On first appearance this hotel is very nice. It is very modern, very clean and the staff are very smiley.
However once you deviate from the standard hello there is little customer service.
I stayed 4 nights on business. My room was very modern, not very big but had everything you want. The bathroom was tiny and had a very modern sink which did not have a plug and when you turned on the designer taps the water splashed straight out the sink and all over me and the floor. There was no bathtub just a big shower. There was no way of having a shower without the water bouncing off the bottom of the shower tray and onto the floor. If you had the shower mat on the floor you couldn't open the door and there is no room for a wash bag near the the sink.
The heat in the room was extreme. There was an air conditioning unit and you could change the temperature up or down but it didn't actually work. It seemed to stick at 22 C or above. In the night it went up to 24.5 C so it was way too hot to sleep.
I reported that my room was too hot to the busy receptionist who said he'd look into it. But as I was out all day I emailed to confirm my request. I did not get any reply to my email. When I returned to the hotel the room was baking. I telephoned reception and was told that the hotels heating system was switched on to heat and therefore could not blow cold air so I would have to open the window for 20 minutes and then close it. The hotel is on a main road so it's too noisy but I did do this. Unfortunately as soon as I did the temperature went up even higher to 24.5 C. I telephoned reception again after 20 minutes but did not get an answer. I had to go down to the Reception area. I was then given another room. The second room was slightly larger and was cooler although during the night it still got too hot to sleep. It also had the same issue with the sink and shower tray.
I was not offered any help to move room, I was not asked if I was happier in the room, I was just told to return the old room key to the reception when I'd moved. This took place at 8.30pm so not in the middle of the night.
At breakfast I was asked twice if I wanted toast but it never arrived. Also there are stairs in the restaurant - something not mentioned on their website. The fruit juice and butter and cereal is all up the stairs and the hot buffet down stairs so you have to walk up or down the stairs carrying your plate and glass. You have to figure that out for yourself as noone explains this to you.
On the 2nd day in my new room the toiletries were not replaced so I had no shampoo and just a tiny bit of shower gel left over from the previous day. I was so sick of speaking to reception I didn't bother calling down and asking for more.
On the plus side I did have room service twice and that was very good - they telephone to tell you they are on the way up which is a nice touch and the food was nice.
On checking out I was not asked if I was happy with my stay. Infact at no point are you asked if you are happy with the food, with the service, with the hotel.
You get the smiles and friendly greeting but unfortunately that's where it stops they are not interested in you as a guest and your answer is irrelevant.
I would only stay here if you don't need to sleep, have lots of patience to wait to be served, are going to take your own toiletries and are able to negotiate stairs.
A very disappointing stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure London Bridge is a flagship Mercure hotel located in the centre of London. Enjoy famous nearby attractions such as Borough Market and the Shard, whilst being surrounded by nearby shops and art galleries. On entering this charming hotel, you'll sense its unique atmosphere, making you feel at home. Every detail in the hotel has been carefully considered with your comfort in mind. Experience the hotel restaurant, Marco's New York Italian, courtesy of celebrity Chef Marco Pierre White. The hotel is suited for business hotel stays in London, as well as leisure stays, with 4 flexible meeting rooms for events or conferences for up to 60 people with AV equipment and a dedicated host. Enjoy internet access throughout the hotel. Mercure London Bridge is perfectly located for some London shopping, a cultured day out or some London sightseeing, being situated on Southwark Street, only 8 minutes from Borough Market and an 11 minute walk to London Bridge Station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Lastminute, Booking.com, Priceline, ACCOR, Ebookers, Superbreak UK, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mercure London Bridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure London City Bankside Hotel London
- Accor London City Bankside