“GOOD LOCATION BUT TINY ROOMS” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rembrandt

The Rembrandt
Ranked #226 of 1,087 Hotels in London
wakefield
“GOOD LOCATION BUT TINY ROOMS”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2008

My husband and I stayed 1 night at this hotel on business. On first impressions the reception and lobby area was small and not as plush as some other hotels. We were allocated a room on the 5th floor. The corridor carpet was shabby in places and the wall scuffed. The room and bathroom were tiny.. The small queen size bed was in an alcove so to get out of bed you virtually had to climb over the bed. The room was noisy. The decor and furniture were ok and the breakfast was fine. The location was very good and we had no issues with staff. Overall I think the hotel was ok, but it was the smallest bedroom I have encounted in London and the hotel did not feel like a luxury hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank joannetricklebucket

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Upstate NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2008

Spent 5 nights in early July. I found the staff to be very helpful and pleasant (if somewhat difficult to understand with heavy accents for most personnel). Our group was made up of 1 couple and a grandmother/grandaughter - so we had the opportunity to see both a twin bedded room and a gueen size room. The twin room was beautiful, on the second floor facing the V&A museum. It had the most delightful little balcony. It had been updated fairly recently, I would say, with a very nice bathroom. The queen room was towards the back of the hotel, nowhere near as nice and cost more - substantially more! However, the room towards the rear was very quiet while the room facing the museum had a lot of street noise.

Breakfast buffet was quite good with a nice selection and the best scrambled eggs we encountered on a 14 day trip that included Paris and parts of Scotland. Our breakfasts were included in our room rates, but we did eat there for dinner one night as well. They offer a 25% discount for early dinners, so we gave them a try. Dinner is also a buffet and while acceptable, was not anything great. Rather limited choices. Beware if you are paying by credit card and are from the States....they will attempt to do the conversion for you, running the charge in dollars and not pounds, and won't bother to ask you first. I had repeatedly read that if asked, you should always have the charges run in pounds as it will be a higher conversion fee, if run in dollars, than your own credit card company would charge you.

There are 2 computers in the lobby for internet. At check in, I was told that you could purchase a password to allow you to access the internet. However, if you just sat down to use the computers, you could get right online without any password. Not sure what was going on, but was able to check weather and email with no problem and at no cost! As other posters have pointed out, the location is superb. I would certainly consider staying here on future trips to London

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Differences in room types
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank PK12033
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

OK. So twice a year my wife and I treat ourselves to an overnighter in London without the kids and this was one of thise nights.
Great room at a great rate, the only problem was no air-con, so waking up sweating in teh night after several drinks may be the norm, but in 25 degrees, yuck.
The restaurant doesn't really do much if you're on a special occasion, we made the right choice to eat out and just take breakfast. That said, we had a beautiful cheeseburger in the bar on arrival. One of the best ever...
I'd recommend this place to anyone wanting a bit more space for under £200.00. The Westbury in Mayfair and Le Meridien in Piccadily were our last two venues, but The Rembrandt wins it. DOes anyone know if there's cheaper parking nearby as the car park behind the hotel was £30 for 24 hours...

• Liked — Size
  • Disliked — Aircon broken
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DIB85
swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night (saturday) in July. Check in staff were really helpful. We arrived early and had a lunch appointment to go to. We really wanted to check into our room before lunch but thought it wouldn't be possible. They called housekeeping and asked for the room to be finished ASAP so we could refresh ourselves and head off to lunch. We'd booked a Superior room also which was very spacious and had a sofa so you don't have to sit around on the beds.

Location is great. Right opposite the Victoria and Albert museum. Great for exploring the west end. Also close enough on picadilly/district lines if you want to park outside of london and come in by Tube.

You would think that the rooms would be noisy too - because of being in such a busy area, but we didn't hear a sound all night. Must have great triple-glazing!!

Breakfast was very nice, lots of choice...and they even had soya milk for me, which can be difficult to find in hotels!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank zoe12583
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

I'll start with what was good about this hotel. The location is terrific. The South Kensington tube station is a block and a half away, Harrods, etc. are about 3-4 blocks the other direction. The V&A museum is literally across the street, so it was nice to walk over for the day. Knightsbridge / Kensington are two of the nicest areas in the Center of London. The music academy is a block away, so there are always great performances to attend without having to travel very far. It's a great neighborhood.

From the moment we checked into the Rembrandt, it seemed as though the desk staff had something more important to do (and we had just spent the previous 3 weeks in Italy, so our tolerance for 'abrupt' treatment from hotel staff was pretty high). Aside from one nice man who loaned us an extension cord and some of his tools to fix a suitcase, the staff was just plain rude.

Our room had once been beautiful. It was large and had a nice sitting area that overlooked the V&A Museum. The condition of the room, however was a far cry from 'shabby chic'. The carpet was worn and stained, the furniture was worn nearly through in many places, and both the furniture and the feather mattress pad and duvet had a musty smell.

There was so much deferred maintenance that I can't list it all, but the main thing that stands out in my mind is that the mini-bar fridge hadn't been cleaned in a long time, and with the key-card system the hotel uses to shut down electricity in the room having turned off the power, smelled slightly of wet cat. The bathroom sink drain was slow, the ironing board wouldn't stand up. You get the idea. Once a hotel experience turns, as this one did, the list of things one notices gets longer and longer :)

After the first breakfast, we vowed to walk to other food. The buffet reflected the same lack of care as the rest of the presentation. We just kept asking ourselves, "does anybody care that things are like this?". The answer is that if someone did, they wouldn't be.

When we went to the front desk to express a few concerns, the young lady (without realizing that I could see what she was writing) while listening to my partner describe our concern, smiled and wrote down a completely different number (while repeating it back). When I repeated the number, she realized I was standing where I could see her notepad, blushed, scribbled it out and wrote the number down. It spoke to the lack of concern for us or any customer, and we weren't going on like I am right now, it was something as simple as a request for a room key because housekeeping had taken ours out of the key-card slot.

This hotel could be a great find, with just a little TLC and a tightening of the managerial reigns. Location is one thing, but an absence of pride is another. While it wasn't the worst hotel room we have seen, we will definitely seek other accommodations in the future.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The condition of the room.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sfbayrunner
Istanbul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

Location wise the hotel is situated around 10 minutes walking distance from the famous harrods shopping centre and knightsbridge. the single room was pretty compact and small but clean. nice and affordable hotel for short term business stays. friendly front desk staff. do not expect a five star ammenities though.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — size of the room
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank cakdemir
Southwest Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2008

Stayed at this hotel four nights in the end of June. Having read good reviews at this page, I was looking very much forward to my stay. And I was nor disappointed.
Check-in was friendly and efficient. Luggage brought up to my room, which was at a quiet street at the back of the hotel.
Queen bed with a light duvet! What a treat for one that cannot stand those sheets and blankets that tend to end up in a mix in the morning. The best bed ever in a London hotel!
The size of the room plenty for me, and room and bath had all I needed.
The door to the corridor could, however, been more soundproof. You could hear every single person walking by, so one of the nights I woke up by someone passing by talking. Normal talking, but it was almost as they were in the room!
The breakfast was very good, with a good selection of warm and cold food. I always turned up at 7, and there was always plenty of tables available until I had finished at 8. I did not feel that I had to leave the table for others. One had to get through The Daily Telegraph provided, and enjoy the meal. (Good choice of newspaper!)
The concierges were very helpful, and always recogniced you.
The location is very convinient for the tube. 5 min. walk from South Kensington Station, and about 10 from Kensington.
I had a very nice stay, felt very welcome, and would definitely stay again.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Doors little soundproof
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo