“Lovely public rooms, poky little room with no facilities”
Review of Durrants Hotel

Durrants Hotel
Ranked #550 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham
“Lovely public rooms, poky little room with no facilities”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I was in London for one night with my wife for an event at the Waldorf at the Aldwych, I thought that, rather than booking her into a budget hotel, we would stay somewhere comfortable. First impressions were good, having arrived from King's Cross by taxi since there was no tube station nearby. The public areas were pleasant, with many nooks and crannies to enjoy a coffee or read the papers. Just as well there were, as the room was tiny, with only a little space around the double bed. I have no idea whether our room was typical, but seeing how the room doors were arranged I suspect we were in a normal sized room at Durrants. When we returned from our function, again by taxi, there was no coffee or tea making facilities in the room, and we had to order room service at 2300 to provide us with a cuppa. This, in the cold light of the morning, cost us an extra £6, £60 in taxis and tips and £173 (via Hotwire) for the room. Give me the Premier Inn any day, which I used in the current week: no taxis necessary, free tea and coffee (and extra supplies on request), free loan of iron and ironing board. At Durrants, I have no idea where the ironing board may have fit! Boutique hotels are clearly not for me.

Room Tip: Book the Premier Inn
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anylex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

My first stay at Durrants and hopefully not the last. Traditional yet chic, spotless, comfortable, aesthetically pleasing, fabulous thread count sheets, soft towels and staff very helpful. A delightful retreat from the busy-ness of nearby Oxford Street.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SomaticCoach
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was put into a tiny room at the back of the hotel after paying for a larger sized room at the front with a view. The room was so small I could not find enough room on the floor to open my case. It was a huge hassle to try to be moved and couldn't help but think the hotel didn't care as they had already charged my credit card. The experience was awful. I would not recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Anastasia D
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I've been staying at Durrants for thirty years and it only gets better. The rooms are small but comfortable and the location is perfect. You can get anything you need on the Marylebone High Street. The staff are friendly and service is reliable. Breakfasts are great and the restaurant serves good English food.

Room Tip: If you've booked a single room, see if they can upgrade you to a double. You will appreciate the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kjcolvard
Switzerland
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We have stayed here twice in the last month and will return. However, some people may find the quirks irritating. The good bits: nice staff, very friendly and attentive. Location is excellent for the West End. The restaurant is good too. Last time we had an excellent carvery service. As ever with hotels, breakfast is very expensive compared to local cafés - many and good. We eat out.

The quirks: rooms can be very cramped. We up-graded the first time. The room was then bigger, but noisy from the road. Our second room had a view to a wall, but was quiet. Our second shower was laughable. No pressure. A dribble. Safes are hard to get at and swing open unless locked. Irritating every time the wardrobe door is opened.

One big service let- down: we ordered tea and coffee one morning (07.15). I called reception and was put through to the dining room. No answer. I called back to reception and was asked to try again later! I suggested that our order could written down and taken to the dining room. That was too hard so I was put through to the concierge. He managed to complete the task. No biscuits!

Room Tip: Internal rooms are quieter. Upgrade for space. Room 107 shower should be avoided.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ammanford, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Perfect check in, bed turn down offered by the maids at around 8pm.
Room was sparkling clean, decor lovely, everything functional
At £190 for a nights stay it was expensive, but not for the area, and I chose the area due to a Breakfast meeting at 8am the following day.
The single room was however very small,...........but functional, and fine for one nights stay. If you were staying more than one night I am not sure what you would do with your luggage in room 224!
I had intended to have room service, but when I discovered that you had to ring down to even get the menu I decided I couldnt be bothered. I could have a coffee instead right? No, no kettle, but there was a tiny token bottle of mineral water in the bathroom. So I had an early night
The room was quiet, the bedside clock annoying with its 'ticking' (yes I know that this is what clocks do!!) particularly as the room was so small you couldnt move it to somewhere you couldnt hear it
Nice range of channels on the TV - and free and easy Wifi (yeah!!)
Nice range of toiletries - toilet paper cheap, towels okay,
The single bed was the size of a childs bed, in fact the whole experience was akin to staying in achilds room - but it was lovely.
I can comment on the Breakfast which came with the room, I never found the 'breakfast room' but its not a problem - but be warned the whole place is a bit of a rabbit warren, by the time I was delivered to my room I did wonder if I would ever find my way out again
I wouldn't hesitate to stay again should the circumstances present themselves, and I can get it for a decent price...........might pack a kettle though.

1 Thank Melanie C
Cotswolds,
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is not the first time I have stayed here, sometimes for business sometimes for pleasure. It is probably my favourite London hotel. The position - just off the small shops and cafes of stylish Marylebone High Street - is ideal, whether for access to most central London venues or wandering locally to sit in Marylebone Church (where Byron was christened) or in its gardens, having stocked up with books in Daunts bookshop, or to eat many excellent small restaurants - or to visit the fine Wallace Collection, Wigmore Hall, or, simply, and infinitely, to shop.
The hotel is a very attractive building; traditional, with character, immaculate and peaceful with various rooms and corners for reading, meeting, or having coffee. This was my first time in a newly restored 3rd floor room. I booked late and had to have a pricier room (there are singles; good for business travellers) but it was a wonderfully silent, wonderfully comfortable, spacious room, if with a slight lingering aroma of paint. Travelling alone I do sometimes wish they had biscuits and tea in the room - rather than having the palaver of room service and, at that price, bath products a bit basic!