“Charming hotel”
Review of Hazlitt's

Hazlitt's
Ranked #240 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed for one night just prior to Christmas 2013 and arrived at about 7.30am straight off a 23 hour flight from Australia. Although we knew our room wouldn't be available until mid afternoon the hotel staff invited us to relax in one of their sitting rooms for as long as we needed. It felt very peaceful and civilised to quietly sit in front of the little fire and drink coffee in the centre of Soho London. All the history and literary references of this hotel make it feel very different to other boutique hotels, with a genuine sense of character and identity. Almost like staying in a quirky stately home with lots of stories. The room service breakfast was a nice touch and we would definitely stay there again (hopefully for a bit longer next time!).

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fiona3160

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Centrally located in Soho - good service and nice clean rooms full of charm and character. We were on the fourth floor - so four sets of stairs - luckily we left our large suitcases in left baggage at Heathrow. Would definitely stay again for an overnighter, or weekend - but anything longer or for business would not be an option. No tea or coffee facilities in the room - but there is a mini bar. Also a lovely library room with an open fire an honour bar.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cpmt1977
Reviewed 11 January 2014

A beautiful, atmospheric hotel. Perfectly located, I dream of staying here again.

Speaking of dreams, I had the strangest experience of checking out of Hazlitt's when I stayed there with my boyfriend in April. We hecked out at about 6am and were waiting in the foyer for our taxi as we had an early train to Paris when a massive ruckus/caterwauling/flailing pile of humans (two catatonically drunk twentysomethings) came barrelling out of the hotel's guest lounge, followed by a hotel porter, followed by an elegant and panicked-looking man all dressed in black. The twentysomethings were apparently some kind of rockstars who'd had an all night bender with the man in black who WAS a guest, tried to steal a bottle of Glenfiddich from the honesty bar in the lounge and do a runner, only to be tackled to the ground by the porter.

They were all running past us at a million miles an hour, screaming and flailing and fighting, when the man in black saw me sitting there, stopped dead in his tracks, bowed and introduced himself as Jeff, a sculptor from New York. It was so weird - and I'm not exaggerating, my boyfriend can back me up on this - he was completely transfixed by me and came over all dreamily in love. He took my hand, kissed it for ages, and said, "I had a dream about you last night..", to which I said, "Highly unlikely, we just met", and he said "Nono, I did, I've always known you, and you know me better than anyone. I can see your soul and it's beautiful." I finally had to extricate myself as the taxi was outside, as he trailed after me, asking sadly: "But when will I see you again?"

Then our taxi couldn't move for 10 minutes because one of the drunk rockstars was intentionally lying in the middle of the street blocking it, until our driver lost patience and got out and kicked him. It was all very surreal.

So, I highly recommend Hazlitt's.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rarerollingobject
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Spent one night at Hazlitt's as part of a night out including a show (12 Angry Men, very good by the way) in London. My wife's birthday so I was expecting the hotel to be pretty damn good. It certainly lived up to our expectations, very moody, sumptuous, taking you back into the Georgian 1700's, with quite risqué background and stories of corpses being left under beds. It's located in Soho - which we learned used to be a hunting place for Henry VIII - and has its own pretty risqué history but also very up market bars, restaurants and colourful people. The hotel staff were very friendly, welcoming and attentive. My wife and I had a great time!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Banjio_bill
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I love this boutique hotel in Soho, it's not going to suit everyone it's in the very heart of soho and can be very noisy at night (why are you staying in Soho?) but the rooms are full of so much charm and character and i love the antique furniture but then again if your use to the normal Hilton looking hotel room its not for you. I have always found the service good and the staff friendly

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bristolboy147
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Most comments, both positive and negative, have already been made. We chose Hazlitt's for Christmas in London specifically for the historic nature of the building and the character of the rooms.
After four days the novelty of the "quirks" and "character " was wearing off though.

Lack of storage, hooks of any sort for clothes, towels or bathrobes meant that every inch of surface was utilised for storage. Fine for one night but for a gay couple with suitcases and 4 days and nights worth of clothes (we don't travel light) it became a challenge.

The free standing Victorian bath looks very quaint but try taking a bath without flooding the floor (no matter how careful you are and how low you run the bath water). No shower meant that baths needed to be run each morning also-tedious after 4 days.

All minor points that could perhaps be taken as nit-picking but hey, it's details like this that help people on trip advisor to make the right choices.

As previously mentioned, the staff are great (and very pleasing to the eye in some cases) and the champagne and choccies on Christmas day were a very nice touch. They went out of their way to allocate a room that suited our request for a "dark and moody" Christmas atmosphere.

We requested a room on Frith Street for the atmosphere and as most places were closed over Christmas it was extremely quiet (spookily so for Soho). But I can appreciate peoples comments on noise. However, if you are sensitive to street noise then seriously, Soho is not the right choice for you in the first place).

Would we stay again? Yes, for a shorter stay and with a room that has a separate shower (if there is such a thing). So if you do book Hazlitt's, enjoy it for what it is, be prepared for all the quirks and eccentricities and you'll enjoy being in a fabulous part of London albeit in surroundings that feel like a country house hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a shower and bear in mind the lack of a lift so request a lower room if the...