“Value for money”

Mercure London Bridge
Ranked #308 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I found a nice hotel, quite basic, but with all the amenities in place for a short stay, close to the central attractions of the city and 'value for money'. I really recommend for few days if the tariff with breakfastvis under 100 pounds.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
MercureBankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review.
I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Mercure London City Bankside, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.
Florian Jourdhier

Write a ReviewReviews (2,063)

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Myself and my partner stayed her for a birthday weekend. We searched long and hard to find a hotel to tick all the boxes. I am very glad to say that this hotel is perfect, I will stay here any time I am in London again. I would also recommend it to friends. The location is perfect for exploring the many sights of London. We booked this on Hotel Vault and found it to be the cheapest rate. The Breakfast was excellent and the staff were all very friendly. The most comfortable hotel bed ever!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jennifer186605
MercureBankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Many thanks for the positive comments,
I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure London City Bankside again very soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

This hotel has recently had some shockingly bad reviews; reading them, with a reservation already made by my company, my heart sank. But I truly feel I must have stayed at a different hotel from the one slated by others, maybe in some parallel universe.
The staff were all friendly and helpful (particularly nice for a lone female business traveller). I only wanted brief internet access, to check something, and they offered it to me free; I found the prix fixe dinner menu most acceptable and not at all boring, served with charm and Japanese butter. After sleeping well, in a comfortable bed in a quiet and immaculately clean room, breakfast was of a really high standard, again with plenty of helpful staff, and excellent coffee and croissants. Checkout was efficient, with profuse apologies for a short wait while seemingly everyone was trying to leave at once...what was there not to like? If that part of London (10 minutes or so walk from London Bridge) suits you, this is a good, pleasant hotel, with helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Rachel50_10
MercureBankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Many thanks for the review.
We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Mercure London City Bankside.
I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

I was recently in London on business on short notice and stayed in the Mercure on Bankside. As a hotel that seems to be marketing itself at the business customer, it left a lot to be desired. In particular the service at the Loft Restaurant was disgraceful. When I arrived for dinner the place was in chaos - and the first utterance from the waiting staff was to put you off staying by telling you that they could not take an order for 40 minutes. The place seemed completely understaffed in the kitchen and somewhat over managed, with a manager trying to intervene with the floor staff, but only adding to the chaos. The Bedroom had aircon, but it was noisy and had to be turned off to get some sleep and the windows opened on to a noisy street. Breakfast the next morning was a bit better, but check out was equally chaotic - I had a query on my bill and was promised a call back, but it never arrived. All in all a bad experience and expensive at that - this is one chain I will not be returning to!

Room Tip: Keep away from the front of the house - very noisy
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Mercure London City Bankside.
I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously.
We are looking into the matters you raised and will take necessary corrective actions, but feel free to email me on florian.jourdhier@accor.com to discuss this further.
Genreral Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2011

I enjoyed a very nice weekend trip to London and I must say that this hotel was excellent. The staff was extremely helpful helping me with my luggage that was lost on the way to London and they also were very friendly (especially the guy who worked the night shift during the weekend was very talkative and helpful). The room was spotless, bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was pretty spacious. Breakfast was very good with warm and cold buffet. I must say that the normal room rate is very high (over 200 £) but the weekend deals are more affordable. The location close to Tate Modern is very good, short walk to either Southwark tube or London Bridge station.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank LoHel

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here.
I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure London City Bankside very soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

I have spent 3 nights total at Mercure hotel located at Southwark Street in London. It was booked through a tour company and this hotel was a start and finish point. Therefore I have stayed in two different rooms. Although, rooms were very clean, however one is spacious and the other is very tiny, especially in the bathroom. Beds in both rooms were firm enough for me. Each room has coffee/tea maker, hair dryer, in-room safe, iron and small fridge. The availability for free wireless internet is only in the lobby. There is The Loft Bar inside the hotel. Buffet breakfasts were abundant and delicious. There is Marks & Spencer Simply Food store right cross the street for your convenience. The hotel provides free umbrellas for those who are not used to the London weather. The hotel staffs were very friendly and helpful. They can help you with airline online check-in and print out e-ticket for you, very convenient for those having earlier departure flight.

I went to the hotel through Jubilee line and came out from Southwark station; from there I walked about 10 minutes to the hotel. It was not too bad to manage even though I had to drag my luggage. I got out the station around 1pm on Sunday and there was not much traffic going on in that area.

As for sightseeing, the location of the hotel is very convenient with walking distance from the Shakespeare’s Globe Theater, the Tate Modern, Millennium Bridge and London Bridge…

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank JaneJ2010
Reviewed 13 August 2011

My friend and I spent a further day here. We have used it as a base for daytime visits to London. There is a £65 rate for use from 09.00 to 17.00 which is fine for a visit not involving overnight. This time we had room 401 (which looked like 201 which we had last time). There was a large double bed and table/desk. The room was quite small. The wardrobe had iron and ironing board. The bathroom had a shower over the bath. It took several attempts to work out how it functioned. I was interested to see that washcloths were provided which is not usual, in my experience, in Mercure chain hotels. A welcome addition

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple