“Beautiful Hotel with (some) disappointing rooms”
Review of Durrants Hotel

Durrants Hotel
Ranked #550 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The hotel is a charming attractive building in an excellent location immediately behind The Wallace Collection and only a short brisk walk to St. Christopher's Place and Oxford Street, with many restaurants and all necessary amenities within a few paces from the door.

My first impression of the hotel was very favourable. On the ground floor there is a cosy little bar, shame that on the two occasions I went in it was staffed by someone so unfriendly and aloof. The lounge is pretty and bright as are all the other public areas and the restaurant looked lovely though I didn't dine there.
When I booked on the hotel website breakfast was not offered, and it transpires it is only available a la carte, but on looking at the menu I decided not to eat there because the prices were so ludicrous: £4.50 for a pot of tea. £3.95 for a croissant, about £4 for a portion of toast etc.

My heart sank on being shown to my room however. Dark and dismal with dreadful dated decor, it is in need of refurbishment, though I was told at one point that it had been refurbished, surely not!
The windows were so badly insulated that I slept badly due to the cold wind blowing through directly onto my bed. There was no curtain to keep out the draughts, only a fiddly blind and the heating was not switched on despite it being particularly chilly weather. After the second night of discomfort I asked the kindly concierge, Clive, if it was possible to have a heater in my room, whereupon he immediately enquired at reception if there was an alternative room available. I was duly moved upstairs and honestly felt as if I had been moved to another hotel! The bright, attractive room with marble bathroom was so superior to my previous one, though the furniture still looked as if it had seen better days. I felt quite annoyed about it, my stay could have been so much more enjoyable had I been in this room all along and why put a guest in such a poor room when you have better available? Best not to use such rooms as they deter repeat visits.

There are, unusually for Britain, no tea making facilities in the rooms, thankfully thanks to you dear people on Trip Advisor I was aware of this before my visit so took a travel kettle and tea bags with me! Seems a tad ridiculous to need to do that though when paying the best part of £200 per night!

As a guest at Durrants one only deals with the concierge and bell boys once checked in, the reception staff remain firmly behind a glass partition and only re-appear to take your money at the end of your stay.

Overall I would say I enjoyed returning to the hotel each day, the public areas are very lovely but I would feel hesitant about booking again incase I was unlucky with the room allocated. Maybe I'll wait 'til the refurbishment programme is complete.
The hotel may wish to note that the online booking form is poor, there is no facility to make requests (or even to be titled anything other than a Mr or Mrs!) and no information on restaurant pricing, also when I rang up to make my booking I was quoted a price of £30 more than on the website.
My rating would have been higher if I'd had the better room all along.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank champagnesliv

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed at Durrants hotel to go to Chelsea Flower Show. We had a very good welcome on arrival, as the Concierge recognised my parents who have not stayed there for over two years. The rooms we stayed in have been refurbished to a high standard and are very comfortable. I had a single room, which unusally was very spacious with a good sized bathroom and deep bath. Nice luxury soaps and shampoos with a bottle of water on display.

We had lunch in the hotel bar, which was very old English with leather seats and created a lovely atmosphere. The tapas sounded good on the menu and was very tasty but very small! 3 dishes for £12 but was really only enough for one person. We had 6 dishes between 4 of us and I was still hungry after! Wine started at £25 a bottle so a bit pricey.

Great breakfast the following morning, but it is not included in the room rate and was fairly pricey. Nearly £4 for a fruit juice and similar for a pot of tea, but cooked breakfast itself was good value. I had poached eggs. It is the extras that add on the price, such as toast, jam, juice and a hot drink!

I was shocked to see however that internet was chargeable. I think it was about £10 for an hour from memory which I thought very poor. You do expect to get free internet nowadays, unless I'm very out of touch with London hotels! That would be my only real complaint about the hotel, as everything else was good, including the service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel which is much quieter. I had a room off the main road and wa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Vicky B
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed at Durrants Hotel May 23rd to 26th 2013 with my wife after I had stayed there in 1984 and remember it as a good experience.
We stayed in very small room 215, with a Savoir bed, then it was downhill.. it looked as though the last time it was upgraded was pre 1982, the furniture was in a terrible state. The furniture looked as if they had come straight from the Portobelo Rd, the drawers were not functional without a real battle to either force them closed or to open them. Carpets needed a good clean.
The bathroom was past its sell by date, and the area around the shower area was extremely grubby.
This said, we had a meal in the restaurant which was excellent, the staff were always polite and efficient.
When we raised our concerns it seems that there is no formal process to go through.. but it was pointed out that we had booked a "standard room" as if to justify things. We got the impression that they were not interested.
I do realise they are on a major refurb program and that 215 has not been done yet, but that does account for the way the room is cleaned or maintained, or the way the front of house value feed back. At £230 per night plus a la carte breakfast & and an excellent dinner it is not a place I want to return to.

Room Tip: On booking request a room that has been upgraded.
3  Thank Charles S
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Lovely hotel in the heart of London. Lots of old world charm and a friendly helpful atmosphere. Bit miffed at having to pay extra for WiFi though as most hotels include thus at no cost nowadays. That said I felt thoroughly elegant and well looked after.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank MattC-Cheshire
Reviewed 13 May 2013

When my wife and I arrived at this hotel we were welcomed by an "old style" doorman - uniform and all. The foyer of the hotel (not large) resembles something as described in one of Agatha Christie's books. This hotel seems to have been made up by combining a number of old houses together. There is a lot of "old style" furniture throughout the hotel. The concierge was very helpful with any questions we asked and the reception staff were friendly.

The rooms are fairly small but kept well cleaned. Every evening the bed covers are turned in preparation for the guests returning and going to bed. This adds a pleasant touch.

The hotel has one good asset in that it is quite close to Oxford street, one of the main shopping areas in London.

The room was booked without breakfast (this was not offered during booking) but was available at an extra cost. For the room and services provided the hotel was quite expensive so I would not classify this as good value for money.

The hotel was quite and no noises disturbed our sleep. The room was warm and the bed comfortable. During our last night we had to leave the hotel very early (3am) and on trying to take our cases down to reception we discovered the lift was out of order. The night assistant was a great help in that he single handed carried down both our cases at once (total 35 kilos).

2  Thank Francis D
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed for one night in April and was glad it was for only one night. This was my second time staying here for business. The first time wasn't very good, and I thought I'd give it another try based on the reviews. The rooms are very small and old. Everytime I needed a concierge, only the bellhop was available. Internet is extra. The walk to the tube stop is 5 minutes if you walk very very briskly. I don't think it's worth the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Berti535
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had been to the bar here many times in the past, stopping off for a glass/bottle of champagne on our walk back from Oxford Street... so what a better place to book our wedding night?!! We didn't get to check in till gone 11pm, but we were given a warm welcome at reception and showed to an amazing suite - separate sitting room, small-but-perfect bedroom, and an amazing modern bathroom. Being our wedding night, and after a long, amazing, but tiring day, we went straight to bed... but what an amazing surprise in the morning, as we opened all the curtains to look out on the most beautiful mews and streets of London. Breakfast was a joy to behold, with waitress service of an amazing full English with toast, juice etc. My only beef was that each item was individually priced, so we had to pay extra for toast, juice, coffee, and then a service charge on top - why not charge more, and include it all, as most hotels do? That aside, it was a fab stay - not cheap by any means, but real quality for a special occasion...

2  Thank Simon C