“If there was a negative rating, this hotel would get a -10”
Review of The Columbia

The Columbia
Ranked #536 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 June 2010

First, I would like to mention that I had no choice in staying at this hotel. I went with a school group and the school picked the hotel. We were a group of 30 and they spread us apart all over the hotel instead of putting us together like the school requested.

The website claims this is a family hotel. I do not recommend bringing your kids here, unless you want them to be around rude, loud, and drunk hotel guests AND staff.

Pros: Location - Close to Lancaster Gate and Queensway stations, close to shops and resturants on Queensway.

Cons: Everything else! Look at the pics!
Service/Staff: One word: rude. The staff actually would ignore us and when we did ask for anything, would yell and scream at us and try to get us in trouble with our professor. We had to remind them several times that we were guests and not their children (we are all over 18). I accidently locked myself out of the room and they told me there was no extra key to let me in. Most of the yelling nad screaming came from the night manager, who I believe has anger management issues and is not mentally stable. The resturant staff was also very rude.
No amenities: no microwaves or no fridges (might be expected for the price), breakfast made me throw up twice, some of the students thought it was ok
Noisy: Everything creeks - floors, doors, plumbing, beds, and elevators when they are working, walls are paper thin so you can hear everything going on in the near rooms, you will not get a good night's sleep
Cleanliness: Look at the pics. It speaks for itself. The beds are hard, the sheets and towels are stiff, the rooms are moldy. None of the linen or towels smelled clean.
Rooms: beds were hard, room was cold, and the bathroom did not have any hot water on certain days, toilets worked whenever, (this was a problem for many hotels, has something to do with the Thames river pump)

• Stayed: March 2010
8  Thank globaltrekster

Reviewed 10 June 2010

There is absolutely nothing special with the Columbia hotel in London, it is exactly what you expect from any British hotel: the rooms are small and dirty, the beds are hard and old, the reception is huge as well as the library and there is a decent pub with a tele on. This is what you normally pay 80-150 pounds per night for in London or elsewhere in UK, but here you only pay 50-70 pounds, and breakfast is included (!), which is really (compared to the rest of the world) what this type of hotel is worth.
The hotel is situated in a calm spot by Hyde Park, just a couple of minutes walk from the Lancaster gate tube station.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2010

The hotel has a great location, so in that sense it was perfect. It however bugged me that they had this beautiful old building, and spent money on e.g. chandeliers whilst the rugs on the main staircase were completely worn down and in some places fixed with duct tape. Breakfast was rather boring and our room was very hot, because you couldn't regulate the heating. But I guess it is quite okay considering the price; just be aware that it is more of a hostel than hotel. Go there if all you plan on doing there is sleep.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 14 May 2010

This hotel is in an excellent location, a few minutes walk to the Lancaster Gate undergound station. The staff were helpful and the reception area, lounge, bar and breakfast dining room were much above average for a 2 star hotel. However, this was all spoilt by our dated and tired room. The bathroom was one of the worst we had experienced in many years travelling with mould between the green cracked and missing tiles. This bathroom had the original 1960's advocado sanitary ware and needs the most urgent renovation, no guest should have to endure this in 2010 ! For this reason alone we will stay elswhere when next in London.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2010

This hotel has a very friendly staff. Very helpfu!. We stayed from April 13-16. Had to stay an extra day due to missing our train to Paris. The Hotel accomodated us with discounted rate due to the Volcanic Ash the erupted in Iceland closing British airspace. This hotel is definitely not for the luxury type trip. Small rooms for two. If you are going to basically be traveling around London for the most part of the day and just using the hotel to recharge your body and rest those feet then it is definitely a bargain hotel. No extras to this hotel but for the price its worth it. We suggest taking the english breakfast the hotel offers for extra so that your time spent looking around for breakfast will be used for sight seeing among other things. One complain is that internet connection via WiFi is slow and only available in the lounge and by the bar. It is close to the underground (subway) where you pretty much take to most sites. Bus station is right outside that takes you directly to St. Pancras (bus 390) if going to Paris by train.

From Heathrow take train to Paddington Station and bus 148 but definitely walkable from Paddington station. We would recommend this hotel if your trip does not consist of pampering yourself after a days worth of activities. If we are going to target as many sight as we did again on another trip we probably will consider this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Total scam! Payed the hotel bill way in advance only to be told on checking out that actually, I hadn't payed at all. Made to feel like a total idiot/crazy lady and had to pay again on the spot even though I assured them that I had already done so but they told me they couldn't find any record of it. Had things to do so had to pay up again and leave looking like a fool....got home and wouldn't you know it,found records that I HAD payed twice. Called them up the next day only to be joked with casually like this kind of thing happens all the time and assured I'd be refunded the next day because the accounts office was already closed. Next day came and went...and the next day...and the next day and still no refund. Sent various messages to them and didn't receive any response, so called up again only to be told this time that there was no one to speak to because it was a bank holiday and the offices were convniently closed yet again. Funnily enough received a message the next morning apologising and saying that the refund was infact payed days in advanced already....well, I didn't see it? Funny that it randomly appeared in my bank account after that...perhaps somebody was feeling the fire under their backside?

Really annoyed me! Otherwise the location and rooms in this hotel are all really good. Even the service is quite good...but I would not stay here again purely for what happened.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wordsandmusic2
Reviewed 23 April 2010

On arrival (late at night) we were roundly ignored by the male receptionist for around 5 minutes while he tapped on a computer. Rather than greet us he barked 'yes!' at us, which wasn't the best start to our stay. There was some confusion over payment (supposed to have been pre-paid) for the room but his face lit-up when I produced a credit card & let him swipe it.

The room was shabby and to top it off the radiator was on full blast throughout the stay. The same receptionist/handyman came in with a large spanner but it couldn't be fixed and there were no other available rooms (he said). The window didn't open much so we sweltered for the duration which was quite unpleasant.

I had to ring reception several times late at night about the noise from a hen party next door. The noise got so bad & went on for so long that after a few fruitless phonecalls to reception I finally had to be quite forceful in insisting they spoke to the women. The noise was not as bad the second night, but bad enough.

The breakfast staff were lovely (fair play) but the breakfast was truly awful. For veggies the choice was yoghurt followed by tepid scrambled eggs on wet toast - it looked like it had been sitting around for hours. I couldn't eat it. Better to eat in a cafe for less if you do have the misfortune to stay here.

The good point about the hotel is that there was free parking outside (rare in this part of London) and the location is great - just a stroll to Oxford Street.. The female receptionist was friendly, unlike the older male receptionist/handyman whose manners and customer service skills were simply dreadful.

I wouldn't stay there again & I certainly wouldn't recommend it at the price.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business