“Good in parts”
Review of Lords Hotel

Lords Hotel
Ranked #893 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Firstly the goods - excellently situated for transport and local dining/pubs, keenly priced, friendly service, clean and with comfortable, if small, beds.

Not so goods - perfunctory breakfast as supplied, particularly if planning a day sightseeing.

Then the bads - No lifts (elevators) with steep stairs, a bit noisy and with less than perfect drainage resulting in some sewage-type smells. I noticed at the bottom of my staircase a room next to a public lavatory, there was a smell of sewage on the staircase, so I imagine that the occupant of that ground floor room would have had the smell on a permanent basis. The staircase down to the dining area is very steep and seemed a little unsafe to me.

All that said, I would use it again as a base for sightseeing

Room Tip: Avoid top floor unless very fit
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Dhimmi456

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We decided to choose this hotel because a reasonable price connected with a perfect location (we are students, so we can't spend 100 and more pounds per night). It is located near Kensington Gardens and Hyde park. There are two tube stations Queensway (Central line) and Bayswater (Circle line) - both Zone 1 - just 8-10 minutes of walk. We were having picnic diner in Kensington gardens almost every evening.
The hotel has a very fast and helpful personal when you e-mail them, so if you have any questions about reservations and so it is the best way. It has quite a lot of rooms. We had a small twin room (and they let us move our beds together) with the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in my life. There are shower, toilet and basin in the area of maybe 2 meter square. The floor was not flat so after having shower there was a big puddle under the toilet.
We had a window with a view of some pipes and neigbouring buildings backs and it was quite impossible to open it properly, so it was hot in there. Everything else was nice: working TV, all bulbs, nice beds, clean sheats, small cupboard.
The room and the rest of the hotel were clean. The breakfast which is included is in the basement. You have small form on your table every morning and you can choose any 4 from the offer (croissant, brown/white toast bred, muffin, cornflakes, yoghurt, 5 kind of tea, coffee, orange and apple juice) and you can pay small amount for some other things like full english (4 pounds), eggs, nuttela (50p) or cappucino.
The staff during breakfast was really nice. The staff at the reception was poor: we asked about the best way to the airport and they recomended just a taxi that we could not afford and didn't know anything else.
The whole stay was nice and the value for money is great. Perfect location!!

Room Tip: try to get ground floor, little noise from higher floors but no stairs
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boruvka_a
Reviewed 8 July 2013

If you don't mind the tiny bathroom, it is a B&B of a very good location. So close to 2 subway stations, Bayswater and Queensway. I could even get the train direct to watch Wimbledon and no need to change :)

Staff is friendly. It's affordable. There is bicycle rental nearby, can cycle or walk to the beautiful parks nearby (Kensington and Hyde Park).

A shopping mall nearby with cinema (Whiteleys), an organic shop with great food for eat in with free wifi, a Michelin 2 stars Spanish restaurant with set lunch cost less than 10 pounds.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HelloKuromi
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We had read all the reviews so was pretty much prepared for all that Lords had to offer, no surprises. It was small, the bathroom was even smaller (more on that in a minute) but the staff were friendly and it suited us to a T for getting around London.

Kensington park is only five minutes up the road. Royal Albert Hall is within walking distance.

Two Underground stations are close by and will easily link you to other Underground runs.

Theres restaurants only two minutes walk up the road and easy to get a taxi if needed.

Breakfast is standard, nothing flash. Get the toast as one of your options and go from there. Internet is expensive - the 24 hour internet is just that - 24 hours, whether you use it or not and turn off wifi when not using. Its not accumulative so you're better going for the smaller allowance option even though the larger one seems more economical.

The bathroom - we had a standard twin room with private bathroom. It was like the bathroom had been added in later. It was like a little cubicle at the end of the room and the size of a shower box - THE WHOLE BATHROOM! The shower was for people 5" 2 and 23kgs dripping wet, my knees reached the door when sitting on the toilet and if you needed to shave legs or anything, well be prepared to have your backside in the shower, your leg on the dunny and your head in the sink. It was so claustrophobic for someone nearly 6" tall that we took to dressing in the area between the hall door and our door!

Having said that, we used it for showering once a day, we used the room for sleeping and for those two purposes, in a city where accommodation is hideously expensive, this was a great cheaper option.

Best Feature: Location, Friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Clarkies_Travels
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Perfectly situated to the west of the City, one stop from Paddington. That's about it for the positives. Don't get me wrong, I've stayed in much worse but also much better budget hotels in London. When I say budget, it seems that London hotel prices are shooting up these days, even for a place like this.

Like I said, location wise it's great if you arrive in London through Paddington. It's a 5 minute walk from Bayswater tube stop and a 10 minute walk to Hyde Park.

Facilities wise, we had a twin room as all the doubles were booked. It was small but adequate, the bed was comfortable but the pillows were like wafers, but having said that we had a good nights sleep. It was also very clean. The bathroom (no bath) was a tiny plastic caravan bathroom, the shower was absolutely tiny, especially for me at 6'2", which resulted in water pooling all over the floor and dripping into the room. We did have a problem with the shower, but in fairness to the staff it was sorted within 10 minutes.

Other than that, it was ok. The only major negative was the wafer thin walls which meant 7am the next morning we were woken up by a load of Spanish students in the room next door and the squeaky floor boards outside our room.

It is a budget hotel, but if all you want is a bed for the night it's perfectly adequate. Would I stay here again? Maybe, if I didn't have much of an option.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I had a great time at Lords, very clean and cheap hotel near Bayswater station (4/5 blocks away) that took us to all main city spots. Breakfast though limited, was sufficient (and it is true, the muffin is awesome!). Bayswater area is residential but has many shops (mostly of souvenirs) so it is wonderful. Near to Hyde park but not for a walking distance to the main centre. I suggest always using the tube. In all, I would definitely go back! This is a hotel for those who only look for a clean, cheap, and safe place to sleep on after a long day of walking around! The only "bad" thing is the shower in the tiny bathroom, but I don't think there is much to do about that. It wasn't that big of a deal anyway for us.

Room Tip: Ask for the lower floors, because there is no elevator!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lucila_guerrero
PinaLondon, Manager at Lords Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear Lucila

Thanks for the positive feedback! We would love to welcome you again at Lords!

All the best
Pina Puggioni
Manager

Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stayed in Lords Hotel in London from May 10-13, 2013. The price is great and the location is outstanding: right next to Hyde Park and two subway stations (Queensway and Bayswater). The building looks nice on the outside, but once inside I admit I couldn't stop gawking at the grimy carpeting. This isn't a luxury hotel; it's a place for people who are used to spending the whole day out, and only want a hotel to get some rest at night.

We got a room on the fourth floor. No elevator. Narrow, steep staircase. Luckily, we had only traveled with backpacks so the climb wasn't that bad. The room itself was basic but sufficient. As others have commented, the bathrooms are tiny and taken from motor homes. Still, it beats having to share a bathroom!

Breakfast was all right, although I was surprised to see that it wasn't buffet style. Instead, the servers leave a slip of paper on each table with the available items (orange juice, apple juice, croissant, hot chocolate, tea, chocolate muffin, toast, yogurt) and each person can choose a maximum of four. I don't particularly appreciate having to limit my breakfast, but oh well, at least the muffins were delicious.

Up to here, I've only talked about minor inconveniences, really. None of this put me or my boyfriend off the hotel. The only real complaint I have about Lords Hotel is the reception staff, particularly the lady on service in the mornings. She was so cold-eyed, curt and unpleasant that we didn't dare ask her for anything during our stay. The young man who did the night shift was nicer. At least he smiled and was welcoming.

All in all, I recommend this hotel if you're looking for a place to spend the night--nothing more. It's in a great place with easy access to restaurants and the subway system, so it's perfect for people who want to roam the city all day.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple