“Quiet location”

Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury
Ranked #401 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 November 2013

A two night stay on arrival in London and would stay here again. Good location, quiet and the staff were helpful. Reception upgraded our room and so our room was very comfortable and spacious. No free internet but as we were going to be in England/Scotland we bought a month programme which gave us unlimited calls, texts and data. Breakfast was very good and was included in the price of our room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've stayed here on business many times. Whether I would opt to pay to stay here myself is debatable, but its location is second to none. The rooms are comfortable but you can't open the windows so it's either too cold with air conditioning or too hot. My Goverment rate included breakfast, but don't choose to pay for it as there is a nice new Pret just around the corner.
Travel tip - walk to Covent Garden - don't take the tube. Walk through Russell Square Gardens to the British Museum in just 5 minutes.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear LumCardiff,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I’ve written a few reviews about this place. The good and the bad. We went there again. It’s a great location on the tube to Chinatown, Theatre District, Covent Garden and St. Pancras – so it’s hard to give up on this one. We often walk on nice days, or take a short cab ride after theatre if someone doesn’t want to use the tube.

For some reason Holiday Inn gave me a gold elite card (maybe they miss me), so we were given a room on the nicer 5th floor. Everything was fine. Furniture and bed good, ample size TV, enough storage space and room safe. Toiletries satisfactory and towels fluffy. Comfortable place.

Breakfast was included, so instead to slumming at Pret a Manger across from the Russell Square tube station, we ate at the hotel. I must say it was one of the best hotel buffet breakfasts I’ve had in a long time. Fresh fried eggs, perfect English bacon, sautéed fresh mushrooms. All surprisingly good. The buffet was manned by a young black man who always had a greeting for you and a smile. It was a joy to see him there. He cooked the eggs and made sure that the buffet was attractively arranged. If there is an employee reward system at this hotel, I hope he will get some recognition. He was one of the gems of the hotel. There were also the normal breads, toast cereal, cold cuts and juice. Also a good selection of fruits including fresh grapefruit sections.

The other chap at the hotel worth mentioning was Gary the concierge. Absolutely first rate guy who would anticipate your needs and seemed to actually seek out people who needed help. I remember him from before. Very professional and serious about his work. If you need help, Gary will take care of it for you. He is another person that the hotel should not overlook in its reward programme.

In fact, the entire staff was well mannered, polite and helpful. Well done Holiday Inn.
Now what I didn’t like. There was a lot of confusion about the wi-fi. Normally not free, some or all of it was free for golden elite. But not everyone knew about it. I was told that non-broad band wi-fi was free for me (whatever that is), but there was a charge for the broad band. I looked for the “free” hook up and couldn’t find it, but the front desk told me that even the broad band was free for people in my status. However, when trying to log on, there was never a free option. In the end the desk placed a charge of 25UKP against my room for two days and then immediately cancelled the charge. In the end it worked and was free, but I wonder how many people are paying for wi-fi at this place when it should be free? Why not make it free for everybody? The budget hotels charging much less for rooms offer it for free.

The other very irritating issue is the hotel controlling access to the temperate control in the room. The “System” has pre-determined on/off periods that prevent the occupant to controlling the room temperature or fan during the night. I experienced this not only at this Holiday Inn, but also at others in the London area. Sounds like a conspiracy to save money to me. When I ask about access, I get some mumbling about the engineer will look at it the next morning at which time I am taken off the system. Don’t like it. So this time, I made sure that I was taken off the “System” when I checked in and the problem went away. I got some dumb looks like the “System” didn’t exist, but after grilling the man enough; he coughed up a confession. So if you use this place, make sure you address this when you check in.

So, of course I would always go back. Good location, great staff, nice breakfast and it’s one of the few that gives a US Government/Military rate. And now that I know how the wi-fi and temperature control game is played, I can’t find any fault with the place.

Room Tip: Make sure that you have 24 hour access to your rooms temparature/fan control
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Mr G,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments about Gary and Emmanuel. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered during your stay with us. Please be assured that your comments have been passed on to the relevant Heads of Departments to follow up. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed for 4 nights on business and therefore was a litlle surprised that for the room price, it does not include free Internet. The service at the front desk was very efficient. The breakfast spread was real value for money. I had no other meals there since the proximity to Brunswick shoppoing centre also provided additional eating places. The room was rather tight and compact and kept clean to a high standard with facilities for making hot drinks. There is no bottled water. It is a popular place for work conferences and all in all considering the central location of the hotel, I would recommend it, but not for those looking for budget prices.

Room Tip: Room facing the Brunswick shopping centre was surprisingly quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. While we understand your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Thank you again for your your comments.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed there the other weekend. Very expensive and £20.00 for breakfast so didn't bother. Booked it for the location. I am very surprised that it was charging £16/day for an internet connection. This should be a standard nowadays. Was in Iceland last month and stayed in 6 different locations from large airport hotels to small B & Bs. All had free internet. It's time they moved into the 21st century.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Iain B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us and give us your feedback.

All feedback is taken seriously and noted for future developments within the hotel.

As a small note, for our IHG Reward Elite members, we do offer complimentary standard access wifi.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel for one night for myself and a friend. I booked an Executive Twin but on check in they informed me due to an error I had been allocated a standard twin. It was only for one night and we didn't intend spending too much time in the room anyway so this was ok. Especially as the receptionist was so apologetic and clearly trying his best to make up - he gave me and my friend a complementary breakfast (we'd booked room only) and offered me a voucher for a drink or extra club points. All in all great service.

The hotel itself is typical of Holiday Inn. What you see is what you get always a high standard and cosmetically decorated in a modern vibrant style. We were told that we had been given one of the largest rooms in the hotel to compensate for the mix up over the room booking but have to say if this was one of the largest room I would hate to stay in a small room!! But that said it was comfortable enough and as I said earlier we didn't intend spending much time in the room anyway.

Breakfast on Sunday was nice enough. Again the staff were friendly and welcoming. But had obviously never heard of boiled eggs!!!! Let me explain. The breakfast offering was the usual self service buffet. All very fresh and tasty but the "menu" on the table said if you would like boiled or poached eggs or an omelette simply ask your server. So I did. I asked for boiled eggs at first the lovely waitress looked blankly so I asked again and she obviously did not understand. So she got the chef out of the kitchen. This is where I was surprised. I asked the chef and after a bit of a conversation (you could swear I was asking for a complicated dish!) he asked how would I like the eggs cooked. So I replied medium soft. To which he responded "is that hard boiled" so again I said no medium soft so the whites are solid but the yolks "runny". After a delay the eggs arrived. No egg cups just two very hot eggs I their shells in a bowl. I managed with dexterity to break into one without burning my fingers and found it was quite possibly the hardest egg I have ever had!! If they can't boil and serve an egg properly I am so glad we didn't eat in the night before. All that said this is a minor and comical point and overall the breakfast service was great!!

Check out again was speedy efficient and friendly.

The hotel is well located and close to all the amenities of the West End.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered during breakfast. I would like to assure you that your comments have been passed on to the chef to investigate further and follow up. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel for five days in October 2013.
The location is good and need the Russel Square tube station. That is an important point for the hotel. The breakfast was also good with very friendly staff; what else shall I add in terms of positive points? I guess that is all.
The rooms are expensive for the overall service you get; the carpet is dated and smells. The minibar is not existing! What?
I asked the front desk about its whereabouts but they said that it is only available in executive rooms!
The WiFi is only available if you pay £5 per hour. That is really bad especially when you know that 3G or 4G is very bad in London as far as you buy a mobile telephone SIM card of the (pay as you go) type. If you wanna stay connected, you will suffer.
The sheets where not as clean as I thought. I noticed human hair on the pillows upon my arrival and the sheets where a bit yellow. I guess that was because they were not changed! Maybe!!
The toiletries were very basic. Only a small bar of soap and one tube of shampoo, body lotion etc.
I am disappointed for paying £250 per night for such (basic) service.
I am not sure that I am gonna stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Haidarali
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Dear Haidarali,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. It is only through such feedback that we can continually improve our service and product.

I am very sorry that during your stay with us you did not experience our usual high level of service.

At this point I would like to reassure you that all our bed linen is freshly laundered and fresh, clean sheets are put on each bed for each new guest arrival.

As a point of reference, complimentary wifi is available to our IHG Rewards Elite members.

We have sent you a private message in order that we can gather some more information about your stay and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards