“Pleasant experience”

Ranked #149 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Great Missenden, null, United Kingdom
“Pleasant experience”
Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

Nice experience but in light of the price not outstanding - shower is totally impractical and totally flooded the floor even though used the shower curtain. Service good, attentive and helpful on any questions we had on the hotel and the surrounding area.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

After parking in the Chinatown car park we were relieved the hotel was only a short walk away. We stumble across the pretty boutique hotel and are very warmly greeted by 2 chaps on reception. One showed us to our room 'baron willoughby suite' it is a very plush room, very comfortable and lovely looking bathroom, however, the shower isn't very practical. The floors were extremely creaky above but it wouldn't stop me going back in the future.

• Stayed April 2014
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I've wanted to stay at Hazlitt's for years and the opportunity arose last weekend when were planning a visit to the Soho Theatre. The hotel was exactly as I hoped and imagined- lavish, characterful and with an air of mild eccentricity. We were greeted warmly by the friendly reception staff. Our room was beautiful- gorgeous antique bed with Indian cotton bedding, cast iron free standing bath and original fireplaces. I have just one tiny complaint- the absence of a kettle in the room. We were shocked to discover that this wasn't some dreadful mistake and that we would have to order our morning cuppa as room service. Other than this mild disappointment, we had a wonderful stay at Hazlitt's and will return (armed with a travel kettle).

Room Tip: We stayed in the Joseph Munden room. It was fabulous.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Hazlitt's for 1 night in August. It was a disaster. We were shown to our room on the first floor. The room was plush and very classy, but it was hot. Extremely hot. The staff noticed and turned on the air con. After a few minutes it was clear there was no air coming from the vent. I explained to the receptionist I was unhappy with the room and wanted to change. As if to divert my attention from being slowly cooked alive I was asked whether I liked the other aspects of the room. I gently indicated that the other aspects were totally irrelevant if I couldn't sleep.

At this stage it was revealed they had a problem with the air con which was affecting some rooms. Despite knowing this they had not prepared the room. Why not open the windows before we arrived or unplug the fridge which was generating huge amounts of heat? They were fully booked so could not offer an alternative room. They couldn't even offer a desk fan.

It was late so we just had to made do. We were forced to open the windows to let some cool air in. Thereafter followed a restless night listening to the sounds of soho. We didn't sleep a wink. Highlights included the bottle bins outside being emptied at 3am and the 45 minute on street verbal altercation at 4am.

The only redeeming factor was the manager the following morning who was very apologetic and gave us a substantial discount on the room along with a free breakfast. Although I might add that the discount was only offered once I made it very clear I had no intention of paying 340 odd quid when I might have had a better nights sleep in a hostel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mrsurf929
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Very good hotel. Friendly staff, superb location next to all the great bars & restaurants in Soho. Smallish room but very comfortable. Shower very ordinary. Amazing fat hotel cat. Wifi not great. Brilliant breakfast places nearby, so no need to have breakfast in hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I am a Londoner and have walked past and admired Hazlitts many times, promising myself I would stay, so when some rare child-care was in place I booked in for 2 nights.

At first I was given a dark red room in the basement. Very nicely appointed, but 5 minutes in there and I was going around the bend with claustrophobia! I requested another room and got one upstairs. Airier, but it came with the view (and sound) of large fume extractors from neighbouring restaurants and the back of the modern drug and alcohol centre next door (... 'spose you can't get more Soho than that!)., which isn't nice when you are lying there in bed trying to enjoy the experience. Some of the furniture is quite naff and cheap - more cheap charity shop than antique. They get away with it because the lighting is kept dim - but I am a designer and notice these things.

On the plus side, the bed was extremely comfortable (even better than my very expensive one at home) and the location is unbeatable if you love Soho (as I do). I love the style of the hotel and the library you can hang out in after coming back from dinner. The staff were lovely too - I didn't experience any problems like other reviewers did.

But, £600 for 2 nights in a small noisy room with a direct view into a half-way house is over the top. The rooms at the front are probably much better, but I'd hate to think what they must cost.

Room Tip: avoid downstairs, unless you enjoy being underground. Also request a room at the front. The rooms at...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Allison H
Witham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Hazlitts is luxurious historic and extremely comfortable excellent location would not hesitate to stay again breakfast was hot and served on time staff were courteous and attentive honesty bar and mini bar well stocked

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple