“Dated”
Review of Durrants Hotel

Durrants Hotel
Ranked #563 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Ok we know that paying 172 Euro a night in London is expected, BUT to pay that for a dated room with peeling wallpaper is a bit much.

I stayed in their double room, which definitely needs a bit of a makeover. Their more expensive rooms, appear (in pictures) to be lighter and nicer. The room was quite dark with a tiny window.

The staff were really lovely though and the location is fantastic, 7 min walk to either Bond or Baker street stations.

Overall, as nice and polite as the staff were, unless I could get into one of their nicer rooms for the same price, I will pass on this charming hotel.

Room Tip: Go for their higher floors and more expensive rooms, otherwise you are stuck in a broom closet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had a great experience at the Durrants Hotel - it was such a cute little boutique hotel with such a Victorian charm to it! We visited London for 3 days (stayed at the hotel for nights). I had called in advance to request for an early check-in and for one of the upgraded rooms but like any other hotel, they told me they cannot guarantee this and to request it when I check-in.
We arrived on a Monday morning around 10 a.m. and were able to check in right into our room! I was thrilled because we had a whole day of sightseeing planned and we had taken a train in from Liverpool at 6 am in the morning! AND we got one of the upgraded rooms which was fabulous!

We checked into our room; everything was as expected but I do have to say, the rooms are tiny as tiny can be. It didn't matter much to us because we only really needed a bed to crash on at night but if anyone's looking for comfort and room to breath, this might not be the best option for you. It was cute how the keys were like actual keys - we had to drop them off with the concierge when we were leaving the hotel. The room and bathroom had all the standard features any hotel does - one thing though, the walls were thin so you could hear what was happening outside in the hallway. We had the AC turned up quite high so that resolved that issue. The bathroom was very modern - loved the shower heads! We requested for an ironing table and kept it throughout our stay. They were very prompt when asked for something - there seemed to be a bit of a language barrier when speaking to the housekeeping staff (for example, I asked for an ironing table and an iron and the next minute there were two housekeeping women outside my door wondering what they were called for) - so just be sure to clearly state what you want or call the front desk when in doubt :)

We left the Do Not Disturb sign on our door so our room wasn't service the second day of our stay and we had returned to the hotel so late at night we didn't have the energy to wait. We just called for extra towels and this time, they got it right :)

The staff was very friendly and helpful. From the check-in to the concierge and the housekeeping staff, everyone was lovely and pleasant to deal with. Overall, we had a great stay and thought the location of this hotel was ideal. Within a few minutes walk is Bond Street station which has easy access to almost all of the tube lines you need. Another few minutes walk brings you to Edgware Road where all the Arab shops are and right around the corner from there was Oxford Street. We couldn't have been happier with the location we picked. Not only that, the walk to Bond Street station from the hotel was lovely in the morning - there was SO many cafes along the way that it was super convenient to just grab a coffee and croissant and make our way to the tube station. We were very pressed on time as we only had 3 days a lot of sightseeing to do so all in all, this hotel was absolutely everything we were looking for. Highly recommend it!

One last thing before I forget, even though the hotel had "free wifi" our wifi in the room did not work at all. The connection was terrible. When we asked if something could be done they politely said no. My husband had to go search for an Internet Cafe to get work done so in case you are planning on staying here and plan to use the wifi, well it's close to not having wifi. The connection was somewhat OK in the lobby but room 111 had barely any connection. I had to sit in the bathroom to make a call on Viber because that's the only place I had somewhat of a signal!

Room Tip: Walls were a bit thin and you can hear everything going on in the hallways so I would suggest to try...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nida H
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The bedrooms in this hotel are not good value for money, we have stayed at this hotel before , and only returned because of the location we needed medical treatment in nearby Harley street , the reception staff are rude and very unhelpful

Room Tip: The lower the floor the bigger the rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I was in London for one night with my wife for an event at the Waldorf at the Aldwych, I thought that, rather than booking her into a budget hotel, we would stay somewhere comfortable. First impressions were good, having arrived from King's Cross by taxi since there was no tube station nearby. The public areas were pleasant, with many nooks and crannies to enjoy a coffee or read the papers. Just as well there were, as the room was tiny, with only a little space around the double bed. I have no idea whether our room was typical, but seeing how the room doors were arranged I suspect we were in a normal sized room at Durrants. When we returned from our function, again by taxi, there was no coffee or tea making facilities in the room, and we had to order room service at 2300 to provide us with a cuppa. This, in the cold light of the morning, cost us an extra £6, £60 in taxis and tips and £173 (via Hotwire) for the room. Give me the Premier Inn any day, which I used in the current week: no taxis necessary, free tea and coffee (and extra supplies on request), free loan of iron and ironing board. At Durrants, I have no idea where the ironing board may have fit! Boutique hotels are clearly not for me.

Room Tip: Book the Premier Inn
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anylex
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My first stay at Durrants and hopefully not the last. Traditional yet chic, spotless, comfortable, aesthetically pleasing, fabulous thread count sheets, soft towels and staff very helpful. A delightful retreat from the busy-ness of nearby Oxford Street.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SomaticCoach
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was put into a tiny room at the back of the hotel after paying for a larger sized room at the front with a view. The room was so small I could not find enough room on the floor to open my case. It was a huge hassle to try to be moved and couldn't help but think the hotel didn't care as they had already charged my credit card. The experience was awful. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Anastasia D
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I've been staying at Durrants for thirty years and it only gets better. The rooms are small but comfortable and the location is perfect. You can get anything you need on the Marylebone High Street. The staff are friendly and service is reliable. Breakfasts are great and the restaurant serves good English food.

Room Tip: If you've booked a single room, see if they can upgrade you to a double. You will appreciate the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business