“Not worth the money”
Review of Durrants Hotel

Durrants Hotel
Ranked #546 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 May 2011

My first stay at Durrants in London and my last.

The good:
Location - beautiful area and close to everything,
Staff at times helpful.

The bad:
Bellman insisted on taking my luggage and then did not deliver it to my room for 30 minutes - I had to call to have it delivered.
Minutes later I got to a call to ask when I was checking out - I informed them I had checked in 30 minutes ago - they just put the phone down - no apology.
Very little smiling from the Head Concierge - his staff were much more attentive
Front desk always in the back office - never on the desk
Room was so HOT - no air conditioning - a poorly functioning fan and window opened a centimeter. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE
TV was an apple powered system - did not work well at all - kept sticking.

Save your money and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with AC
Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank DBinNY

Reviewed 9 April 2011

I always stay here when I am in London and have done for the last 12 years, and it has just occurred to me that this is the first review I have written!
Durrants has the feel of a country hotel, packed with antiques, plush rugs and brass. The bedrooms are roomy for London and always spotlessly clean. There is a restaurant and oak lined bar available for residents. The staff are attentive but never intrusive.
The location is very convenient for Marylebone High Street, Harley Street, Oxford Street and Madame Tussauds. I would have no hesitation in strongly recommending this hotel.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I am sittying in the room now and felt compelled to vent (after paying £10 to log onto the wi-fi network!).

I like independent hotels and had read a couple of contradictory reviews about this place, thought I would give it a go. First thing that gets you is the size of the room, I booked a twin room and its pokey and quite dated. After walking from the tube I was quite warm and wanted to put on air conditioning as the room was also quite stuffy - oh no! they don't trust their guests to use it I suppose because after calling down and reporting it broken, the porter came to my room only to tell me that they switch it off for the winter!
Next I asked for an iron and ironing board, at first the receptionist said she would send one up but I later received a call to say that they don't have any and I have to go to an ironing room on the 2nd floor! On top of this there are no tea and coffee making facilities; good job I brought a bottle of wine with me, I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

Was going to have dinner here but I really don't want to give them any more money.

David

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Robbothered
Reviewed 13 March 2011

The hotel is located very nice in a silent corner near Oxfordstreet. Really british taste in service in the house: a wonderful restaurant (the breakfast is fantastic), a supportiv team with brilliant service, old fashioned and sympathetic.
The rooms are quit small, typical for London and the atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable.
Enjoy your stay at the Durrants!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mauritius_musica
Reviewed 12 March 2011

On the face of it, Durrants is a delightful, old-style hotel right in the middle of London. Relatively close to Paddington and the Heathrow Express, yet within walking distance of Marble Arch, Oxford Street and Bond Street Underground station. In London for a quick one-night visit from Asia, I was at first charmed by its interior. The medium-sized bedroom with comfortable large bed and well-stocked bathroom seemed ideal. It is rather sparse looking, with no prints on the walls – only one large TV screen. And it was on switching on that TV that the problems started. The simple-looking controls were more complicated than any other hotel I have ever stayed in! It eventually became infuriating trying to get any television programmes at all. Then I noticed that it began playing havoc with my laptop, whose screen would automatically switch to iTunes! Waking very early and wanting to watch the news, the equipment completely froze! Not a very good advertisement for a hotel of this quality. The simple instructions clearly were insufficient for guests who are technologically challenged.

The spacious bathrooms have been modernised, but once again the lack of proper instructions made drawing a bath quite complicated. Once full, I could not find out how to turn off the water! Simple instructions on the side would have solved that problem.

After an excellent breakfast, I retired for a quick nap before leaving for meetings, only to be wakened by loud banging, drilling and other construction noise right next to my room. Granted it was 09:00 when most guests are up, but the lack of any note in guest rooms about noise was a bad mistake.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2011

I had a perfect weekend in suite 405 on the third floor. Fascinating bookself, loads of antiques, very clean, nice lighting, warm, cosy, fireplace, bed big enough to sleep six. Downstairs there are little drinking rooms, private diningrooms and a very good restaurant. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, except for putting a kettle, some teabags or coffee in my suite, which as a British Woman, is my constitutional right to have supplied. That was very very very annoying, espcially first thing in the morning. I don't open my eyes until I've been injected with coffee. But apart from that, excellent.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Pros: great location. Classy, if rather faded establishment.
Cons: no hospitality tray in the rooms, so you have to pay extra to have tea delivered. Up to £5,00
Horrible tube type hairdryer in the bathroom. Burns your hands. Electricity cuts out sometimes half way through drying your hair.
Very noisy in the corridors at night as other, inconsiderate guests, laugh and stomp along creaking corridors.
Shame. I've had to change to another hotel as I need my sleep before working the next day, and simply don't want to have to pay extra everytime I want a cup of tea in my bedroom.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business