“A confusing experience”
Review of The Marylebone

The Marylebone
Ranked #69 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I will start with the bottom line, the The Marylebone Hotel is a very good hotel, well located and comfortable, good breakfast and lovely gym. But, unfortunately we did encounter some foults. It started with the fact that upon arriving at the hotel at midnight we were informed that we will have to be downgraded due to a error, Only after a unpleasant argument we were talled that the day after we will be upgraded and we'll not be charged for breakfast (we were charged but they fixed it..).in both rooms the air condition did not work and was fixed only after many nagging…. Other than that,I must say that the room was comfortable, clean and the service was very good. So, presuming my experience was irregular (as I think it was), and considering the other qualities, I will probably try the hotel again and hope for a better experience

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback; it is incredibly important to me and my team as we strive towards consistent, exceptional service delivery.

Please allow me to apologize unreservedly for the problems you encountered on arrival, it is unacceptable that you were downgraded due to a reservation issue on our side and I am so sorry that your stay got off to a bad start. And, whilst mechanical issues with Air-conditioning can and do occur you should never have had to ask us more than once, and to be honest we should have checked this prior to your arrival, so I can only apologize. Overall I am pleased though that you found you room comfortable and clean and our service to be very good. I would very much like to have you return to us and would want to personally ensure your next stay is simply perfect so please reach out to me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com when you are planning your next trip.

Thank you again for telling us about your experiential and allowing us to learn, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Manager, The Marylebone Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,708)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I chose the Marylebone hotel primarily based on location - not too far from Paddington, very close to shopping and restaurants - but the reviews on TA really tipped it for me. And all of the reviews were right on!

The rooms are pretty small, even for a city hotel. If you're familiar with NYC hotels, then this room won't be much of a surprise - but even for an ex-NYer, these rooms really require some maneuvering around furniture. Fortunately, I was in the hotel for only one night, but if I had been there for longer, then perhaps it would have been less comfortable.

The rooms are comfortable, the bathroom amenities are luxurious, and I had all of the accoutrements that I needed. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, and I found them to be pleasant to talk to. The staff in the restaurant for breakfast was just as great - accommodating, informative, and polite. Overall, I absolutely would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay; your personal recommendation means the world to me and my team, thank you!

We hang our hats on delivering exceptional service experiences through people who genuinely care about our customers so your feedback regarding our staff and the service you received throughout your stay is very motivating and encouraging for us as a team. In terms of bedroom space I would welcome the opportunity to talk through the various room categories we have here at the Marylebone. We have over 7 room categories ranging from 19 to over 80 square meters so I am very confident we will be able to find a room that ticks all the boxes that are important for you, in spades! Please reach out to me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com prior to you next visit, it would be my pleasure to assist.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope to welcome you back to the Marylebone very soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I just completed a stay here. I love this area of London and find this hotel very close to all the important areas either by walking, short tube or short taxi.

This hotel is not a 5 star but a solid 4 star in my opinion. I made sure to read many of the reviews before booking and found a lot of the information helpful. Know what type of room you are getting. It is worth the extra to spend to get a suite. Please re-read the previous line - it's important. Important for us Americans to understand: the king beds are 2 twins pushed together and not at all acceptable. My king had 2 completely different (lumpy) type of mattresses pushed together and it was horrible. The hotel was very accommodating to find me another a suite with a "normal" and much better quality Queen size mattress. The AC is wonderful and no American will be disappointed. The Health club is first rate as well, but has later hours on the weekends which was not super. Everything is very clean. Nice free coffee bar in the lobby. Very quiet, no issues with noise at all.

It is not a 5 star hotel for these reasons: I did not have turn down service 2 nights of the 6, I have no idea why. I tend to count on it if I know I have it for new towels, water, min bar resupply etc. I had room service one night ant 9pm and was asleep in bed and got a call at 11pm from room service wanting to know if they could have my tray? That was so odd and disturbing, I did not understand that at all. If they want or need a tray back - they should be the standard note board on the delivered tray explaining what the expectations are after the meal is finished - no such information was provided. The meal was great btw. I think there could be better satellite TV service and/or at least a better listing of channels available. The list I had in my room was about 12 channels but there were more then that available but I had no idea what they were or where to find what. My coffee station in my room (which is wonderful and free) was restocked sporadically - again, if I depend on it, then it is not to have things there that should be. I had to call for a few things a couple of times. Towels vary a lot, some thin and tread bare, others fluffily. My robe had a belt that was in sheds. These are things you do not find at a 5 star, but things you tolerate at a 4 star.

I would stay here again. The things I value are all there, but know what you are getting when booking.

1  Thank sdm2663

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay, your feedback is crucial to our learning and ultimately our continued improvement.

Whilst I am happy that you enjoyed your overall stay and would return to us I am obviously disappointed that we let us ourselves down in terms of the consistency of the housekeeping of your room. We have processes in place to ensure turndown, replenishment of in-room amenities and also linen quality are checked and inspected but we clearly failed to achieve the high standards we set for ourselves with your stay. Please accept my unreserved apology, we will learn from this and ensure we close these gaps in our service as a priority.

I fully take your feedback on board regarding the number of Satellite TV channels on offer; we are currently looking at expanding our listings even further so watch this space! The Room Service Tray Service Call was incredibly untimely and I can only apologize, we do have a little card on the trays itself but also do a follow up courtesy call an hour later but 11pm is simply too late and I am very sorry for the disturbance.

I am very grateful for your feedback, it helps me and my team to focus on the areas we need to improve and I hope that when you return you will have noticed that the service gaps you mentioned have been addressed.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just back from weekend stay here. The main feeling I have is I paid a large amount of money for an average hotel.
Pros: Just off Oxford street & near Bond Street & Oxford Circus tube stations so convenient for this part of London & shopping areas nearby. Staff are courteous. Hotel is clean.

Cons: Tiny room. I booked a deluxe double but the bathroom is the smallest I have seen & that includes Paris & New York hotels. The bathroom door will hit the shower door if you open it fully & vice versa. 2 people cannot fit in the bathroom at the same time. Shower only, no bath( That doesn't bother me, may be an issue for others). I paid over 200 euro a night to stay in an upholstered box really. If it was an amazingly luxurious or opulent hotel, I might have felt less aggrieved at the price but it is a small hotel with a few small darkened areas to sit near reception so I didn't feel I could even relax in the lobby to read a paper as I was asked to move at 11:30am so they could set the area for afternoon tea.

Breakfast for 2 was a whopping 50 euro& not included in the price. This is CRAZY. This is not a 5 star hotel, we had cereal, a small amount of fruit & a substandard cooked breakfast on a tiny table. I was really taken aback when the bill arrived. Did not eat there the 2nd morning.

To put this hotel in context. I stayed in London 2 months ago in the Park Plaza Westminster bridge in a deluxe double. The room was literally twice the size of the one I had here for significantly less money. It was a bigger, sleeker hotel that was central to tube links & tourist attractions.

I feel like I got a very poor deal here, I wont stay again, there is better value elsewhere.

3  Thank Irishbrightsmile
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Guest

We are always learning from our customers and believe it is the only way to deliver exceptional guest experiences, so I am very thankful for your feedback.

Please allow me to start by saying how sorry I am that you felt we were only average, we want to offer the very best for our customers from an accommodations, value and service perspective and I am incredibly disappointed that this was not the case for you. Marylebone is one of the most exclusive locations in Central London, partly due to the fact that the Village is a hub of great restaurants, bars, café’s, independent boutiques and partly because it is so close to Oxford Street, Bond Street and Mayfair. Due to these factors hotels in the area can be slightly pricier at times pending demand but we always do our best to ensure we remain very much in line with the local market. I am sorry if you felt that your room was not spacious enough, we have a number of room categories ranging from 19 to over 80 square meters in floor space, and everything in between so perhaps we can discuss your requirements in person if you do consider us again, I am very confident we can find a room that will tick both the value and space box for you.

The majority of our rates do not include breakfast I’m afraid and whilst I understand your view on the pricing I can assure you that our breakfast is priced not only in line with other hotels in the area but also in line with local restaurants of a similar stand. Again, I am sorry if this did not represent value for you, we receive many positive comments about the variety, quality and quantity of our breakfast offering but as I’ve mentioned before we always need to listen to what you, our customer are saying and we will take your feedback on board.

If you were to consider us again I would welcome the opportunity to talk to you prior to your next visit so I can personally discuss the various options and rates available and ultimately ensure you do enjoy your time with us, so please reach out to me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is a (by U.S. standards) solid 3 star hotel with clean rooms, good amenities and modern bathrooms. This is London, however, and you should expect rooms to be small, so this hotel doesn't disappoint. If you plan to walk to Mayfair, Soho, etc., this is an excellent location to launch from. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood so no party bars close by - you'll have to walk a short distance if you want that. Very enjoyable stay. Pleasant staff

Dear Guest

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for taking the time to write about your Marylebone experience.

We are not star rated as such but I can understand that you felt our rooms were smaller than you would have expected when compared to our US counterparts. Our focus is on delivering great guest experiences that are personal, professional and above all genuine and ultimately we want to be a home away from home for our customers.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and thank you for choosing us for your London stay.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My friend booked our afternoon tea for 3 a few weeks ago, then amended the booking for 4, and later amended the booking to note that we had a vegetarian in the group. The hotel was very helpful with all these changes!

We arrived right at 3pm and were seated in an alcove section away from the main seating area, which was lovely. Because we had booked through afternoontea.co.uk, we had booked the 2 for £28 deal. When I asked to make sure we were having the 2 for £28, our waiter said yes. We then asked for champagne to be added. After our tea and champagne arrived, one tea stand and two plates of sandwiches (4 per plate) were brought to the table and nothing more. It took a little while for us to figure out that our waiter thought we wanted 2 teas between the 4 of us. A bit of confusion followed, on everyones part, and we were brought the second cake stand and two more plates of sandwiches. The only downside to our tea from this point onward was not being sure what would appear on our bill.

The sandwiches were pretty good. Nothing too special. A little something extra (spice, flavour, etc) would really go a long way. The scones were the perfect size - not too big or small. The cakes were fantastic. The tart, despite looking heavy, was actually quite light and fruity. The two cakes were the perfect size and tasted great. The jelly/pudding/fruit pot was amazing. So much so that when one of our party was too full to finish, another was happy to eat her pot as well! Truly the highlight of the afternoon tea. We even asked our waiter which liqueur the jelly was infused with.

The teas were good, and we appreciated the information given about each tea, but we felt it was a limited selection. Between the four of us we had 3 different teas and all liked our choices. Our bill did show the two for one deal, plus the extra for champagne.

The service was the attentive and responsive to our questions and concerns, yet not at all overbearing. The toilets were clean. The doormen were lovely, one even helping my friends mother out of our taxi.

This was my mother's and my friend's mother's first afternoon tea so we had great hopes that it would be a great experience for them and we're happy that is was!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank wherelolawent

Dear Guest

I am very happy that you chose us for your afternoon tea, thank you for trusting us with your mum’s first afternoon tea experience!

Please accept my apologies for the confusion regarding the number of teas ordered, we obviously got our wires crossed and I hope this did not detract from the overall experience. We want to offer the very best service experience and can only do so if we continue to learn from our mistakes and also take our customers’ suggestion on board, such as your suggestion regarding our sandwich selection. I will most definitely discuss this with our Head Chef, Russell and I think it’s a great idea to make the offering more interesting.

Happy to hear our scones and pastry selections impressed, the jellied fruit pots are a real crowd pleaser and always seem to get our customers talking! The key to great desserts are keeping it fresh and light and this is our Pastry team’s motto at the Marylebone.

I am delighted you all enjoyed the experience and I hope we will be welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here for 7 nights. The hotel is contemporary, clean, and well-finished. Extremely convenient location, close to shops, supermarket & transport, yet still on a quiet street. Staff are extremely polite and helpful. Pricing was also good, relative to the rest of London. Room size was similar to another 5-star London hotel I've stayed at, but small compared to rest of Europe. Will definitely look to stay here on my next trip to London.

Dear Guest

Fantastic review! Thank you!

It was a pleasure to have you stay and I am delighted you enjoyed your week with us. The ultimate test of our success will always be whether our staff, service and accommodations have met and exceeded our customers’ expectations to the extent that they would want to return again and your brilliant feedback is therefore incredibly encouraging and motivating. I hope we can be your home in London for many years to come.

Thank you again for telling others about us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.