“All front and no substance”

Mercure London Bridge
Ranked #303 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“All front and no substance”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

On first appearance this hotel is very nice. It is very modern, very clean and the staff are very smiley.

However once you deviate from the standard hello there is little customer service.

I stayed 4 nights on business. My room was very modern, not very big but had everything you want. The bathroom was tiny and had a very modern sink which did not have a plug and when you turned on the designer taps the water splashed straight out the sink and all over me and the floor. There was no bathtub just a big shower. There was no way of having a shower without the water bouncing off the bottom of the shower tray and onto the floor. If you had the shower mat on the floor you couldn't open the door and there is no room for a wash bag near the the sink.

The heat in the room was extreme. There was an air conditioning unit and you could change the temperature up or down but it didn't actually work. It seemed to stick at 22 C or above. In the night it went up to 24.5 C so it was way too hot to sleep.

I reported that my room was too hot to the busy receptionist who said he'd look into it. But as I was out all day I emailed to confirm my request. I did not get any reply to my email. When I returned to the hotel the room was baking. I telephoned reception and was told that the hotels heating system was switched on to heat and therefore could not blow cold air so I would have to open the window for 20 minutes and then close it. The hotel is on a main road so it's too noisy but I did do this. Unfortunately as soon as I did the temperature went up even higher to 24.5 C. I telephoned reception again after 20 minutes but did not get an answer. I had to go down to the Reception area. I was then given another room. The second room was slightly larger and was cooler although during the night it still got too hot to sleep. It also had the same issue with the sink and shower tray.

I was not offered any help to move room, I was not asked if I was happier in the room, I was just told to return the old room key to the reception when I'd moved. This took place at 8.30pm so not in the middle of the night.

At breakfast I was asked twice if I wanted toast but it never arrived. Also there are stairs in the restaurant - something not mentioned on their website. The fruit juice and butter and cereal is all up the stairs and the hot buffet down stairs so you have to walk up or down the stairs carrying your plate and glass. You have to figure that out for yourself as noone explains this to you.

On the 2nd day in my new room the toiletries were not replaced so I had no shampoo and just a tiny bit of shower gel left over from the previous day. I was so sick of speaking to reception I didn't bother calling down and asking for more.

On the plus side I did have room service twice and that was very good - they telephone to tell you they are on the way up which is a nice touch and the food was nice.

On checking out I was not asked if I was happy with my stay. Infact at no point are you asked if you are happy with the food, with the service, with the hotel.

You get the smiles and friendly greeting but unfortunately that's where it stops they are not interested in you as a guest and your answer is irrelevant.

I would only stay here if you don't need to sleep, have lots of patience to wait to be served, are going to take your own toiletries and are able to negotiate stairs.

A very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a cooler room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank CarolineLee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Having just returned from a weekend in London staying in the Mercure London Bridge, I had to come on and write a review to let everyone know how good this place is.

We arrived really early in the morning but the staff told us our room was available and so we were able to drop our bags off straight away in our room before heading out for the day. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The location is perfect it is only a few stops on the tube to all the main tourist attractions. We used Southwark tube station as it was only a few minutes walk from the hotel. There is also the Tate Modern Art Gallery within walking distance from the hotel.

The rooms are fab, we stayed in a super deluxe king size room which had slippers, toiletries, safe, hairdryer, iron and ironing board. The bed was huge and so comfy.

The breakfast was great. There is a buffet style breakfast where you help yourself and you can also order hot toast, eggs benedict and several other choices from the kitchen.

I had a fantastic stay in this hotel and wouldn't hesitate in staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013
Reading, England
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Spent a Sunday night here in November. The hotel was a strange adventure. The foyer is beautiful and very welcoming. However, there is no reception desk, a staff member signs you in using a tablet pc. It gives it a very informal air.
The room was small, just enough room for a double bed. But there was plenty of storage space in the small entrance corridor. The bathroom again was small but hey, how long do you spend in there? I was a bit miffed there were no toiletries offered by the hotel. I was delighted with the room, it was clean and well decorated. However, the strangest window/blind combination I have ever seen! it took me a while to work out how to close the blinds.
The bed was comfy and passed the Barganax test of a good nights sleep.
I did not use the restaurant but there are several very nice eateries just out of the door.
The receptionist told me there is a small car park and the overnight fee of £20 is not too unreasonable for that part of London, I suggest pre booking a place or arrive early?
A good location for exploring the South Bank and well placed for the tubes for further afield adventures. I a was happy to stay for a night. Perhaps the small room would be a bit much for a week plus stay?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel is fantastic! Location is good (Southwark tube is the nearest...5 mins or so walk away). Hardly any traffice could be heard- I guess you could if the windows were left open...as with any London hotel...but air-con was good, so no need to use windows!). Rooms are bright and well-equipped with everything you need...slippers, gown, refreshments, bathroom essentials etc. The bed was so comfy (had one of the best night 's sleep in a hotel!) and everything was so clean. Breakfast is a must...so much...and so tasty!

The staff were always on hand and were so polite and attentive.

I can't think of anything negative to say about this place...it is 4 star and more!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Very modern and well presented hotel.
Arrived early afternoon and met by attentive desk staff, who with a few basic details had us on our way to our room within a few minutes.
We were on the sixth floor in a newly refurbished room and have to say could find little fault with decor and cleanliness.
Furnishings somewhat lacking as with a lot of hotels these days in that despite only being there for a couple of days there is little or no clothes storage other that the hangers in the wardrobe, i.e. no shelf space for smaller items.
The lifts are somewhat on the small side with space for only three persons (without luggage).
Public areas were well laid out and comfortable, with up to date modern furnishings.
The restaurant which we used for breakfast only was split into two levels and this meant that the cold and hot buffets were split also, a little confusing on the first morning but once you have the hang of it, it doesn't cause further problems.
The breakfast was very good with a large selection of both hot and cold foods, cereals, fresh fruit etc.
The hotel is literally yards away from the Tate Modern and the South Bank, The Globe, within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants/bars around St Pauls (Ludgate Hill/Fleet Street).

Room Tip: We were in a rear facing room at the rear of the hotel. We like the window open and there was quite...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Belgrade
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have stayed here during my travel trip to London for the WTM in Excel. Hotel is located really close to the river, only 10 minutes easy walk across bridge to St Paul's cathedral. From the Airport you can take metro to Green Park and than switch to Jubilee line to the Sauthwark. Total journey is about 1.5 hours. Taxi from Excel to Hotel was around 30 pounds.
I like the lobby area. It seems like there is no reception desk, since it is melt into the interior. Staff is very pleasant and helpful. I got the room on second floor facing the street. Was nice, but sometimes i could here noise from the street. Room was clean. The only thing i did not like was all this small things, for example: the housekeeping did not take used glass from the table for entire stay. Anyway i would used it again. I do not know about the price, it seems like a little expensive, but in comparison to other hotels in London it was ok.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
bedfordshire
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Mercure London Bridge is one of my preferred hotels when staying overnight in the City it is conveniently located for a whole host of venues ... I've always thought of it as functional, a bed for the night that is, the bar used to be a bit claustrophobic and the décor a bit dated so we never really spent any time there.

This last visit was a real surprise, they have remodelled the reception, bar and restaurant areas and refurbished the rooms (great showers). What a difference! the public areas are welcoming, open, comfortable and relaxing. In fact, returning from a very pleasant evening in a restaurant we enjoyed a nightcap or three in the bar.

This hotel will continue to be at the top of my list of places to stay when in London

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com