“Only a 4* for the location.”

Grange Strathmore Hotel
Ranked #506 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Only a 4* for the location.”
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from our Hotel stay last night. I would just like to say how disappointed we were with the hotel.

The hotel is very drab, and needs a total rehaul. The first thing which became very apparent was just how small and cramped the room was. We had to squeeze round the bed. We had to ring for an ironing board, which we struggled to set up due to the complete lack of space. The iron they have us had gaffer tape round the cord ( I'm sure this would not pass the Health & Safety test ).

There was paint peeling off of the radiator, the draw in the bedside cabinet didn't close, and there was no toilet roll holder ( just holes in the wall where it used to be ).

The service in the hotel bar was extremely slow, my husband had to wait nearly 20 minutes whilst they changed the barrel, despite the fact that there were 3 members of staff behind the bar, and no one to serve. The furniture in the bar was very worn and uncomfortable.

This visit was a gift from my husband, and he spent the evening apologising to me for the quality of the hotel. We would have preferred to have stayed in a better quality 3*.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Cool hotel. Used to belong to the Queen's grandparents. Convenient to the tube, as well as some museums, shops and restaurants. By American standards the room and bathroom were a tight fit, but everything was high quality. Overall fantastically polite, great staff... except one female manager who made some quite negative assumptions about us simply because we're from the States (we could hear her yelling about us from the next room to the front desk person). Big up-charge for wifi, btw. Still overall good experience.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I spent three days here during a recent trip to Europe. The hotel itself is charming and the staff was extremely helpful. This is a London hotel-the room was quite small with a very tiny closet which made unpacking out of the question. It just wasn't a big deal. We grabbed things from the suitcase as needed and as a result there was no mad scramble trying to find everything on the morning we checked out. The elevator was the smallest I have ever been in. Not for those with a fear of small places.

Room Tip: The rooms get smaller the higher up you go.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, FL
Reviewed 11 January 2014

First the room, when I read they were small, I didn't pay much attention; however, they are SMALL! You literally have to wait for your partner to pass to walk around the room and the shower is literally only big enough for one. (However the hotel has larger rooms and, if you get one, there's a lot to be happy about.) The bed is super comfortable, not something I've always found in Europe, and although too small, the water pressure in the shower was great with plenty of hot water. The continental breakfast was good enough that it was all you'd need to start your day.

On the other hand, the reason I rated this hotel average is the staff. If they'd been more helpful, more familiar with the area, more friendly/welcoming, I would've given it a higher rating! For whatever reason, all of the staff, except a few members working in the dining room, were from Hungary. Now, I don't care where your from if you do your job, but this staff was unable to assist you if you were looking for recommendations, they would Google "good restaurants" for example. Also I didn't feel as if they knew how to treat people in a way that made them feel welcome. At one point I decided to Google my own information only to have a staff member rush over, reach over my shoulder, and click on a new page, informing me that he basically didn't want me to lose his search...really? Are you supposed to be surfing the net when you're working? Also only so many people can go up in the elevator and the way that they'd inform you of that bordered on rude.

Location was great, very near the underground which will get you anywhere you want to go, not to mention close to Harrod's, Hyde Park, the post office...overall, if we'd had a bigger room and the staff had been more welcoming and more informed, I would recommend this property more highly.

Room Tip: Room 414 was the one we occupied, size does matter in this case, being quite near the elevator (in c...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuzieSparkles
New forest
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This is a very pleasant hotel, in a historic building, very close to the Natural History Museum, Science Museum, Royal Albert Hall, the Royal Geographical Society and Imperial College. The entrance decor is very grand, with pleasant welcoming staff. The rooms are well furnished, the bed very comfortable. The breakfast room was airy, and breakfast good. Having stayed on my own in a number of hotels in this area, for business, this is by far the best. I recommend it for a business stay, rather than pleasure, because the rooms are quiet small - my room was small for one and I was kindly upgraded to a double! I will definately stay at this hotel again next time I am in London.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Lovely building, reasonable hotel conversion. Stayed 7 nights, first night in a tiny room, too cramped for us so we were kindly relocated to a more spacious basement room, one with a wardrobe and a sofa. Between 4 and 5am the laundry truck "dropped" the laundry bags over the fence onto the basement ground with loud thuds, so consequently no alarm clock needed. They only had to be told once, but that's not my job! The air conditioning was not good (yes it's winter but a/c was required) until one of the concierge staff kindly "cleaned the filter!" I expect a four star hotel to have face cloths/flannels in the bathrooms and only a small thing but I had to ask housekeeping for tissues. Breakfast was included, but after two attempts we chose a 1000 x better breakfast at Garfunkels near the tube station. Definitely a 3 star hotel

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Only about 3 minutes walk fom the nearest underground station (Gloucester Road), the Grange Strathmore has a charming welcoming atmosphere and staff who are a credit to both their employers and the hospitality industry.

All things considered, my stay there was not only relaxing, but also exceptional value for money.

I look forward to my next visit.

Stuart F