“Beautiful building very small rooms”

Grange Strathmore Hotel
Ranked #513 of 1,063 Hotels in London
.Nicosia
“Beautiful building very small rooms”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel during the Wimbledon fortnight. It was very convenient as it is on the District Line, which is the underground for getting to Wimbledon. The building itself is beautifully maintained and the public rooms grand. The room we stayed in was so small that at night we had to put the 1 suitcase we had on the chair and wheel it next to the entrance door so that we could move around the bed and negotiate our way to the bathroom. The room itself had nice furniture and was well appointed and also very clean. It is after all a 4star establishment.IIt could be that rooms on lower floors are bigger. I also have to mention the lack of free WIFI which was 10GBP a day. Even the computer in the lobby was 1GBP/15 '. The breakfast was OK and enough for me but if one fancied a cooked breakfast it was extra.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 5th floor are very small
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Naomi P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a romantic weekend away to celebrate his birthday! we had a wonderfull time! the package we had included diner, breakfast and a glass of champagne on arrival! it was just amazing! the dinner was yummy! the champagne as we arrived was great!! the breakfast the next day was lovely! cooked fresh to order and had as room sevice!! yummy!! the location is good! very close to the natrual history museum and science museum! also we shopped in Harrods!! ten mins walk from the hotel! we had such a lovely time! the staff very helpfull and friendly! although I must say when we came back later on the conciage was on a mobile phone but quickly hid it as we arrived and said hello! he was then the waiter in the lounge bar and served our drinks but when we wanted to leave he was nowhere to be seen!! we just left and the drinks still added to our bill so he had obviously made note of it before hand!! a bit annoying though to try and hunt him down!!

• Stayed July 2013
England
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I have stayed here a number of times when visiting a nearby famous university. I have always had good rooms and good service. It is well placed for the places to visit around South Kensington and Gloucester Road tube station is a five minute walk away. Breakfast is basic unless you pay extra for cooked breakfast in which case it is made to order. Overall a good hotel

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
england
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed at the Strathmore having used the City Grange and Tower Grange several times and had been very impressed. The room was ridiculously small with just 2 feet of space either side of the bed and the same between the bed end and a small desk. The bathroom door had to be closed to get to the sink. The lack of any form of air conditioning was a major problem given we stayed on one of the hottest days of the year so far. There was an extremely small cupboard for clothes and luggage. The continental breakfast included in our package was average. All of the staff were very pleasant and efficient. All in all a very disappointing stay which spoilt our view of the Grange Hotel group.

Room Tip: Suggest asking for a north facing room in the summer as no air conditioning.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Newtown
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed five nights at this hotel.

The hotel is very close to the Gloucester Road tube station. It's less than a 5 minute walk. South Kensington tube station is also close by ... more like a 10 minute walk. The hotel was very easy to find once we got off the tube. We arrived at the hotel about 10:30 a.m. on a Tuesday morning after flying from the U.S. We were not able to check in since check in time was 2:00 p.m. but were able to leave our luggage. We returned to the hotel at 1:30 p.m. and our room was ready. I had reserved a room with 2 twins and we were surprised when we got to our room that we had a triple - two twins and a double! That was truly a nice surprise! It gave us extra room. And since there is very little closet space the extra twin bed came in handy to store our things on. Yes there is no air-conditioning at this hotel but we were there in late June and did not find it a problem. Our room was on the 5th floor and overlooked Queen's Gate Garden Road. The bathroom is small but did not present a problem for us (I was traveling with my 18 year old niece). The room was nicely decorated. In fact, I found the rest of the hotel to be well decorated and extremely clean. The elevator is small as others have stated. Four people can fit in it or two people and two suitcases. Isn't this typical for smaller London hotels? I did not have a problem with this.

The hotel is located in a residential section and right off of Cromwell Road. This is nice because you do not have a lot of street noise. Our stay included continental breakfast for two mornings. There was plenty to eat and typical London continental breakfast with meats and cheeses. On my booking confirmation it had a "C" on Friday and Saturday and I thought it meant I had continental breakfasts on those two days. Reception explained to me that it meant it was for the following day - hence Saturday and Sunday. Since we were leaving the hotel at 6 a.m. on Sunday we would not be partaking in the breakfast and I asked if we could have it for Friday and Saturday instead. They accommodated my request and I was very pleased.

How I chose this hotel? My friend recommended this hotel to me. She had stayed there in 2012. Her description of the hotel was: "very traditional, no air conditioning, nice, but smallish rooms, but very quaint. Service was very good and they have a very nice space for breakfast. Very reasonable compared to other places we checked out."

Overall, I was very pleased with our stay at Grange Strathmore. The price for my five nights was reasonable (approximately £155/night - I booked directly through the hotel's website in late February for my trip in mid June). I agree with my friend - the price was reasonable given other hotels I had checked out. I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. I really liked the location of the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking for a hotel in the South Kensington area and would stay there again when I travel to London.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
St Bees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon on an incredibly hot day (unusual for London!). I used google maps to find the hotel which was out by about 100 yards! I have submitted a correction, but would advise you search for the address rather than the hotel name.

The hotel is not far from the Gloucester Road underground station at the extreme of the Zone 1 tube region. Or if you like walking is about 90 minutes walk from Euston station. It is extremely close to Imperial college, the Natural History Museum, the Royal Albert Hall and only 5 minutes walk from Hyde Park.

I paid around £125 for the room and continental breakfast. My room was on the 5th floor and was tiny, but adequate for a single night. The room was well furnished, well decorated and extremely clean, but the furniture and bed was rather squashed into the space. The windows were very high up and difficult to see out of, I suspect this was part of the servant's quarters when it was owned by the late queen mother's father. I could just make out the tops of trees in the park opposite the hotel through the window. The room included a kettle, cup, saucer, spoon, tea, coffee and milk in a wall mounted cabinet. The desk was very small, only just large enough for my laptop and the kettle after I moved the usual hotel guides (etc.) off of it, but it had a convenient power socket. There was no air-conditioning which in the extreme heat made it difficult to work.

The bathroom was also extremely clean but small and the shower had to be stepped up into it, the step being almost a foot high. The bathroom included good quality toiletries. The shower had good pressure, but took a several minutes to warm up. When it did warm up the water temperature was stable for over 10 minutes.

I was surprised that the wifi charge was £10 per day, this seems a high cost for what I would expect to be free in a quality hotel. However, the room service charges were very reasonable for London; £6 for a large sandwich, £4 for a litre of sparking water and £2 for delivery.

Although the area is reasonably quiet for London and my room faced the park, the noise of cars and other returning guests in the corridor was distracting, but I do live in a very quiet seaside village so am probably sensitive to such urban noises.

The breakfast is a cold buffet (£15 if not included in your rate) which I found to have a good selection, but for a £5 supplement you can order a cooked breakfast. The buffet was good and the waiters were very attentive offering extra coffee, toast etc.

Overall I felt the wifi charges and breakfast were expensive and the room cramped, but for London not unusually so. I would stay there again if lecturing at Imperial in future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert M
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Superior room on the 5th floor was tiny with a lethal step down into it (no sign on the door as with others on the floor) and no air-con as advertised. This was the hottest day of the year so far! On questioning the staff replied that "Superior" meant "Standard" !! I don't think the Engish Dictionary would agree! On the positive side the staff were very helpful and cheerful and the hotel was clean and in an excellent location for the Royal Albert Hall.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have more windows and therefore air movement
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends