“served me well, but needs a big overhaul”

Norfolk Plaza Hotel
Ranked #929 of 1,089 Hotels in London
North West England
“served me well, but needs a big overhaul”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Had massive reservation about staying here as the hotel I stay in around the corner was full, reading the reviews was concerned but overall I had a pleasant experience, great location for Paddington, Hyde park for my morning stroll to Oxford street and a lovely park outside, quiet outside both for pedestrians and traffics and little street noise at night. The place is in need of a serious revamp but was as clean as could be expected for a busy hotel. The rooms are plain and beds plus bedding really should be first to be upgraded, not the most comfortable but I cant complain cos I slept each night. Adequate bathroom and surprisingly hot water. I had a room on the fourth floor overlooking the park, my favorite part was the old Victorian window which could be slid up fully so you could lean out and have a good nosey around. Breakfast was hot quick to arrive and great choice. The staff were incredibly friendly, even let me stay 20 mins past check out after I came rushing back from the hospital to pack. An enjoyable stay but I would hold off on going back until it`s been revamped.

Room Tip: The floorboards creak really badly, so theres no way to get around quietly at night, and I even tho...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Finnish first
Bratislava, Slovakia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We have spent 2 night in this hotel during our London trip. We have chosen it because of location and price too. Breakfast was included and was really great!! BUT - rooms definitely need reconstruction, especially bathroom. They cleaned daily but their effort was not remarkable, because of old equipment. Staff was nice and helpful bur walls were like from paper...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

The hotel is in a good location around a 22 minute tube ride from Piccadilly were we spent the day. Nice views across a small park area, i don't really know if Paddington is a good area in London the hotels opposite had lots of groups of men hanging in the doorways smoking and shouting now and again.

On arrival we went up to the room in the lift, as a non fan of lifts having no indication of when you arrive at your floor due to the panel not working was quite scary but that's just me.

When we found the back stairs they smelt of cigarette smoke, I do smoke myself but thought this was not allowed indoors full stop, although the hotel still has no smoking and smoking floor on plaques in the hallways.

I requested a quiet room, our room was somewhat quiet. The door was opposite the lift entrance so a lot of noise from people waiting to take the lift. Does no one take notice of a sleeping sign on the door?!? However our room had two floors a lounge with stairs on the back wall leading to a large bedroom and bathroom so once upstairs the noise was hardly noticeable.

The room was shabby but adequate. It could do with some updating and modernising, maybe the size of the large sash windows requiring huge curtains takes up all their budget! The bed had sheets and a blanket, god i hate this you get all tangled in the night! The TV had 2 channels and the rest catered to other nationalities. The TV in the lounge did not really work, not good if you are traveling alone or with children and don't really fancy going out after dark.

Breakfast was edible, the usual mushrooms from a tin, bacon, i often wonder how they cook this to make it so greasy spoon cafe looking?!? One sausage, a mound of beans of course as they are cheap with two eggs on top, why do they do that :) ? and some toast which arrived cold after breakfast was finished. My 12 year old had a small nibble from everything and didn't like it so had cereal and the cold toast. Breakfast is not made to order and if i had been asked i could have saved them the money on the tomatoes and mushrooms as i don't eat these. The room service menu offers you a choice and even different egg options.

The staff were very nice, probably not enough on, for half term, at breakfast as they were rushing about and hence forgot the toast.

As a hotel booked through Superbreaks with Ripleys tickets the total was £86.00. Ripleys would have cost me around £40.00 for my son and i therefore a hotel in London for £46.00 is a bargain. I would not pay the 100 + pounds as per the room rates displayed on the wall by the hotel.

Room Tip: On arrival the customer in front of me was requesting a room change. Our room was okay i guess floor...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kazzie-Jayne
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

The hotel is terrible, the pics online must have been taken 30 years ago when it was probably last maintained. The breakfast was a joke plastic ham and those rubber burger style cheese slice.
the only bearable thing was the bed was clean and comfy.
the window did not shut outside very noisy and smelly.
Overall unless you are a stag weekend please do not go.
it would be child abuse to subject a junior to this.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trysor6
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed here in February 2014 with my two sisters, a birthday trip for myself to see a show. Hotel is very worn and dated but couldn't fault the cleanliness. Reception staff very good,very helpful and friendly, breakfast staff could bear some training in hospitality and how to stay off your mobile whilst at work! We were in a triple room, three singles, one bed broke the first night when sat on but it was dealt with quickly and efficiently. The location more than made up for anything else, close to tube, Paddington, and never more than a few stops to the sights, we didn't go to London to spend time in our room so it was a more than adequate base with a clean bed to sleep in. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: front facing square
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maxine B
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Norfolk Plaza Review
Where do I begin? Ah yes…Photos can paint pretty pictures; therefore giving first time tourists to London a feeling that a restaurant, bar or indeed their main port of call, hotel, are just what they expected.
I saw the pretty pictures portraying the Norfolk Plaza; read the good reviews and thought it as my ideal place to stay two nights while in London for a soccer match.
Lovely rooms; vast bar area; clean reception.
The reception was clean and the staff friendly….so was Norman Bates! At least he made sure the showers were well attended too!
I have never been asked before to present my visa/bank card so that reception can make a copy. I gave £20 instead; which I received back on gladly leaving.
Bar; when settled in the room, I went to reception and asked was it open and told no. Later, that day, I returned and saw a light in the bar. I entered and it was still closed.
Now to the rooms; my room in particular, 110. The rooms shown on the hotel’s web site must be of another hotel or perhaps I was magically transported elsewhere. I climbed the well-worn carpeted stairs (one step had carpet repaired with nails; probable safety hazard) to an equally well-worn first floor corridor. While walking along the creaking corridor, I had an unnerving sense of disappointment. I am sure someone followed me but it was the floorboards springing back into place.
The doors leading to other rooms are drab and not saying “welcome to your room”.
Passing through two fire exit doors, I arrived outside room 110. Holding the key, I wondered ‘will I or won’t I’. I did.
I was tired from traveling and looked forward to meeting a mate later who I haven’t seen in over forty years. What the heck; unpacked and hung my clothes carefully in a dodgy wardrobe, then inspected my two day home.
First, the bathroom. I should have left!
Loose tiles around the toilet bowl; the glass shower door on the bath couldn’t open; the shower head was so filthy I’m sure I noticed something growing from inside it. The wall tile grouting was also filthy. I filled the bathroom sink to wash the grime from my hands after turning on filthy taps then watched the water take an age to drain away; it was blocked.
Paper had been stuffed in hole on the inside of the door. I should have left! (Later, I had a stand up wash at the sink. Remember those good old days?)
On closer inspection of the room and facilities, I really should have left.
The view from the windows was of another drab building; I’m sure I saw a note in an opposite window; Get out quick! Cup, saucers and electric kettle were placed pre-carelessly on a narrow shelf. The electric lead to the kettle was short. (tip; (if you are desperate to stay)take out the lead from kettle before pouring boiled water into cup)
The floorboards creaked, the walls remained thin and the bed was awful. Two single beds, hiding ripped wallpaper, were of equal quality; uncomfortable (I had a choice). The pillows disappeared and levelled out. Now the night-time fun begins. The Plaza states that no pets are allowed; I’m sure that there were elephants in the room above. The ceiling creaked and thumped for most of my stay. I reckon I had four hours sleep per night. It appeared to me that the hotel catered for homeless families looking for temporary accommodation; if so, tourist should be made aware of the fact.
I could have complained to reception but I wasn’t in the humour of moving to another possible disaster.
Breakfast; maybe I should have realised that I wouldn’t be receiving a full English or boiled egg and toast when booking. The food offered at the buffet counter was vile. I endeavoured to create my own bowl of muesli; awful, and the coffee was cold. The staff again were polite though.
This Hotel is a disaster. It is need of a full health and safety inspection because the place has gone beyond covering the cracks with paint and wallpaper. In fact, I may forward this review to the London tourism board. How they permit this three star hovel to provide accommodation is bewildering.
There has to be another Norfolk Plaza. There are 119 positives and 156 (+1) of this place. I think the positives stayed on the upper floors. How can premises be so divided with its décor and cleanliness or lack of. Do the owners actually read all the reviews or merely stick to the more favourable.
Avoid

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
12 Thank Bosspat
Lisbon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend with my girlfriend. We are on our twenties therefore traveling on a budget so we considered this hotel because of its location/price relation. Location is in fact very good but the room smelled funny, in a bad way, when we arrived and the water in the shower was never hot enough during all weekend. The staff, although nice, didn't seem to concerned about it and I noticed other guests complaining about the same issue. In a nutshell, this is a very good area but consider another hotel, even if you have to pay a little extra.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple