hotel in great location”
Review of The Marylebone

The Marylebone
Ranked #60 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My Husband and I stayed 2 nights at The Marylebone for his birthday recently. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome. The reception staff were courteous and efficient and we were offered refreshing towels. There was a wonderful smell in reception coming from a large candle on a console table near the lounge. One of the reception staff gave me the details as I was keen to know where I could purchase it. The spa/gym looked modern and well equiped. We had a superior room on the 5th floor at the end of a corridoor. The room was modern and light with a good sized bed. There was a good size flat screen tv but I was a little surprised by the lack of movies. It was very quiet so we had a good first night sleep (very important on a unusually child free weekend). The bathroom however was where the experience was let down a little. The bath panel looked tatty, there was a very 70s looking shaving mirror and telephone, most of the pipework was pitted and the toilet roll holder kept falling off. Also the hooks holding the bath robes hung over the toilet roll holder. When we went down for breakfast the staff addressed us by name. The continental breakfast was very comprehensive and the staff couldn't do enough to help. The toast wasn't the basic cheap brown/white dry thin stuff which can often be disappointing. Preserves by Tiptree, pots of marmite (we are in the love it camp), shot glasses of smoothies and plenty of fresh fruit and a nice selection of cold meat/cheese/fish amongst other things. There was also a selection of complimentary newspapers. The bar was quite buzzy and a good selection of drinks at typical London hotel prices plus a good range of light bites. Upon checkout we were offered bottles of water for our journey home. Overall it was a great stay and we would consider booking this hotel next time we are in London. I wanted to rate it as four and a half out of five but couldn't work out how to do it!

Room Tip: high floor towards the end of the corridoor
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
TheMaryleboneHotel, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all happy belated birthday to your husband and thank you so much for writing a fantastic review on tripadvisor.

I am so thrilled to read you enjoyed your time here at the Marylebone Hotel and you liked the welcome journey right the way through to the snack in our bar One08.

You will be also happy to hear we are in the middle of an investment project for the bathrooms to bring them up to the same level of quality and service that is delivered through out the hotel.

Thank you again for your review and your recent stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours truly

Mark Jonathan Heyburn
Rooms Manager

There are newer reviews for The Marylebone

Reviewed 12 September 2012

All the staff at the Marylebone Hotel from our arrival to departure were the most friendly, welcoming and efficient of any hotel I have stayed at. The location makes a perfect base for exploring and shopping in London and a welcome retreat to return to after a busy day out and about. Our rooms were spacious and very comfortable and clean, there is a lovely pool, spa and an amazing gym, if you have time to try them. There is a huge selection for breakfast are it was delicious, we didn't eat dinner at the hotel but it looked excellent.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Marylebone Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and really pleased that you found our team to be friendly, welcoming and efficient. We believe great service is totally dependant on a team of people with genuine passion and care for others and our selection, training and development structures revolve around these principles. It is very satisfying to read that you enjoyed our breakfast selection which as you may have read in previous posts, was a key area we looked to enhance with more choice and exciting items for our guests.

Thank you once again for posting such a positive review, we hope to have you return very soon and please do ask for me when you next arrive, I would be delighted to personally welcome you back.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed in this fabulous hotel for 2 nights. My daughters shared a beautiful delux room and myself and my mother were spoilt with a beautiful suite.
The staff were so friendly and nothing was to much trouble. I had booked 2 delux rooms but found I would prefer a suite as it gave us more space. When I went to reception and asked about a bigger room it was all sorted out for me with out an drama.
The resturant in the hotel serves fabulous food and has a very relaxed atmosphere. Again very friendly staff.
The location of this hotel is perfect. It is a 5 minute walk to Oxford street and yet 5 minute walk from Marylebone high street,which is a hidden gem. Lots of beautiful shops,coffee shops and resturants.
The hotel has a lovely comfortable atmosphere. It has lots of lounge areas where you can sit and take a coffee,read the papers or just relax and let the world go by.
We are about to book are next stay for my partners birthday. He has not stayed here before but I know he will enjoy it!
O

Room Tip: The delux room is a comfortable size but if you are staying a couple of nights the comfort and space...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Marylebone Hotel.

I was thrilled to read that you and your daughters had such a positive experience with us and really pleased that you felt our team went out of their way to make your stay more enjoyable. It is incredibly important to us that every one of our guests feel genuinely welcome, cared for and most importantly at home and your comments serve as a brilliant motivator for us all.

Our design team will also be happy to hear you enjoyed the little pockets of lounge space around our public areas which we hope will make all our guests feel as if they can kick of their shoes and simply relax for the day.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and I very much look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have stayed at the Marylebone Hotel 3 times now, and each time I have not been disappointed. The staff are very pleasant and attentive, check in is relatively quick, they offer to take your bags to your room. I can't find fault with the staff whatsoever.
The rooms are very comfortable and nicely decorated. I have seen a standard room, it's a good size but nothing amazing. The suites on the hand, are amazing! They are spotless, spacious and very comfortable. There is a large flat screen TV in the room, a big bed and sofa. If you drink coffee they also have a coffee machine. Water is put beside your bedside table before bedtime, unless you have the 'do not disturb' sign on the door.
The restaurant is great, the food is delicious, I had the lamb. The breakfast is also great, make sure you go hungry as it's a buffet!
Location is very central, there are some fabulous restaurants around the corner - try Levant for a meze or Le Relaise de Venise L'Entrecote.

One more thing... you can also use the Third Space gym - best to go with someone as it lacks any vibe, but the pool and steam room are nice. The changing rooms are 10*

Room Tip: Get a suite!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Firstly please allow me to start by thanking you for your continued support, I am delighted that you continue to choose us and promise we will do our very best to exceed your expectations every time you stay.

It is fantastic to read that you decided to book one of our very unique Suites and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the experience so much, each and every one of our Suites were designed with meticulous emphasis on luxury and comfort and very much personify what the Marylebone is all about. I will pass on your kind comments about your dinner and breakfast experience to our Kitchen brigade who I know will be most appreciate of your wonderful feedback.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your experience and I very much look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 9 September 2012

We booked 8 rooms for my 50th birthday party and all of our guests just loved this hotel. The hotel staff are amazing and made us feel really welcome. Breakfast was excellent. The location is great - just a few steps from Marylebone High Street and its many shops and restaurants plus Oxford Street is a five minute stroll away. Rooms were freshly updated and have been decked out nicely. The hotel had been told by our travel agent that it was my birthday and had upgraded us to a suite and also presented us with a bottle of bubbly in our room. The recently refurbished spa and pool are amazing. We have decided that we will always stay at The Marylebone when we visit London in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I am delighted you chose us to celebrate your 50th birthday and thrilled to read you and your guests (our guests!) had such a brilliant experience. I noticed you mentioned the fantastic Third Space Spa and Leisure Club and couldn’t agree with you more, it is an excellent facility and quite unique to have access to an 18 meter swimming pool in the centre of London!

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and I very much look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 7 September 2012

This is a boutique style hotel. The rooms are spotless and the only slight criticism is that the bathroom was slight small and if there are two people trying to shower and get ready to go out it's bit tight.
Apart from that it's brilliant, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is the best I've seen in any hotel. It was a shame that I had to choose one particular breakfast as there were so many choices that looked mouthwatering.
You are very close to Oxford street at the Hyde Park end but not so close that you get all the noise. This part of London is lovely with some very interesting little streets and quirky shops. The hotel is just a few minutes walk from Bond Street tube station.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your overall experience with us and am particularly pleased that you mentioned the friendliness of our team and the quality of our breakfast. We recently introduced a number of additions to our existing breakfast offering and aim to update, change and simply innovate at every opportunity to keep our food offering exciting and lively for our guests.

I am very appreciative of your kind feedback and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Marylebone very soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Stayed at Marylebone Hotel due to it's great location. Staff was very friendly and the food was great. Unfortunately carpet outside our room was being laid following a night out. Needless to say it was little loud for 0730 on a Saturday morning. Overall great stay, what we endured was something that happens one in a million stays.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay and very much appreciate your gracious understanding and patience! with us changing carpets. We did replace our corridor carpets the previous weekend, it is one of many programs we have in place to ensure our product always reflect the very highest standards in design and guest comfort.

I am genuinely sorry that we disturbed so early and to be honest have already reviewed the start times for future projects, whilst we want to make sure or guests enjoy the highest quality surroundings it certainly is not our intention to ever be intrusive.