“the worst”

Ranked #922 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“the worst”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The hotel is terrible, the pics online must have been taken 30 years ago when it was probably last maintained. The breakfast was a joke plastic ham and those rubber burger style cheese slice.
the only bearable thing was the bed was clean and comfy.
the window did not shut outside very noisy and smelly.
Overall unless you are a stag weekend please do not go.
it would be child abuse to subject a junior to this.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trysor6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Finnish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed here in February 2014 with my two sisters, a birthday trip for myself to see a show. Hotel is very worn and dated but couldn't fault the cleanliness. Reception staff very good,very helpful and friendly, breakfast staff could bear some training in hospitality and how to stay off your mobile whilst at work! We were in a triple room, three singles, one bed broke the first night when sat on but it was dealt with quickly and efficiently. The location more than made up for anything else, close to tube, Paddington, and never more than a few stops to the sights, we didn't go to London to spend time in our room so it was a more than adequate base with a clean bed to sleep in. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: front facing square
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maxine B
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Norfolk Plaza Review
Where do I begin? Ah yes…Photos can paint pretty pictures; therefore giving first time tourists to London a feeling that a restaurant, bar or indeed their main port of call, hotel, are just what they expected.
I saw the pretty pictures portraying the Norfolk Plaza; read the good reviews and thought it as my ideal place to stay two nights while in London for a soccer match.
Lovely rooms; vast bar area; clean reception.
The reception was clean and the staff friendly….so was Norman Bates! At least he made sure the showers were well attended too!
I have never been asked before to present my visa/bank card so that reception can make a copy. I gave £20 instead; which I received back on gladly leaving.
Bar; when settled in the room, I went to reception and asked was it open and told no. Later, that day, I returned and saw a light in the bar. I entered and it was still closed.
Now to the rooms; my room in particular, 110. The rooms shown on the hotel’s web site must be of another hotel or perhaps I was magically transported elsewhere. I climbed the well-worn carpeted stairs (one step had carpet repaired with nails; probable safety hazard) to an equally well-worn first floor corridor. While walking along the creaking corridor, I had an unnerving sense of disappointment. I am sure someone followed me but it was the floorboards springing back into place.
The doors leading to other rooms are drab and not saying “welcome to your room”.
Passing through two fire exit doors, I arrived outside room 110. Holding the key, I wondered ‘will I or won’t I’. I did.
I was tired from traveling and looked forward to meeting a mate later who I haven’t seen in over forty years. What the heck; unpacked and hung my clothes carefully in a dodgy wardrobe, then inspected my two day home.
First, the bathroom. I should have left!
Loose tiles around the toilet bowl; the glass shower door on the bath couldn’t open; the shower head was so filthy I’m sure I noticed something growing from inside it. The wall tile grouting was also filthy. I filled the bathroom sink to wash the grime from my hands after turning on filthy taps then watched the water take an age to drain away; it was blocked.
Paper had been stuffed in hole on the inside of the door. I should have left! (Later, I had a stand up wash at the sink. Remember those good old days?)
On closer inspection of the room and facilities, I really should have left.
The view from the windows was of another drab building; I’m sure I saw a note in an opposite window; Get out quick! Cup, saucers and electric kettle were placed pre-carelessly on a narrow shelf. The electric lead to the kettle was short. (tip; (if you are desperate to stay)take out the lead from kettle before pouring boiled water into cup)
The floorboards creaked, the walls remained thin and the bed was awful. Two single beds, hiding ripped wallpaper, were of equal quality; uncomfortable (I had a choice). The pillows disappeared and levelled out. Now the night-time fun begins. The Plaza states that no pets are allowed; I’m sure that there were elephants in the room above. The ceiling creaked and thumped for most of my stay. I reckon I had four hours sleep per night. It appeared to me that the hotel catered for homeless families looking for temporary accommodation; if so, tourist should be made aware of the fact.
I could have complained to reception but I wasn’t in the humour of moving to another possible disaster.
Breakfast; maybe I should have realised that I wouldn’t be receiving a full English or boiled egg and toast when booking. The food offered at the buffet counter was vile. I endeavoured to create my own bowl of muesli; awful, and the coffee was cold. The staff again were polite though.
This Hotel is a disaster. It is need of a full health and safety inspection because the place has gone beyond covering the cracks with paint and wallpaper. In fact, I may forward this review to the London tourism board. How they permit this three star hovel to provide accommodation is bewildering.
There has to be another Norfolk Plaza. There are 119 positives and 156 (+1) of this place. I think the positives stayed on the upper floors. How can premises be so divided with its décor and cleanliness or lack of. Do the owners actually read all the reviews or merely stick to the more favourable.
Avoid

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
12 Thank Bosspat
Lisbon
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend with my girlfriend. We are on our twenties therefore traveling on a budget so we considered this hotel because of its location/price relation. Location is in fact very good but the room smelled funny, in a bad way, when we arrived and the water in the shower was never hot enough during all weekend. The staff, although nice, didn't seem to concerned about it and I noticed other guests complaining about the same issue. In a nutshell, this is a very good area but consider another hotel, even if you have to pay a little extra.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stay here all the the time with work and I hate it, it's a horrible over priced hotel.
It has poky unclean bathrooms also very dated furnishing and the tvs are a joke 3 fuzzy channels, plus there are cockroach outside of the lower windows which puts you off having the windows open at night.

• Stayed January 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The Norfolk plaza hotel was a clean friendly hotel, a little dated ,the room we had was on the 4th floor and was serviced with a lift. I found the location excellent just a short stroll from paddington station ( on the bakerloo tube line).the breakfast was continental but for just £3.50 you could upgrade to a full English breakfast,the bar was quite cheap too considering its Central London location.i would recommend this hotel for theatre breaks as it's much cheaper than the show and stay hotels esp if you use alpha rooms ! I have given it 3 out of five but that's because I couldn't give it 3 and1/2.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Only 60 euros in the middle on London with a very pleasant service. The hotel is planning to go under renovation, which it definitely needs, but when I think about my needs: one night before a meeting just next to the Paddington station (train from Heathrow) I could not imagine anything better. My employer will be happy for this savings. Clean room, pleasant service - that is all you need for abt 10 hours you spend there.

I have spent many many nights in 5* hotels, but for this purpose this hotel was excellent - and... it did not rain in London!

Hope when you come back after renovation, the price will still be affordable - I will come back, thanks to the location and service. But not for the whole week ;-)

Looking forward to seeing what your plans are,
Riitta

Room Tip: No fitness centre and no pool - I was not looking for them either, as I was traveling in business
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business