“Basic but good - crap coffee and breakfast”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #560 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed for a night when on a quick 2 day trip to London. Hotel is less that 10 mins walk from Euston Station and right on the corner of Russell Square which is very handy.
Hotel was a bit dated but otherwise clean and the staff very helpful.
The room was fine. It was clean, bright and had a decent en-suite with a loo, bath and shower and had small complementary shampoo/soap.
The room was on the 8th floor and looked onto the central water feature (very 1970's/kitch). It didn't have any air conditioning which would have been nice as it was 23 oC outside, but we left the windows open (NB. very, very open - parents beware!) Dispite this I was not disturbed by any traffic noise and did not wake once - I am a Highlander and am used to complete silence/darkness at night and wake at the slightest "beep!"
My only have two little gripes....
1) The noise from the service lift which was next to room which started getting used at 0730 - it did my nut in, although it didn't bother my other half (the town mouse).
2) The Breakfast. It was included but well below par. I ended up with cereal as the cooked breakfast was rubbish - the porridge was watery gruel, the sausages were made from about 10% meat, the egg was inedible (aster off) and the toast was limp and rubbery having been sitting out in a bain-marie sweating..... All you'd expect from a "cheap" hotel. The coffee however was inexcusable - it was cheap instant coffee poured out by the staff from flasks. I could not drink it (and I usually holiday in a tent on a mountain, so am used to slumming it on instant coffee!)
Overall it was fine and I would definitely stay there again........but I'll be going to McDonalds for brekky!

Room Tip: Any room ending 47 will be next to service lift - OK if you're getting up early (we were in room...
2  Thank Bobbi W
Write a ReviewReviews (2,099)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We just got back from a stay at the Imperial Hotel, On arrival we where sure this was not the hotel we had booked as the front of the hotel looking onto Russel Square had a lot to be desired. The Curtains had stains and where stained yellow. (These need to be replaced) On first glances its not somewhere you would want to stay. Upon entering the hotel the reception area was fantastic, Clean and tidy and the lady at the check in desk was very helpful. We where told that we had been upgraded so this was a perk. We went to our room and on first glances the room was pretty basic, but looked clean. However we found a brown hair in one bed, Black fluff ball in the other and make up smeared on the floor in the bathroom and a stain in the toilet.... Think housekeeping need to keep an eye on things. Also the windows are single glazed and there is no air con so on a hot summer night you either have to deal with the noise or sweat.

Its not the cleanest of places we have stayed in but for the price we couldn't relay complain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Russel square.
1  Thank Rachel_Gary_12
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We did not get what we ordered!!
We paid for Double bed
And we got twin bed.
"You did not ordered from us" the hotel
Management told us.
We have no obligation to you.
The stuff were not nice and not welcoming.
Small room, old, poor cleans

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
4  Thank Eyal B
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Although the location of this hotel is good, the hotel lost my reservation which resulted in me receiving a lot of abuse from the desk person who failed to see how any of this was his concern. I have never know anyone to start shouting at guests when all the guest has done is ask for some help. To make matters worse Once they had found somewhere to put me I was then faced with dragging my luggage through London to the event that I was going to the next day as nothing could be left at the hotel. It also has to be said that the room given after much stress that night was filthy and badly in need of some attention from a mop and a new coat of paint to hide the smear marks of filth on the walls. The carpet was even worse and there was evidence of blood stains in the bathroom. In short I wish I had never went. At £90 plus pounds a night this was a complete waste of money and I expected much better. It is more of a hostel pretending to be a hotel. The only good thing was that after three days I left and booked into another hotel for the remainder of my trip which was absolutely fantastic and welcoming from the moment I walked through the door. If only I had done that in the first place I may have avoided gaining some additional grey hairs.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Maxine387
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My cousins and I found this hotel to be perfect for us. The location was great and within walking distance of restaurants, pubs and the British museum. It was affordable and because it was within our price range and the location was great we didn't mind some of the outdated furniture and such. Breakfast included is always a plus. In London it's so easy to get to the airport on the tube and this hotel is right near a station.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Not a bad hotel. Staff are good and very helpful. Room is clean and comfortable. Food is reasonable. That's about it - no real stand-out qualities that make the hotel a cut above anything else. I suppose the location is ideal for the British Museum, or even a short walk down to the west end. If you can get a cheap deal (e.g. Superbreak etc) then all the better. In summary, no real complaints (perhaps the windows could do with better noise isolation) but then again no real wow-factor either (view overlooking Russell Square is nice though)

Room Tip: Higher rooms will enjoy a good view and less road noise.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Pleasant hotel close to Euston Station, and easy to get to the attractions and theatres if you don't mind catching a couple of buses which are easy enough once you get used to it. You can walk if your young enough. The breakfast was a good selection of English breakfast goodies

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family