“Nice hotel close to Mayfair”
Review of The Marylebone

The Marylebone
Ranked #63 of 1,069 Hotels in London
MA
“Nice hotel close to Mayfair”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is a (by U.S. standards) solid 3 star hotel with clean rooms, good amenities and modern bathrooms. This is London, however, and you should expect rooms to be small, so this hotel doesn't disappoint. If you plan to walk to Mayfair, Soho, etc., this is an excellent location to launch from. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood so no party bars close by - you'll have to walk a short distance if you want that. Very enjoyable stay. Pleasant staff

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for taking the time to write about your Marylebone experience.

We are not star rated as such but I can understand that you felt our rooms were smaller than you would have expected when compared to our US counterparts. Our focus is on delivering great guest experiences that are personal, professional and above all genuine and ultimately we want to be a home away from home for our customers.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and thank you for choosing us for your London stay.

Hotel Manager, The Marylebone Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My friend booked our afternoon tea for 3 a few weeks ago, then amended the booking for 4, and later amended the booking to note that we had a vegetarian in the group. The hotel was very helpful with all these changes!

We arrived right at 3pm and were seated in an alcove section away from the main seating area, which was lovely. Because we had booked through afternoontea.co.uk, we had booked the 2 for £28 deal. When I asked to make sure we were having the 2 for £28, our waiter said yes. We then asked for champagne to be added. After our tea and champagne arrived, one tea stand and two plates of sandwiches (4 per plate) were brought to the table and nothing more. It took a little while for us to figure out that our waiter thought we wanted 2 teas between the 4 of us. A bit of confusion followed, on everyones part, and we were brought the second cake stand and two more plates of sandwiches. The only downside to our tea from this point onward was not being sure what would appear on our bill.

The sandwiches were pretty good. Nothing too special. A little something extra (spice, flavour, etc) would really go a long way. The scones were the perfect size - not too big or small. The cakes were fantastic. The tart, despite looking heavy, was actually quite light and fruity. The two cakes were the perfect size and tasted great. The jelly/pudding/fruit pot was amazing. So much so that when one of our party was too full to finish, another was happy to eat her pot as well! Truly the highlight of the afternoon tea. We even asked our waiter which liqueur the jelly was infused with.

The teas were good, and we appreciated the information given about each tea, but we felt it was a limited selection. Between the four of us we had 3 different teas and all liked our choices. Our bill did show the two for one deal, plus the extra for champagne.

The service was the attentive and responsive to our questions and concerns, yet not at all overbearing. The toilets were clean. The doormen were lovely, one even helping my friends mother out of our taxi.

This was my mother's and my friend's mother's first afternoon tea so we had great hopes that it would be a great experience for them and we're happy that is was!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank wherelolawent
Dear Guest

I am very happy that you chose us for your afternoon tea, thank you for trusting us with your mum’s first afternoon tea experience!

Please accept my apologies for the confusion regarding the number of teas ordered, we obviously got our wires crossed and I hope this did not detract from the overall experience. We want to offer the very best service experience and can only do so if we continue to learn from our mistakes and also take our customers’ suggestion on board, such as your suggestion regarding our sandwich selection. I will most definitely discuss this with our Head Chef, Russell and I think it’s a great idea to make the offering more interesting.

Happy to hear our scones and pastry selections impressed, the jellied fruit pots are a real crowd pleaser and always seem to get our customers talking! The key to great desserts are keeping it fresh and light and this is our Pastry team’s motto at the Marylebone.

I am delighted you all enjoyed the experience and I hope we will be welcoming you back very soon!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here for 7 nights. The hotel is contemporary, clean, and well-finished. Extremely convenient location, close to shops, supermarket & transport, yet still on a quiet street. Staff are extremely polite and helpful. Pricing was also good, relative to the rest of London. Room size was similar to another 5-star London hotel I've stayed at, but small compared to rest of Europe. Will definitely look to stay here on my next trip to London.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Fantastic review! Thank you!

It was a pleasure to have you stay and I am delighted you enjoyed your week with us. The ultimate test of our success will always be whether our staff, service and accommodations have met and exceeded our customers’ expectations to the extent that they would want to return again and your brilliant feedback is therefore incredibly encouraging and motivating. I hope we can be your home in London for many years to come.

Thank you again for telling others about us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I really just could not hold this hotel in more higher regard , I visited for the week as part of a conference. From start to finish I was impressed the meeting room team were organized by Deepak and the room was always clean and fresh ,
We had breakfast which was tasty modestos , Tamara were lovely early in the week and today we had an Irish man Neill who was sublime he made me laugh and really got my day off on a good note and his accent is just a pleasure to listen too .
I applaud you on your team and Can't help but thank you for making the week fly with no issues
Regards a delighted YPO member

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review following your recent event, it was a pleasure to have you with us and I am thrilled you chose the Marylebone.

Your incredible feedback about our service and our people is greatly appreciated, Tamara, Niall and of course Deepak who looked after your event are wonderful ambassadors for our hotel and our team, they love what they do and we believe this makes all the difference. I will be sure to share your very kind words and know they will be as thrilled as I am, thank you!

I hope to welcome you back very soon and if I can ever assist in any way please do not hesitate to contact me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com.

Best wishes

London
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Arrived for a three day stay with my daughter, she was excited by the contemporary design, close to shopping and the lovely welcome we immediately received from the door man and reception. Could not have asked for better quality for value/location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your family break with us, thank you for positing a review of your stay!

It is very important to us that our guests feel welcome from the moment they arrive to the moment we have to say goodbye and it is always incredibly rewarding when this service ethos is so positively echoed in our guests' feedback, thank you.

I hope to welcome you and your daughter back very soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My partner and I recently stayed here for three nights for his 31st birthday. I upgraded to a studio suite with a special that the Doyle collection was offering for the the weekend.

Our entire stay was amazing from the moment the door man opened up the taxi door for me and welcomed me to the Marylebone hotel.

The service was among the best I have received. As it was my partners birthday the hotel had champagne, a card and beautiful cakes on arrival to our room.

The suite was beautifully designed with everything one could need, and anything out of the ordinary available upon request. Cleanliness is always at the top of my list when staying in a hotel, and at the Marylebone it was second to none. Each evening we received water and chocolates by our bed, and each morning our rooms were thoroughly cleaned and refreshed as new. The beds are so comfortable and rooms quiet for such a central location in London. We did have breakfast in bed, and it was the best breakfast I have had in a very long time, but quite pricey I must admit, albeit enjoyable.

We enjoyed the location, many shops and great restaurants in the immediate area, including oxford street. The closest underground is bond or oxford, not Marylebone.

We did have one slight issue, the hotel wrongly charged my credit card a few times in excess of what they were supposed to, which meant I couldn't access quite a lot of funds for a few days until the error was amended. However, they were truly apologetic and offered a few things for us, in order to compensate the inconvenience. Mistakes happen, and this certainly didn't ruin our time here.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to everyone!!! I am very fussy, and this was perfect in every way!

Thank you to the staff at the Marylebone for providing such impeccable and attentive service, I look forward to a future stay!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank ChantelleReid
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing such an eloquent review following your recent stay, I am overwhelmed by your kind words and greatly appreciate the fact that you took the time to tell others about your experience with us.

As a team we hang our hat on delivering exceptionally personalized service experiences that are totally professional, truly welcoming and above all genuine. Your incredible feedback serves as a wonderful reminder that such a service philosophy is indeed important for our customers and can make a real difference in a guests’ stay when we are able to achieve the high standards we set for ourselves. We know we need to continually improve, reassess processes and potential gaps and we can only do so if we truly listen and understand what our customers are saying about their time with us so we will learn from the mistake we made on your credit card and I personally wish to apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. Despite this issue I am thrilled you had such a positive experience and I hope we can be your London home for many years to come.

Thank you for your personal recommendation, word of mouth remains the most powerful form of referral and we are incredibly grateful for your support.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back and hope to meet you in person when you return.

beirut
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel interior is very beautiful. Breakfast was actually the best. Rooms are spacious and comfortable and the hotel is located in the best neighborhood in London. Very central yet in a calm and cozy neighborhood.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us, thank you for writing about your experience and telling others about your stay.

Marylebone Village is such a nice neighborhood, as you mentioned it has all the charm, tranquility and discretion of an up market English Village and yet it remains incredibly central being only 5 minutes walk from Oxford and Bond Street.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Best wishes