“Nice rooms and very clean”

Grange Strathmore Hotel
Ranked #500 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 August 2013

WE had a fantastic time at the hotel as the room they give us was very spacious and very bright with a lovely view to Queens Gate Park. The bathroom was very clean and brand new. Even thou the hotel is very traditional with lovely classic music, you can feel the comfort of the updates facilities. We missed having a fridge in our room, but hey, London is always cold and we could put our Champs or any chocolates by the window. We are surely going back there.

Room Tip: We had the corner room and was great!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MariParker

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Positives: Elegant, traditional decor with modern touches, located in a quiet, upscale community, with a five minute walk to the Tube. I stayed for four nights in a clean, safe, quaint, single bed, upgraded with modern touches, and elegant bathroom.
negatives: My room, although clean, and elegant, was no bigger than a walk-in closet. It's a great thing that London air is cool while I was there in the beginning of August, because I would have suffocated, due to NO central air. It was also great that I had a lot to do, and many eatery choices near by, like waitrose, and many others, because the price, although fair, from what I've been told; being it was my first time in London, and not knowing what to expect; everything else was an extra cost. More channels on the TV, and eggs added to the continental breakfast had to be charged...and this is considered a 5 star hotel. They also charge somewhere around 80 pounds, for a just in case fee. just in case you break, hurt, or have to pay extra for something.
Overall, the room was fair. I didn't stay throughout the day. I just needed somewhere to sleep, and it did the job quite wonderfully, however, just don't expect what your used to in America, or other countries that provide a lot for your money. this is London, Europe after all.

Room Tip: perhaps asking for an upgrade, which I'm sure you'll pay for. fitness and swimming was not i...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2013

this hotel came as a real surprise to us. it is very reasonably priced in a very nice area (near the natural history museum and Albert Hall). I've stayed (and also lived) in London before, and usually hotels are sub-standard compared to most European countries and certainly compared to north America. this nice hotel is an exception, rooms are clean and nice, bathroom nice, staff friendly, a cozy bar. we didn't take the breakfast because that was quite pricey (24 pounds for English breakfast). there are plenty of good places around to eat breakfast. underground station Gloucester road is 3 minutes away, yet the street where the hotel was was very quiet. one minor point: on the booking it was stated that the hotel had airco, but it has no such thing. we didn't need it, our room on the top floor was quite cool although it was hot outside. highly recommended.

Room Tip: without airco I think top floor rooms are probably the coolest in summer.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ExploringScientist
Reviewed 13 August 2013

we booked for just one night whilst attending a late night Prom at the Albert hall which is a short walk away Its also very handy for the 3 great museums of South kensington
I booked a "superior Room" but was told on arrival this means standard room I don't know what it was like as we got an upgrade to an "executive room". This was adequate for one night but quite basic with a tiny wardrobe and little other storage space. For some reason despite there being free wall space the trouser press which I needed was inside the wardrobe and very difficult to get at The bathroom ( no bath just a shower) was extremely compact and I doubt if someone of a very large size would be able to use it.There is no air conditoning We were told that a cooked breakfast would cost £24 each even the continental was £19.I Would expect a bit of luxury at that price but the dining room looked packed with tables. There are loads of places to get a much cheaper breakfast around the two nearby tube stations at Gloucester Road & South Kensington. The staff were very friendly and helpful,
Ok for a night but I would hate to stay longer

Room Tip: Check on the size Don't be fooled by "superior Rooms"
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I booked this hotel as a secret hotel on last minute.com. I've stayed at another grange hotel before but this was nicer. It has a real 'grand' house feel. Lovely lounge and dining room. I booked a single room which although small was bigger than some of the doubles I've stayed in London. Comfy bed, TV, small but clean shower room. There was no air conditioning but the room was cool enough to sleep. I imaging on a hot day it might be too hot. I also wish hotels would solve the problem of noisy doors banding shut and use soft closes on the doors. I was woken twice in the night with noisy doors. I didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on breakfast.

Room Tip: Top floor was warm
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Where to start. A few pros for this hotel are, you are within 5 minutes walking of the Gloucester tube which is convenient, same goes for a supermarket, a couple cafes, a Burger King, KFC and a Nandos. ATM is in same distance also a couple hairdressers.

The hotel itself is quite nice from the outside and is furnished nicely, they are going for the whole regal high society feel, which also means the staff are quite short with you when you speak with them. The hotel is clean, newish decor inside the room we stayed in (521) has a boiler heater which is the norm in London anyway check in and outside was efficient and room service is quite quick although we NHL used it once (which I will elaborate on later).

Onto the bad. If you want to use wifi in your room, look out. Their wifi starts at £5 for one continuous hour (logging off does not stop the 1 hour timer), then if you want 24 hour (again continuous) access then you are looking at £10 per day. The wifi is reasonable although really expensive, especially when you are there on the wifi and see TV advertisements showing Internet plans with ISP's in London for £10 per month unlimited. You would be better off using a local sim card in your iPhone and hot spotting your laptop or other device such as iPads etc. our stay cost us £80 just in Internet usage alone, which is ridiculous and if the room was not already prepaid I would have gone to the Holiday Inn close by.

The room was so SMALL. I you step out of the shower, you are practically standing on the toilet, the bed takes up all the bedroom space, along with the desk, our bags were kept in the enhance way of the room which is really inconvenient. No iron, although there is a pants press. No fan in the bathroom = foggy and humid room as soon as you get out and open the door it turns the room into a humid box. TV is as expected in any hotel, coffee and tea in your room, no minibar (I guess they ran out of space to cram it in).

Room service accurate & prompt. Not much else to say other than you have a VERY limited selection, basically sandwiches and anything else that the concierge is capable of making. Then they sprinkle crisps (chips) over the top, and slug you £6 for it.

If you pay for a continental breakfast, be prepared to have no hot food aside from toast on your table. If you would like eggs or bacon, they will charge you another £5 on top of what you have already paid for breakfast, which is ridiculousness. There is so few tables in the breakfast room, that every day we ate breakfast there we had to line up or sit in the lounge area until called when a table was free. Also while you are eating, they will disturb you and ask you to sign the card acknowledging you have eaten there that morning so they can bill you, not on your way out.

One elevator for the whole place, it is normal that you are awaiting 5 minutes or more for the elevator to come, and it is only small, will fit 4 people comfortably but that is it unless you like sardines. My wife and her bags upon checkout did not allow for me to enter the elevator, so two trips were made.

No swimming pool or fitness centre, the pool I understand but fitness centre is a let down.

For people who are expecting A/C in a London hotel. Don't. They do not use climate control in London, they use boiler heaters during the colder months, but it is never usually hot enough for the use of an air conditioning system, so don't complain that they or anyone else do not have one if that is what you are used to.

To sum up, I would next time consider going to the Holiday Inn or the Radisson which are a short walk away (closer again to the shops and the tube) instead of this location.

I may add pictures at a later date (I do have them, just the wifi in the hotel I'm in at the moment is horrendous).

Room Tip: If you are told you have room 521, ask for a different one. The room is so tiny, your bags will be i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shaun G
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Everything about the hotel is great ! The location so near to Gloucester road tube yet in a whisper quiet street. Elegant hotel beautifully furnished and decorated very regal feel. My room was lovely, huge comfy bed and every amenity that you require, huge opening sash window overlooking a row of fab Georgian houses opposite. Breakfast was sufficient and there was an extra charge if you had a cooked option. Helpful staff, super fast check in .I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and cant wait to stay again ! I also thought the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business