“Dreadful bed quality, poor sleep and poor service”

Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury
Ranked #387 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Dreadful bed quality, poor sleep and poor service”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I last stayed and reviewed this hotel in January 2014. On that occasion I had a dreadful nights sleep disturbed by noise. The hotel offered me a complimentary night stay to make up for the inconvenience I had encountered, however on several attempts to book in for my complimentary night I was told that I couldn't have the dates I had requested......in the end I gave up.
So when travelling back from holiday I thought I would give the Holiday Inn another go (paid) to see whether things had improved. They have not.
We arrived at 11.15pm after over 12 hours travelling to be given room 531. After getting up to our room, showering, unpacking and getting ready for a good nights sleep we encountered the comedy beds. The mattresses on both beds had springs on one side which had lost all their support. This was the side which people naturally sit on to watch the TV, dress etc but when you lay on the bed the sagging springs caused you to roll off the mattress. The only way to stay on the bed was to cling to the non-sagging side of the bed. Couple this with slamming doors throughout the night and once again we didn't have a good nights sleep.
When we checked out the next day our receptionist asked whether we had had a good stay. When I said we hadn't and explained the problem she went to fetch a Duty Manager. After about 5 minutes a man in a chefs jacket came to reception. He didn't introduce himself but just stood next to me. In the end I asked him whether he was the Duty Manager, which he was. I explained the problem again to which he looked puzzled and said he would have to find someone else. He disappeared into the back office and reappeared this time with the Front of House Manager. At this point the Duty Manager walked off. So now I explained all over again, this time to the Front of House Manager what the problem had been. To say that he was disinterested was the understatement of the year. When I asked him whether, having raised this issue they would not put other guests into this room until they had sorted the problem he grew quite sharp in tone and said that undoubtedly people were sorting the problem as we spoke. I can only sympathise with whoever got Room 531 that night as I doubt whether anything was done to replace the mattresses. He even took my email address and said he would update me on what they had done to sort the problem. Needless to say I am still waiting.
In the end he said he would refund us the cost of our breakfast. WHY??? There had not been anything wrong with our breakfast. So he took off £18 from our bill. Quite how he arrived at this figure is also a mystery as breakfast is £16.95 per person at the hotel. Had we stayed in a Premiere Inn we would have been refunded the cost of our room under their Good Night Guarantee. At least they have confidence in their product.
So, Holiday Inn Bloomsbury, once again you prove you are the bottom of the pile for a good nights sleep, service and quality. Obviously there is no quality checking on bed condition as part of the routine cleaning of the room and I can only assume they are more interested in taking the money than offering quality. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
2 Thank YorksRob
GMofHotel, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear YorksRob

I am so sorry to read your review, we normally get such great feedback regarding our hotel.

We have let you down and not dealt with it very well at all once you have presented us with the problem. We should have resolved this a lot better.

I really would like to welcome you back for stay and really look after you, it is so important that you have a great impression of not only our hotel but of Holiday Inn.

Could you contact me at matthew.beard@ihg.com as soon as possible so we can discuss it further.

I do look forward to speaking to you very soon.

Kind regards,

Matthew Beard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Rooms are a bit small, but the staff was very attentive.
The restaurant was just ok for dinner,but they have a fairly good breakfast.
The best part of this hotel is the location- it is near shopping, transportation and plenty of eating choices.
I would stay here again mainly for the location. Otherwise the hotel is average for London.

Room Tip: Ask for a twin bed room, they are larger.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michele B
hibl00msbury, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and for your constructive feedback. I am pleased to read you found the location good for visiting all local attractions, the hotel is situated perfectly for this. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn London - Bloomsbury should your travels bring you back to London.

Kind regards,

Matthew Beard
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Another weekend in another Holiday Inn! Friendly and relatively speedy check in. Room comfortable and clean. Hotel is a great location close to Russell Square Tube but within easy walking distance of Kings Cross, Euston or St Pancras. Easy walk to Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Street etc.
Quiet hotel and would return. We didn't use the restaurant but it looked quite nice! We didn't take breakfast in the hotel because, as always, you can get a better and cheaper breakfast a few hundred yards round the corner! The bar staff were efficient and friendly.
In our Queen bedded executive room there was air conditioning and water supplied as well as usual tea/coffee making facilities. As club members we were given Club biscuits when checking in......not sure what the point was.......and a 50% discount of one first drink in the restaurant. The room had just one robe and slippers which seemed a little inadequate for a room for two!

However, we had some quiet nights and enjoyed the location of the hotel and friendliness of the staff.

Tip: Within a few hundred yards of this hotel is the Brunswick Centre..... There are shops and some great places for breakfast. Breakfast for two in these places will likely cost less than a single breakfast in a hotel. We tried Giraffe, Carlucios and Patisserie Valerie........all great for breakfast we found.

Guisborough
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel again for our wedding anniversary on a Superbreak package so we got breakfast in with the rate. The breakfast was fine if a little crowded in the restaurant but it was peak holiday time. It's a good place from which to access central London yet still stay in a relatively quiet spot but still have all the necessary shops and other facilities close at hand in the shopping centre adjacent to the hotel, i.e. Waitrose, chemists, restaurants, cafes, cash machine, newsagents, post office and even a hardware shop! The No 91 bus which passes the end of the road goes to Trafalgar Square which of course is within a short walking distance to Leicester Square, Piccadilly, Chinatown and Soho. The Russell Square tube station is just behind the hotel and gives a direct line to Kings Cross and Oxford Circus.
The room is typical Holiday Inn although the bathroom is small but then you don't go to London to live in the bathroom. I had the misfortune to suffer a split lip in an incident in the town and the night manager went out of his way to provide me with ice brought to the room to help reduce the swelling and couldn't do enough to help me. Mention must also be made of the excellent service provided by the desk staff, the concierge and Aleksandra behind the bar. All in all a Hotel with excellent service.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My partner and I decided to book a last minute weekend to London. I booked this hotel as I have always enjoyed staying in Holiday Inns and the room was a reasonable price compared to other hotels in the city. I had read mixed reviews on here but decided to go ahead as I have only had good experiences with Holiday Inns before. Upon arrival at hotel we dropped our bags off which were placed in the luggage store and then went to explore. We returned just after 2pm for check inn as advised by the hotel. Upon checking in we were told our room was not ready but we were given free drinks vouchers and told to relax in the bar. They told us someone would come and shout us when it was ready. They advised it should be no more than half an hour. We were quite pleased with the free drinks vouchers and went to the bar. Unfortunately at the bar, it took ages to get the drinks we asked for. My partner asked for a bitter shandy. The lady behind the bar put cider into a beer glad followed by like cordial. My partner tried to tell her that she had used cider instead of bitter. She understood and went to use the correct bar tap. She then continued putting lime cordial in with it. My partner told her a bitter shandy has lemonade and she insisted that the cordial was lemonade. My partner said it wasn't and she walked off and had to get someone else to serve us. He arrived and we got our drinks finally. We sat down and waited for 50 minutes. No one came to collect us to say our room was ready. I went up to reception again to ask and they said it was, but no one had came to tell us. We got our room keys and went to collect our bag from the luggage hold. We handed our ticket over to the concierge who went and checked. He emerged 2 mins later asking us what our case looked like. We were quite worried by this but he did locate it in the end. We went to our room and it was smaller than expected but I didn't mind as it is a busy London hotel. I took my shoes off only to find the carpet was wet. I looked down and there was a large wet patch on the floor, covering the main part
of the room where we would be
walking. I rang reception and explained and they said they would send someone up to look at it. A member of housekeeping came in and felt the floor... He said that someone had obviously used too much water on it. He then dried it with a hairdryer. Even though it was dry, the outline was still there the next morning so I am not convinced it was all water. When we checked out we got asked how our stay was. We told them about some of the issues and we got a 'sorry' before paying the bill. I am quite disappointed with this particular stay. It's a shame because it's in a fab location so could be a brilliant hotel. It's 2 minutes from the underground and a tesco express. It took us only a 15 min walk to get to covent garden, which is a straight route and it's so easy to get to from Euston station. The breakfast was also good. Unfortunately on this occasion the room and the service were just not as good as I expected.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Charlotteruss
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Charlotteruss,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I am pleased that the breakfast served during your stay lived up to your expectations. On the other hand, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the housekeeping services may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Warm and friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms and a good breakfast; all you need from a London hotel.
My advise book a twin room - our teenage children had a significantly larger twin room than our double! plus they loved the 'cook your own pancakes' choice for breakfast, one of a wide range of items on offer in the self service restaurant,

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel, good twin room, clean, comfortable, quiet. Tea making facilities, no fridge. Free toiletries. Daily room service. Excellent breakfast. Staff efficient, friendly and helpful. Good location. 10 minutes walk to Kings Cross. Few minutes to Russell Square underground station.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family