London Marriott Hotel Kensington
Ranked #271 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Booked with an offer for the Friday & Saturday of the holiday weekend - lower cost than Premier Inn round the corner! Arrived early morning but a room was available and off we went to the Chelsea Flower Show. The service and room were fine and comparable to the similar level global chains everywhere. The doors on the rooms make a noise when shutting so that almost the whoe corridor is aware of comings & goings also there was a late night party in one room which went on well into the morning. The location has a lot going for it, being on the Picadilly or District lines at Earls Court or Gloucester Road(Picadilly not here since 24th May due to lift replacement) and easy walk to South Kensington museums.

1  Thank JAK45
Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband surprised me with a plane ticket to visit my daughter, who was studying abroad in Kensington. He used his Marriott points so my stay at the Kensington Marriott was covered in full. As a Platinum customer, he was assured I would have full use of the executive lounge. When I arrived, the staff was very professional and courteous. Unfortunately, after this point, my week-long stay was very frustrating. I was informed that the Platinum status from my husband was not transferable. I had to pay an extra 85 pounds per day in order to use the executive lounge. I contacted my husband, who called customer service. They agreed that I did not have to pay the extra fees. When I told the front desk, they disagreed despite having confirmation information for them. This nightmare continued every day with my husband spending hours on the phone from the United States, trying to straighten this out. Every day he would tell me it was straightened out, and every day I was told it wasn't by the staff. On my last day, I was told the manager would see me at 9:30 am. I waited patiently for her. Someone from the back office came out to tell me she was in a meeting and would see me at 1:00. I left for a few hours and checked in with the front desk again to be told she was in a meeting indefinitely. I had to check out and was forced to pay the extra $85/day. At this point I was in tears. Another manager came to speak to me and basically told me that even if Corporate said the funds would be refunded, they are not obligated to listen to them. He also said the manager was in the building but was conducting interviews all day. She would not be able to see me period! When I returned back to the States, we were told the staff from the Kensington Marriott was being investigated. My credit card was refunded. The nightmare was finally over.
The day time valet staff was very nice. The only saving grace.
There was one evening when I went down to the executive lounge at 9:15 pm to get a muffin. The girl from the front desk was straightening up. I didn't see the muffins at first but then saw them on the counter near the sink. I asked if I could have one and she said no. It was past 9:00 and the lounge was closed. We basically were going back and forth about this with the basket of muffins within my reach. She would not let me take a muffin. This was ridiculous!!
The location of the hotel was only a mile away from the tube. Buses ran all day, and passed the front of the hotel as well. Easy to get around from there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were expecting a nice welcome that Marriott hotels always show us. However, this hotel seriously made us wonder if it was really part of The Marriott hotels!
We could check in online. Even though, my husband who has Platinum status, and likes a high floor, he was assigned a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the Atrium restaurant! There was also some dangling red strings from the fire alarm! We took a picture of it and went back down to ask for another room and a bigger one as this was the size of a walk in closet in the U.S! We also asked if we could pay for a larger room since we were not upgraded. We were told by the staff that the hotel was full. Since we were going to be there for a week they could not give us a larger room! This, after we offered to pay! The best they could do is move us to a similar room on a high floor. We were leaving on a late night flight. So, once again we went down to the lobby and asked for a late check out and if we could pay for a couple of hours till it was time to leave. Once again we were told that the hotel was full and we could pay and stay till 5 p.m. with a late check out at 3. We got online and checked for availability at the hotel and there were plenty of rooms for that night! Very very disappointing! Not at all like a Marriott hotel!
The breakfast was decent but same for the entire week we were there. The executive lounge is like a dungeon. The service there is very poor. No refills other than on the last day we were there. Cleanliness is questionable too. A glass was dropped on the floor and the server used her leg to stop it from breaking. Then she placed it with the rest of the glasses! Same thing at breakfast. A server dropped a fork on the floor, picked it up and placed it on the table! Really Marriott? I know you have a much better standard than this! Not looking to come back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank TravelerC55
John L, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Traveler C55,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the London Marriott Hotel Kensington.

I am sorry to hear that your time here did not meet your expectations. We always strive for excellent service throughout our entire hotel and I apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

As a Platinum Marriott Rewards Member you are of course entitled to some great benefits that do include an upgrade where possible and I am sorry that unfortunately on this stay due to occupancy being high we could not provide you with one.

Thank you again for your feedback and I will be pasing it throughout my team in order for them to review and improve where we can.

I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next trip to London.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

It's difficult to get excited about a hotel in London, and the London Marriott in Kensington is no exception to this rule. It's a nicely appointed, well located hotel offering good value.

It's conveniently located between two tube stations - Earl's Court and Gloucester Road (Gloucester Road being the closer and probably better connected of the two) - in a very nice part of the city. The V&A museum, Science museum and Natural History Museum are all within a few minutes walk with Hyde Park being a few minutes further on.

There are plenty of restaurants in the vicinity so you won't be stuck for somewhere to eat, but beware some are 'tourist traps.'

The room we had was comfortable, clean and well equipped. It was also pleasantly quiet.

The staff were all very pleasant and the service was efficient.

We only ate once in the hotel (a breakfast) and it was fine.

If you can secure a room at a reasonable price, I'd recommend taking it - you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Our room seemed to be to the side of the hotel - it was very quiet, but, as you might expect, it had...
1  Thank David L

Dear DaveyBikeBoy,

I am very proud to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and my team looked after you. Thank you very much for your lovely comments, I am so happy to see that you were happy with our service and found the location to your liking. We are very proud of our team and our hotel and I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel is close to the Glouster Rd. Tube station and the V&A. Very convenient for my favorite run - Hyde Park / Kensington Gardens. Nice rooms. Helpful staff. Convenient for the Sainsbury across the street. Good base for visiting London.

1  Thank Pinotpomeroy
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have been to London several times this year and this was my first stay at the Marriott - I got a good deal on Expedia. I am an elite Marriott rewards member and the front desk went out of their way to provide an early morning check-in which after a long flight was appreciated. It's about a 6 minute walk to the Gloucester Rd. tube station but be advised that the access to the PIccadilly line will be closing soon for renovations to the lift. I was pleasantly surprised that the room was fairly large for London. There is a Starbucks in the lounge for coffee and a lighter breakfast. The hotel is close to some of the major museums and lots of good restaurants. We all know this is a different experience from many of the boutique hotels in the city but the price was right and I had no complaints. All in all a pleasant and experience.

1  Thank Debbie H
John L, Front Office Manager at London Marriott Hotel Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Debbie H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here with us at the London Marriott Hotel Kensington.

We are very pleased to receive your nice comments on the quality of the services in the hotel. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.
We sincerely hope that your stay was an enjoyable and memorable one.
We look forward to welcoming your back to us during your next trip to London.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on our trip to London as it's a handy spot and right next to the Piccadilly line so transport to oxford street and the theatre district were a breeze . No mention of my gold status on check in and no room upgrade also had to go back down to the front desk to get the keys activated in the lounge breakfast was good both days Strange the level a tip charge to your bill each day in this hotel for some reason when it's a buffet we didn't use the hotel bar so can't comment on that all in all we will defo use this hotel again for our base for London trips

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
John L, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear doddsy 69,

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your time here with us and my team looked after you and have inspired you to return to us. My apologies if you feel that your membership was not acknowledged during your stay, I can assure you we appreciate your loyalty.

Thank you again for your feedback and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to London.