“lovely stay”
Review of Durrants Hotel

Durrants Hotel
Ranked #562 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Stayed here for two nights in October with my mum. The hotel was lovely and the staff were so friendly and helpful. Could not fault this hotel at all was a very enjoyable stay and great location close to all the shops and near to the west end

• Stayed: October 2010

Reviewed 20 November 2010

Typical English hotel. Small, but clean room. Shower was pretty average.

Service was let down but no-show on the taxi we booked and inability to know how to get a cab in London........

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We have stayed here several times and enjoyed our stay, however the manager now has to have the worst people skills of any I have experienced. When booking a room I tried several times to get a price including English breakfast, which was like trying to decipher the da Vinci code! We don't know this, depends what you have, etc etc, we only include a continental breakfast. I therefore decided just to book the lastminute rate which had no breakfast, rather than pay for something I would not eat. On arrival, I finally found that the English breakfast is actually cheaper! I asked the manager to change this as an act of goodwill as it only incurred a cost of £10 for 2 nights, to be flatly refused. The staff here are severely undertrained and I will not be staying again.

• Stayed: November 2010
3  Thank DarrellLincoln
Reviewed 10 November 2010

We just spent one night here on a very good deal from lastminute.com as a 'secret hotel'. I don't think you ever get the best rooms on a deal like that but the room was fine, reasonably large for London with twin beds together to make a twin, the ceiling had lots of patches from previous leaks so was a bit tatty to look at and we couldn't make the TV work but this could be us. Other than that it was well appointed and the bathroom seemed newly tiled and had a nice cast iron bath. It was reasonably quiet considering it is two roads up and parallel with Oxford St and we were at the front, I imagine the back would be very quiet. Great location for shopping in the west end and lovely Marylebone High St seconds away. Downstairs we loved, really cosy with roaring fires and a clubby feel, food was good too and the service old fashioned and charming. Would definitely be happy to stay again,

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Durrants is superbly situated - very convenient for both Oxford Street and Marylebone, yet in a relatively quiet location.
The staff seem polite and hospitable.
Our bedroom was pleasant, with comfortable beds and a good bathroom - yet it just seemed a bit tired and tatty. The wallpaper was peeling at the edges in places. I had to pull out a heavy wardrobe to get access to the only socket in the room which appeared to work.
The room was strangely hot for October - there was no room thermostat or air-con - so we had to try to sleep in central London with windows open!
There are no tea-making facilites in the bedrooms. No biscuits either. I think that is particularly mean when you are paying the price of a 4-star hotel. Indeed even in reasonably priced B & B's I would expect tea-making facilities.
Durrants isn't a bad hotel - but I think that the faults are sufficient that I'll look elsewhere in future for accommodation in the Marylebone area.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank OrkneyJane
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Good: The atmosphere of a gentlemen British club. Very charming, cozy. I had the feeling to be at home. Perfectly located, though in a nice quite street. Personell very kind and available. Seen many young people of the art contemporary world during the Art Fair. Monocle ads in rooms, Monocle shop near the hotel. I have had a dinner there, the sole was perfect as well as the rest.

Bed: Rooms are too small. No space in the cupboard for long dress, nor for coats. No bathrobe, strange for this hotel. One lady at the reception was pretty unavailable and not as kind as you would expect.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Durrants is an elegant older hotel in a converted Regency row just along from Marylebone High Street and opposite the back of the Wallace Collection. I think I am correct in saying that it is still not part of any chain, so has a kind of relaxed intimacy not found in larger hotels: wood panelling, antique ambiance etc. It is in an ideal location with convenient access to countless places one is likely to want to visit in central London. The staff are efficient and amiable, and the breakfast/dining room handsome (I haven't eaten dinner there but the breakfasts are excellent). Some of the rooms are a little small and give a cramped impression, and in the last room I had there the wardrobe was not deep enough for the doors to close properly when clothes were hung up there. Given the price range, which is far from cheap, it seems a little excessive for wi-fi access to be billed at 10 pounds a day (why do upmarket hotels do this, when at many less expensive hotels wi-fi access is free? -- it is an opportunistic cheeseparing tactic that unnecessarily alienates visitors). But overall, it's one of my favourite London hotels. I have stayed there a number of times, and am about to do so again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple