“Nice hotel”

Prince William Hotel
Ranked #871 of 1,077 Hotels in London
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

Small and old, but a nice hotel when you just need a place to sleep. Staff was helpfull and friendly. Breakfast was boring, but ok. Elevator was small, but working. My children said the beds were good, my bag hurt, but just becauce the madras was to soft. We would stay there again.

Reviewed 22 November 2012

After reading all the 'never again' reviews, we decided to take our chances and book with this hotel. My partner and I aren't really fussy folk. We don't mind older places, bit run down so long as you can sleep, shower and the location is convenient. And this is kind of what this place offers (except I will say that the beds are probably the most uncomfortable beds I have ever experienced). The bed mattresses have no cushion in them whatsoever - you will feel the springs digging into your back. We had twin beds but my husband's bed was much better so maybe it's not every bed that is this bad. What I did though was put some spare blankets underneath to give myself a bit more cushion and that did the job. Slept much better after that.

On the plus side...the location is pretty good to get to and from the main attractions. The hotel is near Hyde Park which offers a great running track if you want some exercise in the morning, which was just such a nice thing to do. There is also an elevator (albeit small and slow) but at least it's got one. And there is complimentary breakfast downstairs. Everything you need - toast with butter, jam, orange/apple juice, coffee, tea. And the hotel is run by many Indians who were quite friendly and helpful we thought. And there's also free high speed wireless internet you can use in the lobby if you have an ipad, laptop, which is fantastic cause the Hilton in Amsterdam charged 15 euros for like one hour! So I would recommend this hotel as it's got some good perks on the proviso that you are not that fussed about certain things.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank liennypoo
Reviewed 18 November 2012

My room number was 45, located on the 4th floor. We stayed in this room for three nights. I book this room because of the price and location. Although most reviews say the hotel is not satisfactory, but I still book a room at this hotel because of its location and budget. With a heart full of doubt, we stepped into the hotel (entrance in Craven Road, not Gloucester Terrace) and we found the hotel lobby was clean, decorated and well-organized. They asked for a deposit 20pound for two people even the room was paid in full (we booked this hotel via olotel.com, please have your printed booking confirmation and payment confirmation with you). Size double room is OK, clean and fragrant (yes its smell good when you enter the room). Room were cleaned every day. Shower room and toilet are clean and have hot water. Only on our last day, the hot water was available late and we had to shower with cold water.

Bed throws were ugly (we fold them and keep in the cupboard and dont want to look at it) but the bed sheet was white clean. Internet is available for free in the hotel lobby only. Towels and basic amenities were provided. Kettle and complimentary tea and sugar and two glasses also provided in the room. TV and local television channels were also available.

It just, the walls are not soundproof, you can hear your neighbor talking and walking in the next room. Iron bed and spring mattress just like in a hostel, less comfortable but we were able to sleep soundly because we were tired. Like other hotels, it’s better to keep all personal belonging in a locked luggage. My wife lost her brand new body lotion; luckily all our valuables were kept in the locked luggage.

For us, the hotel and the room is quite appropriate to its price. Breakfast (bread, jam, butter, cereal, milk, coffee, tea, and juice) was ok, the dining area was clean and well-organized. Anyway, if you want luxury and have better budget, please check in to the Hilton hotel nearby.

Room Tip: Please ask for room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jengka7
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Good only if you're looking for a cheap place where to sleep and keep your things in central London.
Rooms are tiny, old, essential in furniture. No hairdryer. Bed uncomfortable, and noisy. My room was next to the elevator and the door would not close shut. I could hear people talking in the corridors all the time. I had no lavatory in my room only shower and a sink!
Poor breakfast. There's not even fresh fruit.
The hotel staff could hardly understand what I was saying and the Russian lady at the front desk welcomed me with a: "Can you please wait in the lounge? I will call you", like I was at the doctor or something.
Not really what I expected.

Room Tip: Ask for a room anywhere far from the elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank LilacLMNT
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is a nice place for if you're only here to sleep.
The rooms are simple, small bathroom, the breakfast is simple, but eatable.

the people from the reception are friendly.

don't go here if you only want luxury.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The hotel was fine - not great, but adequate considering the price. The absolutel best thing about the hotel was the location. It's less than 5 minutes walk to Paddington Station, which will get you easily to most of the major tourist spots in London. It's also minutes from Hyde Park and close to many restaurants and a number of small grocery/convenience stores.
The room was fairly small and the beds were not terribly comfortable but were fine for the few days we were there. The room was clean and the bathroom had been partially refinished (new tile, toilet and sink) and was small but clean. There was no air conditioning, and our room overlooked a busy street so it was a bit noisy at night. All of these things should be considered if you're planning to stay here. But for the low price, we could endure these things. The elevator was small but adequate (large enough for 2 people and 2 suitcases). Breakfast was in an incredibly hot, cramped room in the basement and consisted of cereal, toast coffee/tea and warm juice. We tried it once, but chose to get something at a nearby grocery store the other days. Again, if you're expecting a great breakfast for your money, this isn't the place for you.
The staff were friendly and helpful and they happily stored our luggage in a locked room until our room was ready. We had prepaid the room, but they did ask for a 10 pound "deposit" which was put on our credit card as a hold. I had no problem with this and it was never actually taken off our card at the end of our trip.
Overall, this was a very basic hotel - small, a bit dingy (needing some updating - particularly in the common areas) but the room was clean and adequate for the short period of time we spent there each day. However, if you expect any kind of luxury, this is not the hotel for you. If you're on a tight budget but looking for something more private than a hostel, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LK P
Reviewed 10 August 2012

we saw the pics online and it sounded good. when we arrived they han not received our booking. so the indian guy at the counter charged us about 100 usd to hold a room. we paid on card, they said theyd not run it, they did immediately. when we looked at the room it had no air conditioning and it was rather warm. A tiny fan sat on a table. there were three amy cots in the middle of this really ugly room. they obviously had no mattress. my lady said NO WAY and we went to another without spending more than a minute in. this prince william hotel was a hotel we paid for and they stated that when they did get our money that theyd keep two days of it and refund the rest....yea, right. theres a sign posted right there in the office in front of the jerk that talked to us saying theyd only charge us for one day. DONT ever go there. We called Cheapoair and theyve not called us back, but i noticed this hotel no longer come up on the search engine on their we site. We ended up getting a normal hotel at the airport.

Room Tip: avoid this hotel at all cost. this could result in divorce.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends