“Average ”

Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury
Ranked #386 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“Average ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on Saturday 18th jan 2014 with my husband and seven year old son on his first trip to London we were checked in by Gary who took the time to interact with Ben (my son) and he felt very grown up which was nice we were put in room 233 as it had a better view Gary informed us than the original room we were allocated all very well off we went to our room , the rooms are pretty basic and nice enough quite small for a family room (we stayed in holiday inn Dunstable the evening before and the room was a lot more roomy) but we were only there a night , we had booked the room through reward points and were told reward points didn't include breakfast so had to pay separately for that which annoyed me Bens was free so there was something , the breakfast was lovely though loads if choice gorgeous pastries yum yum
After a day sight seeing Ben was tired so we ate in the restaurant that nice I had steak and it was lovely cooked to perfection and presented excellently the food is very good and again Ben ate free which was a lovely bonus
Wifi very expensive it really should be free wifi for all guests you get free wifi in b&b s these days there is no excuse for not giving guests access (also free in holiday inn Dunstable the previous evening so why not standard thorough the chain )
As I said before we got the room through reward points but the room rate displayed in reception was in excess if £400 really there is not a chance that I would ever pay that for a room here - not for such small rooms I doubt anyone actually pays that
We were also woken up on Sunday morning by the fire alarm and spent a good half an hour outside in our pjs obviously not the hotels fault but there seems to be a theme reading other reviews
So in summary food excellent , staff friendly , rooms small , wifi expensive , location good but I wouldn't go back with a room rate of £400

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Wrenchythree
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Kind regards,
Matthew Beard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

For the second year running we have just enjoyed a few days stay at this Holiday Inn. By booking early we got a good deal on the B&B rates. This is a very conveniently situated Hotel providing comfortable rooms and beds and I would certainly be happy to recommend it from that point of view. The breakfasts were fine - not outstanding - but tasty, served in a well organised fashion and certainly sufficient in quantity to set you up for a day exploring the highlights of London. The most striking aspect of our stay however, was the staff. Most were not English - though one or two were, this time around - but without exception all were pleasant, polite and helpful. Despite some duress - there were some refurbishments going on whilst we were there (hardly noticeable) and we had a fire alarm before breakfast on our final day of stay which was efficiently dealt with and appeared to have little impact on their ability to serve all of their breakfasts in timely fashion. They give the impression of a group a staff treated well by their employer and happy to provide a service to their clientelle. We have had similar experience of Holidays Inns outside of the UK. I do hope that the overall organisation really does value its staff as much one would assume from service provided! Certainly recommended!

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed 2 nights Jan 2014 with my wife

Hotel very well located, very near to Russell Square underground station.
Room excellent with all the facilities you would expect for the standard hotel indicated
Breakfast excellent with many choices both hot and cold.
Small bar well stocked. Had an evening meal with my wife on both days .Although the menu was not extensive the food was well prepared and served with great efficiency.
All the staff my wife and I had dealings with were very polite and helpful with any enquires.
Would recommend this hotel on the basis of our experience

Versoix, GE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I booked a room here for an overnight with my husband and daughter. Upon check-in, we were offered a small room, or wait for a larger room. We opted to wait. Upon our return 10 hours later, we had a very decent sized room (though the metal tissues box wallmount fell off the wall in the bathroom every time we shut the hall door) with a pull out sofa, but there were no sheets.We asked the sofabed be made while we went out to dinner, which they did. At 7:20 AM the next morning (a Sunday, I might add) we got a knock on the door asking if we had ordered a extra bed - we hadn't because we had the sofa already!! A hour later, the fire alarm went off, for no reason, for a full 5 minutes. It blasted back on another two times in the next 20 minutes. Perhaps their way of ensuring all guest check out in time?? Upon check-out, instead of explaining or excusing themselves, they informed us we had an extra GBP30 charge. When my husband asked "What on earth for?" they quickly decided to drop it. ?!?!?
NOTE: There is NO "FREE" WIFI in the hotel - there is expensive wifi and four computers in the lobby for guests to use. If you want free wifi, go to the Pret A Manger around the corner.

Room Tip: Elevator call buttons are loud so ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EBlitz
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during this time. I would like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so I have sent you a private message. I trust we can regain your confidence in the Holiday Inn London - Bloomsbury soon.

Kind regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

The saving grace of this hotel is location, being on the door step of the tube and very close to nice restaurants, there is nothing else much to commend it. The room I stayed in was tiny; barely room to walk around a double bed, bedside table on one side only because it was so small. It was also slightly grubby in places. I think that £5 for one hour's wifi use is also a rip off; this shows disdain for the customer and treating the customer as a cash cow, in an age when most other hotels, cafés, restaurants etc offer it as a free service. I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TheBristolJohns
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London - Bloomsbury. We take our guests comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you received quality which was unacceptable. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more details about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Kind regards,
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here just prior to starting a contiki tour. Recommended instead of staying at the awful royal national hotel beforehand, as it's just around the corner.

Room was very comfortable and room service was great (I had dinner twice). A full breakfast is served downstairs which was pretty good.

The concierge was very helpful and organised big bus tours for me and even currency exchange. I'd stay here again for sure.

Booked on Expedia and got a very good discount.

Only complaint is the noise from there hallway and rooms next door can be heard quite clearly. One night I had a very noisy neighbour banging on his door at 3am, cursing and carrying on.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Belper, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here in January 2014. We stayed in an executive room on floor 6. I can't comment on value for money as we won the nights accomodation as part of a competition, but I will say that I found the hotel comfortable and clean. I had a good nights sleep, my partner not so much as the fridge (I think) kept him awake as it kept making noises, but he really should've unplugged it or something. The staff were really friendly and welcoming, special mention to the receptionist, (Carlos I think) who was lovely. Breakfast was fantastic and again all the staff on duty were really friendly and helpful. Location is great, the only thing I didn't like were the views outside our window - an incinerator. But all in all a fantastic stay.