“very good hotel, excellent location, very friendly staff!”

Mercure London Bridge
Ranked #304 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Is the second time when i came to this hotel, and i can confirm they improuve a lot!

Me and my partener book one privilage room, oure room was with balcony, is amazing to drink your coffe in the morning out on the terace!

Oure room was clean, spacious, with nespreso coffe machine!

The hotel is located verry close to Globe, Tate, and river....

Is very valuable and soon we will be back!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emy1983

Reviewed 9 August 2011

Spent 3 nights here in one of their Priviledge rooms. Rooms were spacious and well equipped (even had a Nespresso machine in the room!). Buffet breakfast was very nice with an excellent selection, even for those arriving at the end of the breakfast service. Cant agree with those who've complained about the staff - I found them to be extremely friendly and helpful.

Location was good - 10 minutes walk from either Southwark or London Bridge tube stations. Nice looking cafes and bars across the road, and a 5 minute walk from the Globe.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank sandie_mcg
MercureBankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Many thanks for the positive comments.
I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure London City Bankside again very soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2011

This hotel is convenient to my usual office when staying in London so I've stayed here quite often including a trip at the end of July. Rooms are clean and comfortable but certainly more cramped than the Novotel round the corner. Standard features include safe and irons. There are a range of shops and restaurants just over the road which is very convenient.

Staff are friendly and helpful at front desk but service in the restaurant at breakfast is problematic to say the least. They have a good continental selection and a limited hot buffet. there are items which are cooked to order but for some reason they can NEVER organise to get everything right or delivered at the same time.

It's a good option if the Novotel is full and if you drive it has the benefit of free if limited parking.

1  Thank Dagog

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review.
I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

This was my second stay at the Bankside and the problems with my first stay had been rectified. Very handy if you're looking to visit Southbank/Tate Modern or Brough. Rooms are a little dark [small windows and wooden blinds] and small but not the smallest I've stayed in London.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Qwerteq
MercureBankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Many thanks for the review.
We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Mercure London City Bankside.
I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

My 12 year-old son and I spent 5 days here while exploring London, and we couldn't be happier. These guys are doing almost everything right. The room is clean and comfortable. The hotel gym is complementary, and so is wireless internet in the lobby. There is even a hard wired high-speed computer in the lobby, free to use. On a rainy day, there were umbrellas for our use. Again, no charge. The hotel restaurant, The Loft has a wonderful 3-course kids menu for a mere seven pounds. An incredible deal. The service, both in the restaurant and at the front desk is the best I have experienced anywhere. The only thing I wish was different is that the food in the restaurant could have more flavour. But there are lots and lots of other restaurants close by, so its really not a problem either. Finally, the location is perfect, close to the Underground and the Millennium Bridge.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank asgeirberge
MercureBankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

My team and I very much appreciate your kind words.
We’re glad to have been a part of your visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Mercure London City Bankside.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

I chose to stay a the Mercure Bankside on a business trip to London due to its proximity to the workplace that I was visiting. This turned out however to be a big mistake.

The staff are anything but courteous. In fact, I do not think they have received any kind of customer service training. I have traveled extensively and am shocked at the level of service I received, especially when my company was forking out 200GBP/night. I also observed other customers being treated rudely, and have spoken to some other colleagues who have stayed there who confirm the poor service.

The room itself was very small and not practical. The desk is tiny and certainly not suitable for doing any work. The bed mattress was of poor quality; you could feel the springs digging into you and had a backache within a couple of hours of laying on it. Also the bed is actually bed of 2 beds and 2 mattresses put together making very uncomfortable. I was also to learn from 2 colleagues who where sharing a room that they charged them 20GBP per night to have the 2 beds separated!

The bathroom was again sub-par. There is no ventilation in the bathroom. I repeat no ventilation, except for 2 hours each day (according to the desk clerk). Also the flush didn't work properly and it seems like this was a common issue as my colleague had to change rooms at 4am because their toilet flush didn't work, a request which at first the staff did not want to grant.

Overall, I was extremely disappointed with the Mercure Bankside. I tried canceling the room but because I had booked pre-paid (with a discount that was tiny and certainly not worth it), the staff refused to give me any kind of refund. I spent several hours talking to the desk clerk, assistant manager, as well as the manager and they refused to give me any sort of refund, showing all too well that they care about taking your money more than their reputation.

I would not stay at this hotel again even if I was paid to do so.

1  Thank jnc_sf

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations.
The team and I at [hotel name] in [destination] appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issues.
Please feel free to email me on florian.jourdhier@accor.com to discuss further.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Its very difficult to get a good value hotel hotel in London but this is poor. While it has a good location my service was poor. I was locked out of my room twice by the electronic key which resulted in me walking back down to reception to get it sorted. When I checked out I made them aware I had taken a water from the minibar which wasn't on the bill, a perfect chance for them to waive it due to all the key messing, afraid not, they obviously weren't that sorry depite saying so repeatedly.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Mercure London City Bankside.
I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously.
We are looking into the matter, but feel free to contact me on [--] to discuss this further.