“Average Hotel”

Ranked #426 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My review might be slight swayed by a stay in a hotel the night before that for the same price was infinitely better. The rooms were quite nice and the beds were good, although the decor was a little tired. The Resturant was good and the food was very enjoyable, but it is the service that lets the restaurant down. The dinner service wasn't too bad, but our waiter didn't have a great understanding of English and didn't have any idea about the wine, but the manager stepped in. Unfortunately breakfast was a bit of a disaster as our order got lost and our friends that joined us 15 minutes later ended up getting their foor before us. We actually waited almost 60 minutes for our breakfast. The breakfast was OK, but nothing special. Dissapointed that the waiter / waitress didn't even apologise for the delay. Overall the hotel was fine, but I think that they focus on wedding parties rather than the restuarant. There also are no real grounds to walk in. I probably wouldn't recommend this hotel or stay there again, seeing as there as so many hotels competing in this area. As this is a Hand Picked hotel I would expect a higher standard, but having stayed in a few now they seem to be aiming at a 4.25* level due to lack of attention to detail.

Beccy G, Management at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I was naturally very disappointed to read about your experience at the hotel and wanted to assure you that we have taken your comments very seriously and are addressing each one within the hotel. This is certainly not the standard that we strive for here at Hendon Hall and we are currently retraining all staff on the points you raised and also putting in additional procedures. As a company we are always looking at ways to increase of level of service and standards and I do hope that you will contact me on bgunn@handpicked.co.uk so that I discuss the stay with you further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Arabic first
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the third time on business as its a very convenient location. The hotel and rooms are nice and always clean, however the breakfast service is where this hotel is gravely let down, usually seated at a table before its being arranged after the previous guests, tea/coffee usually takes 10mins at least to arrive, breakfast around 30-40mins and dont bother ordering extra tea/ coffee/toast as it always gets forgotten.
Overall nice hotel but disappointingly slow forgetful service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank drewvr46
Beccy G, Management at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I am delighted that you stay with us on business and find our location so convenient and the hotel always clean. Naturally though I am disappointed to read about your experience at breakfast and wanted to assure you that we are currently addressing the issues you raise to ensure that in future we deliver a service that meets your expectations. I do hope that we will be seeing you again soon but if you would like to discuss this further with me, please do not hesitate to contact me on bgunn@handpicked.co.uk
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed two nights to be near family in Cricklewood. Very convenient for us. Lovely rooms but quite small. Very busy as catering a wedding both nights. Hotel is beautifully appointed especially breakfast room. Service at breakfast first morning was woeful. They were very busy due to wedding guests staying over, but seems these people were the only ones deserving service. We were totally ignored before asking for someone to take our order. Lady in charge did not even give us a look. When our food finally arrived it was not as ordered & then dirty plates were left on the table as new food was served. The second morning service was better, even spoken to by lady in charge. Would still recommend just beware of crowded car park if a wedding is on. Our brand new rental car was keyed along left side.

Room Tip: Ask for larger room if they have one
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Beccy G, Management at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that overall you would recommend the hotel but was disappointed to read about your experience at breakfast on the first day. It is certainly never our intention to ignore any of our guests and I hope that you will accept my sincere apologises for this. I would like to reassure you that we do act on all points raised and are retraining all staff to ensure this does not occur in the future. We all look forward to welcoming you back and if you would like to discuss this stay or you need any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on bgunn@handpicked.co.uk
Watford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was treated to afternoon tea here by my daughter as a belated birthday present. We arrived early, and were taken by the receptionist to the bar area, where we were quite happy to sit and have a relaxed drink before our tea. We were shown to our table by a lovely member of staff, I think she may have been German, but i am not sure. She was so attentive, and just smiled the whole time! We were asked about dietry requirements, of which we had none, and then she explained about the variety of teas etc avaliable, and then left to give us time to decide on which ones we preferred. Tea, when it arrived, was beautifully set out on a three tiered cake stand. With a lovely choice of finger sandwiches and a variety of cakes. Personally, not having particularly sweet teeth, my daughter and I would have perhaps preferred another round of sandwiches and less cakes, but having said that it couldn't be faulted. We would most definitely come here again, the staff were wonderful, and we were even offered more tea, but we were happy with the glass of champagne which came with our tea. Thank you Hendon Hall for a lovely afternoon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Beccy G, Management at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We were delighted that we were able to make your daughter's belated birthday tea such a success. It is fabulous to read that all the work we having been doing on Afternoon Tea has made such a difference and that all the staff were able to look after you so well. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon and please do not hesitate to contact me on bgunn@handpicked.co.uk.
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Hendon Hall Hotel London

Well, what can I say? Free parking, free Wi-Fi, free soft refreshing drink in reception on arrival. And this was just the start of our weekend.
I booked a suite for my wife, as a birthday gift, as I had purchased tickets to see a West End show on the Friday night. As we walked up to our room (204) there was a spectacular glistening chandelier above the stairs, which harked back to the grandeur of when Hendon Hall was a private mansion. As you walk into the room you cannot miss the enormous four poster bed that I had requested. Because of the way that they “used” to build houses many years ago, the ceiling is about 12-15ft high, which allowed the living room of our suite to have a stunning chandelier above the oversized settee in our living room, way above our heads. The wardrobe benefited from the high ceilings as well, allowing enough head height to be able to stand inside should I wish. This certainly helped when hanging my wife’s full length dress without having to drape on the floor. The only thing missing was the en-suite!
Well I found it, down a small set of stairs in the corner of our room. As I opened the door, I was greeted with a family sized bathroom containing a toilet, bidet, large sink, bath and a separate shower. WOW!! I didn’t expect that. Our room overlooked the rear garden which made for a very quiet room. Other amenities in the room included a mini bar, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, a coffee making machine and kettle to make tea and hot chocolate.
Every member of staff at the hotel made eye contact and conversation with us, which made us feel very welcome and special. The room was equal to if not bigger in size to a number of hotels in the West End, and I will be sure to book up again later in the year when we bring my daughter to London to see another show.
Breakfast was equally enjoyable with many options available, vegetarian, full cooked and continental food on offer, as well as cereals fruit and toast. What made dining in this room even more significant, was that adorned on the walls as you enter the room were pictures of England 1966 world cup squad from when they stayed here during their successful campaign. We actually stayed in the same hotel and while the 2014 world cup was on as well.

Room Tip: Room 204 (Suite) recommended.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Beccy G, Management at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We were delighted to not only meet but exceed your expectations as the comfort and enjoyment of our guests is of utmost importance to us. We all agree here that Hendon Hall is very special and real gem in London. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon and please do contact me on bgunn@handpicked.co.uk if I can be of any assistance.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed in this superb hotel during a visit to see 1D at Wembley Stadium with my daughter. The hotel is gorgeous with beautiful gardens and our rooms were perfect and excellent value. The breakfast included was very tasty although service was a little slow. I would definately stay here again as we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2014
Beccy G, Management at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We were delighted to help make the 1D weekend so memorable and it is always fabulous hear that you will be returning to us when you are next in London. I have noted your comment regarding breakfast and please rest assured we always try to act on all comments made and are constantly looking at ways to improve the service speed at breakfast. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon and please do contact me if you need anything in the meantime on bgunn@handpicked.co.uk.
Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel and will not be back.
There must be a corridor directly above Room 208 and people, we presume staff, trampled up and down all night. It sounded like a herd of elephants going up and down. Nothing with walking around quietly, at all. You pay to sleep there and can't.
We also ate in the restaurant and the food was not of a good standard either. A piece of fish cooked with no sauce or anything it was plain and rubbery. I know that these are old buildings
and a certain amount of noise is to be expected but not all night and not like that. The building
itself is lovely and the room was quite nicely furnished, bathroom clean and tidy too.
The carpet could do with replacing though.
Receptionist not friendly next morning, just didn't want to know. Actually at the stage I just couldn't leave soon enough.

Room Tip: Not Room 208 Far too noisy
1 Thank Sallychristine
Beccy G, Management at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. Naturally I was very disappointed to read that your stay at the Hall was not to standard due to the noise from the bedroom above. I would like to assure that this was not caused by the Night Staff and we are investigating the noise so that we can address it. I was also sorry to read that you did not enjoy the food in the restaurant and that you left with a negative impression of the hotel. I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you and would ask that you kindly contact me on bgunn@handpicked.co.uk.