“Home from home”

London Marriott Hotel Kensington
Ranked #255 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Home from home”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I travel extensively with work - accommodation clean, and well serviced to a high standard. All the staff I encountered friendly, professional, and approachable (A lady called Cassandra from reception even help recommend a present for my patents). The Chef was happy to make me a meal to my own specification. It's a home from home and definitely on my preferred list. Free Food, Beer & Wine in the exec lounge a particularly nice too.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stuart T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NJ
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Not Marriott Hotel standards, more like a Courtyard than a Marriott. Some friendly staff at the front desk and at restaurant. 3rd floor room in front of service door, dirty carpet and door. Room not cleaned although left room twice for over 2 hours. Again, some of the staff at the front desk are helpful and friendly - Cassandra one of them. The young German lady at the restaurant was also very, very helpful. Recommendation for places to eat - other than at the restaurant - by the front desk staff were also good.

Room Tip: Room facing the back of the hotel was quiet, view of brick wall not helpful but worth the lack of st...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LoveToTravelNJ63
John L, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Kensington, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear LoveToTravelNJ63,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the London Marriott Hotel Kensington.

I am very proud to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and my team looked after you, especially Lea in the restaurant and Cassandra at the Front Desk. I apologise that your room was not as expected and I will be sure to pass your comments on to our Housekeeping Team for continuous development.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to London.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay where we were well looked after. All the staff were extremely welcoming and there is a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The hotel is well located just five minutes walk from Gloucester Rd tube and within easy walking distance of Kensington High Street.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

the place looks nice enough, but the staff are rude, we were in room 031. sign post said to go one way, follow the sign and its not there. have to go up stairs, across then back down. corridor smelt of fried food - just awful.
we have stayed in London many times, all sorts of different hotels from claridges to premier inn. these were far better than this hotel. next time we are going somewhere else.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jenmlc,

I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy the location of your room as much as we would have hoped. Due to a very exciting new refurbishment we are currently having to use different routes to our rooms and I apologise that you could not enjoy the room as much as possible due to this. I have personally passed your comments on to our Engineering Team to ensure that we are directing guests more accurately to their rooms.

I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next trip to London.

Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for three nights and very much enjoyed it.The staff was very professional and friendly throughout our entire stay - starting with a warm welcome at the front desk, where we were also offered great advice on what to look at during our stay.The hotel itself was also very nice, we are familiar with the Marriott standard and quickly felt very confortable.The beds are simply heaven!We will definitely come back to this hotel on our next trip to London!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank srehner
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Marriott card member and stayed five nights last week in family two double bed room. Arrived Saturday and given 3rd floor room, not the requested high floor room on my booking. First night we could not sleep well as the AC was not working correctly, also on the Cromwell Road side, so it is quite noisy if you open the windows. Complained 1:30am and we got moved the next night onto the 8th floor and on the quieter side of the hotel. Both rooms were clean and to a normal standard I expect from Marriott however BBC1 TV channel was not working in the second room for some reason. Breakfast was buffet with English, Continental or fruit sections plus an egg station, also separate menu available. Breakfast choice was fine but have had a wider selection at other Marriott's. The hotel is having some renovations at the moment however did not experience any noise after 6:00pm. Overall its a solid hotel and 10 minutes stroll to the V&A, Science and Natural History Museums for families and 5 minutes to Gloucester Road Tube station. We have stayed here several times in the past and the overall experience and standard has slipped a notch, although the first night experience obviously left a bad impression on us. Although a loyal Marriott member we would consider other hotel chains in the future, just depends on the room rates.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are on the high floors, especially opposite side to the front Cromwell Road entrance.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
John L, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Kensington, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear hcbaz65,

I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with your room and that your request for a higher floor was not available on this occasion.

However I am happy to see that my night team acted immediately and were able to find you a new room when you reported the disturbance from the road.

I do apologise that your experience left a negative impression with you and this is not the impression I would like any of my guests to leave with and I hope that you give us the chance to return to us in the future.

Manchester
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Marriott South Kensington for 2 nights and left extremely disappointed with the service received. Having stayed at various Marriott hotels in the past I was very excited for the stay. The location of the hotel is very good, Earls Court tube station is about a 5 minute walk away and the V&A amongst other museums is a short walk away. Upon arrival there was some confusion with our booking and room, which in itself is not a problem. However the way the member of staff - who we later found out is the front of house manager - handled the situation was extremely poor and unprofessional. The member of staff in question was very abrupt and rude, did not offer us options and made us feel very small. We had just finished a long journey with our suitcases, including tube stations with no escalators and it was a very hot day. The booking was in my mums name, I am 5 months pregnant and her main priority was getting us into a room so I could put my feet up and have a drink. Therefore we accepted what we were given.
The housekeeping man was polite and accommodating, making sure we had everything we needed. Every time we went in and out of the hotel we felt uncomfortable and nervous to see the member of staff who had made our arrival so unwelcoming. Upon checkout we encountered another member of staff, who did not greet us with good morning or a smile, she simply demanded what room we had stayed in. There was no smile or customer service which I have experienced in other Marriott hotels and therefore expected. The lady did not even say goodbye as we left.

As mentioned the area is perfect for visiting London and I would recommend it highly however avoid this hotel at all costs and choose another in the area.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear ChrisBilli,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of the London Marriott Hotel Kensington.

I must apologise that you felt uncomfortable with regards to your check-in experience and seeing my colleague as you were entering and leaving the hotel.

This is not the impression I would like any of my guests to leave the hotel with and I will be personally following up with our entire Front Office Team for continuous development.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and that although there was some confusion we managed to get you into a comfortable room quickly and Housekeeping took good care of you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I will be following up on all points you have raised.
I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.