“Almost died of shock”

Mercure London Bridge
Ranked #308 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Booked this hotel for a 5 day business stay from Australia starting 8th September as its close to the office and it looked quite nice on the internet. What a shock, what a tired dump-arrived early and had pre arranged early check in, Bazil Faulty on the desk didnt have a record of this but they found a room-I reckon the worst in the place. Took my bags up, dirty, dusty, sad old bathroom, grubby old couch. I went straight back to reception and handed back the key and moved to another hotel-much nicer and about the same price. As a parting gesture they charged me for one night then sent an email thanking me for staying and please come back soon-not in my lifetime. My company has this place as a preferred hotel in London, I will be strongly recommending they get rid of it

4  Thank AndrewMSydney
Mercure-Bankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations, especially knowing you only gave us ten minutes of your time. The way you are treating our team member is "shocking", using your own word.
Certainly doesn't seems to be matching other guests feedback.
Florian Jourdhier

Write a ReviewReviews (2,063)

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Business trip to London. Impressed by Bankside location,( close to Thames, Globe Theatre, Tate Modern) cleanliness and helpful staff, modern, understated room. My colleague and I were accompanied by our main client, a man used to the finest hotels, who said he would definitely stay here again. Best for business clients, probably not for romantic getaway.
Only caveat - porridge that tasted like sawdust.

Room Tip: Ask for a privilege room with more space
1  Thank karenpinker
Mercure-Bankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Karenpinker,

We love to read such positive feedbacks about Mercure London Bridge Hotel and the team is most thankful to your kind words.

Indeed our central location is a real asset. Minutes away from the Top London attraction and the City. Fantastic for business, yet excellent for Romance! Tate modern, Millenium Bridge, The Globe, Borough Market, London Bridge, Tower Bridge, Tower of London and many more outstanding views of London, just on the door step!

We also thank you for pointing out our high standard of services in all areas of the hotel. We genuinely look after our guests. Hospitality is our passion and we share it with our guests.

Looking forward to your next visit to Mercure London Bridge Hotel.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

My partner and I stayed here for four nights in August 2012. From the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who were unfailingly warm, polite and attentive, from the chambermaids up to the concierges and waiting team. Our room was well-cared-for, quiet and nicely furnishes and the location was superb. We'd stay again in an instant.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julia I

Dear Julia,
Biiiig Thank you, It is so pleasant to read such positive feedbacks as yours. Thank you so much for this!

Indeed our daily main aim is to make sure our guests are happy and we do genuinely put a lot into it to provide the highest standard of services.

I am most thankful to you for your kind words which are a true encouragement for the whole team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon at Mercure London Bridge Hotel.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed at the Mercure London Bridge Hotel for three days, every part of the stay was excellent, the cleanliness, the rooms, the facilities, the central location, and above all the services from the staff, well above the call of duty. Everyone employed at the hotel was an excellent ambassador for the company, nothing was too much trouble at any time of the day. Air conditioning was very welcome as we picked one of the hottest few days of the year.

Room Tip: The twin room was larger
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer J
Mercure-Bankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Jennifer,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m so glad you enjoyed your visit, staying with us.

My team always does its best to provide excellent service and your comments will be shared and appreciated by all.

We hope we can welcome you back to Mercure London Bridge Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Very small standard rooms. OK for one person, but very uncomfortable for a couple with 2 suitcases. No ventilation in the bathroom and no air conditioning. However, staff were very friendly and the general atmosphere was very welcoming. Breakfast was well above average. Location excellent.
I would recommend to single travellers. For couples, make sure you get a big room!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mercure-Bankside, General Manager at Mercure London Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Dear Seasonedtraveller525,
My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit.
Our Classic rooms are from 22 sqm, and our Privilege rooms are from 25sqm. To London standards we have quite large rooms!
Treat yourself to a Privilege room type during your next stay with Mercure.
Location, Location, Location, you are spot on, can't be better located!
We look forward to welcoming you back at Mercure London Bridge Hotel, in the near future. Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 September 2012

I took the offer for automatic checkin - the key and room were ready on arrival and I has been upgraded to a superior room. It was a hot day, and the room had been cooled ready for arrival. There are several restaurants and attractions near buy, but I choose the hotel restaurant - a chicken dish with peas and a potato galette was well cooked and served quickly. The wines in this restaurant do not disappoint either. I walk to St Pauls complete the evening.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front all have extra glazing - so you don't hear the traffic.
2  Thank Wraxall_Travellers

Dear Wraxall,
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Yet again another great comment about our fantastic team and service we provide. I am sure you enjoyed you stay with us and indulged with the outstanding wine selection that offers "Les Grands Vins" Mercure.
We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

I stayed here when in London for the Olympic games. I chose the hotel because the prices were quite reasonable compared to the everywhere else in London.

There were a few nice touches to the hotel. The room was a good size and had a Nespresso machine. Also, we were given a free drinks voucher on arrival.

The breakfast buffet had a selection of both english and continental dishes and was good quality freshly cooked food.

The one thing that let the hotel down was the location. Despite being called the Mercure London Bridge, it was at least 15-20 minutes walk from London Bridge station which meant a bit more planning was required to get anywhere on the train/tube

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Mcneesh,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit during the 2012 London Olympics.
Our hotel is located 650 yards from London Bridge station, no more than 5 minutes walk. Also Southwark Station, Jubilee line, is 400 yards, and the RV1 bus stop is on the hotel doorsteps taking you to Covent Gardens in 15 minutes, or London Tower Bridge in 15 minutes. Surely you have noticed how well our hotel is located.
We hope we can welcome you back to Mercure London Bridge Hotel very soon.