“Ruined wedding night!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #427 of 1,086 Hotels in London
London
“Ruined wedding night!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2010

I spent 1 night here with my husband on our wedding night. As I didn't have time to look into hotels I saw the pictures on the website and thought it looked quite nice - bad mistake! Arrived around 1am, went to our room which was cold and there was not even toothpaste in this so called '4* hotel'. Hubby had to go down to reception and ask for some which they did give- but it was a half empty one which belonged to the receptionst!

Then when I was showering, there was a knock on the door and the concierge told my husband that I had to stop because it was causing a leak downstairs! They didn't even offer to move us into another room - did they expect us just not to shower!!?

So only after my husband complained did they finally agree to move us. Intially to across the hall to a similar shabby room. But as hubby kicked up a fuss they then moved us to probably the best room in the hotel which was a four poster room which was quite decent but very dated.

Overall we were very dissapointed, the hotel is very dated, staff were not very helpful and quite frankly ruined our first night as newly weds. On the up side, breakfast was good but that's about it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Arabic first
Born Londoner
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

If you would like to stay in North London away from the tourist crowds, or want to run a business event away from the madding crowds and have a spot of luxury, this could be the place for you. Every member of staff I met was incredibly friendly and went out of their way to ensure I was comfortable. I'm not sure whether previous reviews were dealing with a different set of staff as they were very courteous to me even though I'm quite young and often get ignored in hotels! The chef is to be complimented - I loved his menu - and the bar staff mix a perfect Kir Royale. There's also a very good wine list which would be good for weddings I imagine. You can eat breakfast in the gorgeous gardens outside which is a huge plus. We actually had a room service breakfast which was enormous and came to our room with a lot of aplomb - we loved it! The rooms are quite small due to this being an old manor house. They are however well laid out, cozy and spotless. The flat screen TV was a nice touch (new vs. old!). It's quite romantic for a night away from home with your partner.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hanlovespugs
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

This hotel is in urgent need of refurbishment. The dining room chairs were heavily stained, the carpet rucked and dangerous and many of the common areas of the hotel were freezing. The quality of the food was poor with breakfast being a particular disappointment. Vile coffee, cheap orange juice, nasty croissants and dreadfully slow service. And don't be fooled by the phots - this hotel is actually in the middle of a heavily built residential area of North London.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Buckingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

Booked a Winter Break deal for my husband and I plus another couple. £149 DBB including champagne & canapés before dinner. Very good price! Upgraded our room (£10) and paid £15pp to upgrade to the a la carte menu.

Problems with booking included being charged in full for 3 rooms, despite several emails and phone calls from me alerting them to the mistake. It took several phone calls and transfers to other 'departments' ("it's not my area") to arrange a refund.

Our bathroom door wouldn't close (and we're not one of those couples who 'shares' everything!) but housekeeping said it would take 24 hours to get it fixed (it was water damaged and had expanded, so it needed to be planed and re-hung) so we asked to move to another room as we were only staying 1 night. We were told the hotel was fully booked but eventually they said we could move into somebody else's room as they had not yet arrived. Simply passing the problem on to another customer!

One of the bar staff didn't speak a word of English. She didn't even know 'beer' for goodness sake! Those who could speak English were nice enough but very slow.

There was confusion over which menu we were entitled to and we were told by the first waiter that he'd have to check with the chef that he was able to do the a la carte option. Having paid £60 (in total) to upgrade the 4 of us to that menu, I was QUITE sure that he WOULD be able to! Thankfully I had my confirmation letter with me. We still needed to explain to each and every waiter that we were on the a la carte menu, so it wasn't the most relaxing dining experience. It has to be said though, the food was absolutely gorgeous.

The final straw was our Sunday Times not being delivered in the morning. We were impressed on check-in that they had recorded our newspaper preference to our profile (having stayed with Handpicked several times before) but when we phoned reception to ask where it was, we were told it must have been delivered to the wrong room and that it was out fault for moving rooms! Priceless!

Overall, the service was utterly shocking and definitely NOT what you should receive from a Handpicked Hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hendon_Hall, Sales Manager at Hendon Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
We would like to respond to your comments and regain your confidence in our hotels and would appreciate it if you could contact us on customerservices@handpicked.co.uk so we can either email, write or phone you.
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

It's taken me a while to remember to sign in and write this review.
I have already once reviewed this hotel having stayed in one of the suites on the night before my wedding (which was good)
i wanted to book this hotel for my husband's birthday (our first married birthday) and stay in one of the amazing suites.
I booked it and I got all excited as it was a surprise.

well, we turned up and got told that the suite wasn't available due to a "plumbing problem" and we would have to have a normal room. I was so disappointed, no apology or explanation as to why they hadnt phoned me earlier to inform me.

we were taken up to a normal room, and i have to say. it was not up to the standards of the suites at all. small room, small creeky bed, decor was outdated and pretty disappointing. so much so we left and didnt stay.even when we went back to reception to say we werent staying....no apology.

so, pretty disappointing. we actually ended up at a premier travel inn that night. Bed was much bigger!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2009

I picked this hotel because it was out of the congestion zone and had a car park, because the photograph attracted me and because it was near where I grew up, many years ago. I got an extremely good price through Hotels-London, and spent two nights there. During the day I took bus and Underground downtown. The hotel was utterly pleasant: room not large but charming and comfortable, staff extraordinarily helpful, restaurant (for dinner) exceptional. The only drawback was during the second night, being awoken by loud TV talk in the wee hours and not being able to locate the room it came from -- it went on till after breakfast. I suggested they put stickers on the TVs with an urgent request to mind the neighbours. But I have since recommended the hotel to everyone, and would definitely stay there again. A real pleasure, and at a (for London) remarkably low price.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank roger41France
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

From reading previous reviews we were in 2 minds about booking this hotel, however we were very pleased that we chose to do so! We arrived earlier than the specified check-in time but received a warm welcome and were able to check in early. The overall presentation of the hotel is excellent, somewhat dated in certain areas but to be expected in such a historic building. The room was a good size, well presented and very clean. The service we received from the staff was excellent and the breakfast was well worth the money. The only draw back with this hotel is its distance from the tube station and from the centre of London. The website states that it is a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest tube but it is far more than that through an area that isn't particularly nice. We chose to drive to the station and leave our car in one of the many side streets (no fee or permits required on a weekend or bank holiday). Its then 11 stops to Leicester Square so a bit of a trek into the centre of the city. That being said, we believe that the quality of the hotel was worth it and would definitely stay at this hotel again and have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple