“A superb weekend in London”

Mercure London Bridge
Ranked #301 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
An Accor traveller
Birmingham UK
Reviewed 7 July 2011

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank An Accor traveller
Write a ReviewReviews (2,092)

Reviewed 6 July 2011

£150 reduced rate for a very small "double" room. Avoid rooms ending in 24 as they seem to be the smallest... looking at the "in case of fire" details.

My main gripe however was breakfast.

Firstly they billed me for it twice, adding the second one to my credit card without explanation or permission.

Arrived to a relatively quiet breakfast area, but they were not getting the tables made up in time, so people were being shown to cleared tables and then had to wait for cutlery etc.

Ordered coffee and toast and went to find the starter.

No orange juice and very limited selection.... over cooked croissants was the best I could muster. Asked for orange juice.

Had my crunchy croissants. No sign of the coffee... asked again.

So far nothing to drink, but finally they replenished the orange.

Went for main course, still no coffee but it did arrive part way through main course.

Main course however was dismal.

1 plate warmer didn't do the job,.cold plates
2 food was all luke warm and did not look appetising.
3 no fried eggs... (went back twice but didn't turn up, so asked. Finished breakfast by the time they arrived.
4 no salt or pepper to be seen on any tables, but spotted one set on the side and borrowed them. I could see other guests also looking for these basics.
5 coffee arrived... Hurrah! Oh, no milk... so the waitress borrowed a part used one from another table

As a sole traveller it was interesting looking around at other guests who were getting equally frustrated.

Suffice to say that, regardless of the "quality" of the hotel, I don't think I shall boother returning.

PS I do write good reviews of places too

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
MercureBankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your Breakfast experience with us at Mercure London City Bankside.
I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously.
We are looking into the matter and will be taking corrective actions.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

I booked this online with prepaid option...the room package booked was "Mercure Privilege". As I was on business trip, so had not to look around hotel much but then I could see few rooms at my floor marked Mercure Privilege. As my booking was also for Mercure Privilege but my room didn't show that on the door. I just wondered if the Privilege rooms were different that mine. Other than that I had a good stay in the hotel and had a personal small balcony with seating for two which was perfect in the evening for a sip of wine and the prepaid option was a great bargain when I saw the actual rack rate for the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank arvind7421

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments and the matter will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure London City Bankside very soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

Good position - only 4 stops on the Underground from Bond Street. Our room was excellent - plenty of space. Wonderfully comfortable mattress. The real purpose of writing this review however is the fantastically friendly, professional and helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble. This hotel will be my hotel of choice when staying in London.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Traidervic

Many thanks for the review.
We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Mercure London City Bankside.
I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.
Genreral Manager

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed at this hotel during business trips on numerous occasions.
I must say - that for the price one has to pay - this is a very average hotel.
Location is good, rooms are clean but somehow each time I visit something is not right. I get the impression that there are only trainees at the front desk. Check in/check out takes ages.

Definately not a 4 star hotel compared to other european cities.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations.
The team and I at Mercure London City Bankside appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue.

Reviewed 2 July 2011

This is a ood quality business hotel in London. The rooms were large and well-appointed, the staff are friendly and the food is great value. The breakfast is very, very good and has everything you would want or need. Breakfast service for toast was a little on the slow side, but it was busy.

Location is good, 5 min to Blackfriars bridge, close to Southwark tube and a reasonable walk to Fleet St, St. Pauls, London Bridge or Waterloo. It is central to these areas but lying on the South Bank of the Thames. Great local bars and internationally know entertainment with 5-10min walk from hotel (Globe, Vic, Tate Modern plus a host of chic eateries).

Overall very good. I stay in London a lot and the room rate here can vary wildly from very good value to extremely expensive. This is purely on demand for the rooms. Llyods Group/RBS and others often use this hotel so it does pack out.

Reception staff are very nice. This is basically a very good business hotel. Better than Premier Inns but not quite the level of Park Plaza.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Greggbb

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here.
I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Mercure London City Bankside very soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

My girlfriend and i decided to visit London for her 21st birthday between th 10-12 june 2011 and after deliberating decided to stop at the Mercure london city bankside . After arriving i was instantly impressed . The first thing that stuck out to me was that the location was superb and within 2 minutes walk from the thames and Southwark underground (Jubilee line) , and also as it was so close to the thames it was excellent for walk down the side of the river seeing all the stalls restaurants and the london eye within a 10-20 minute walk , well worth it . Anyway back to the hotel . When we arrived the staff were very helpful and explained everthing to us well , there was a case with the door keys but as soon as it was sorted they were veryu helpful and as we were slightly inconvienienced ( and i mean slightly) they staff gave us a bigger room with no charge at all.. The rooms are very very nice and clean and in very good order with everything you would expect for a good quality London hotel . The bed was AMAZING and huge as well as being very comfortable . The rooms had an ironing board and iron cofee and tea making facilities , a hairdryer , a mini bar and even a nespresso coffe mackine with plenty of cofee capsules. The bathroom was lovely and clean and had all gels and soap that were needed and of course lovely fresh towels daily . As mentioned in the title the breakfasts are an absolute must here . All continental types catered for and then of course the hot breakfast with all the essentials to keep everyone happy . I must say i9t probable was the best breakfast ive had in a hotel .....
One last thing and probably the most important . The staff really went that extra mile to please and make surwe you felt special. They were always on hand and ordered and called over taxis for us and when it was raining came in to us and walked to the taxis under an umbrella which made us feel very looked after , so i would like to say thank you to all staff that worked on that weekend .

Overall a brilliant hote in a great location , with friendly and helpful staff , brilliant rooms and a great breakfast.

10/10 and i will definately be returning

hanks fo a great weekend ..

Room Tip: Simply just ask for an upgrade