“Peace and tranquility in Kensington”
Review of The Rembrandt

The Rembrandt
Ranked #222 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Wellington, New Zealand
“Peace and tranquility in Kensington”
Reviewed 2 October 2008

I spent six nights in an Executive Room (a step above "Superior") during September. Initial contact with the hotel was plagued with self-inflicted problems - mainly because I was in a different timezone and work demands meant the dates of my stay kept changing - but staff handled my contacts so well that I felt in safe hands before I had even arrived in the country. My first impressions of the competence and friendliness of staff only improved through-out the visit.

I had asked for a quiet room and found myself in a back room without much of a view. It was exceptionally quiet though. The only noise annoyance came from the air-conditioning - which I eventually turned off at night despite the warm weather.

The room was not spacious, but I never felt cramped despite the length of my stay. It was also clean, modern and the facilities all worked like they are supposed to.

I had breakfast at the hotel each morning and found it to be fine - although the coffee was truly dire (like it is in most of London). Stick to the tea! I also had dinner twice. Dinner was a help-yourself cavery and certainly wasn't bad, in fact it was much better than most of the over-priced restaurants nearby, but it wasn't outstanding. One place I really can recommend is the creperie near the South Kensington tube station - the food there was excellent and pretty cheap given the location.

The only real problem I experienced on my whole visit was with my laundry. As far as I could discover, there was only one laundrette within walking distance - and that was never open. I ended up having to use the hotel laundry which was stingingly expensive.

Overall my experience at the Rembrandt was really positive. The facilities are excellent, the location is brilliant and the staff were genuine and helpful. I will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The lack of somewhere to do my laundry!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank Mike T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 September 2008

Stayed at the Rembrandt for five nights last week. Overall, the stay was excellent.

We were on the sixth floor, generous sized room and fantastic bath.

Room very clean and the housekeeping service fantastic.

Our rate included a continental breakfast which was fine, I'm not a big breakfast eater but I did notice that some packages included a full english breakfast if that's of interest to anyone.

Very close to the tube, buses and taxis were parked directly in front of the hotel.

Will definitely stay there again in the future.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness and service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008
5 Thank manhattan1
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2008

it had been a few years since I stayed at the Rembrandt Hotel. The location is convenient, but you pay the price for the location. The room came with breakfast. I use to look forward to their food, but the breakfast has gone very downhill. Watery scrambled eggs, canned fruit, fatty bacon and little else worth eating except for the cereal. For such an expensive hotel, they sure have let their food go to the dogs.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Beakfast
  • Stayed July 2008
1 Thank charles R
Dublin
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Good - Location of hotel is brilliant, close to south kensington station and Harrods. Bad - Rooms are old and in need of refurbishment but then again we got what we paid for, prices are cheap for london and we were out all day sightseeing so it suited us. Breakfast is nice. Overall, don't expect much from the hotel but then again locaton makes up for it

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank Emmapi
Paris
Reviewed 30 July 2008

The Rembrandt is reasonably-priced, quiet and centrally located. The breakfast which is included in the room price is good with a large choice. I didn't try the restaurant for other meals. The hotel is furnished in a very conservative style, not very contemporary or very luxurious, but very comfortable. My bedroom was air-conditioned with double-glazed windows so that I didn't hear the heavy traffic on the street outside. My only criticism is that when i checked in, they took a £50 deposit charge on my credit card to cover any possible expenses. This deposit was cancelled when I left, but even so I found it very unpleasant to be treated as a potential thief. Except for this, i recommend this hotel very highly to people who want an agreeable stay in London.

• Liked — Large, comfortable room
  • Disliked — required depoosit
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank Ttcat
Surrey
Reviewed 28 July 2008

This hotel should not be listed as a 4 Star ! I was booked into a Superior room which is rated as a "posher room".
The bed linen was dirty and smelt of body odour, even the curtains smelt stale ! The carpets where thread bare, the bathrooms old, rusty the overall room was like a 1 star travel lodge ! I would have been happy to pay £45 per night to stay at this hotel but paying £191-00 to stay in a tarted up DUMP is a joke ! The wallpaper, doors and just the general look of the hotel is tired and unkept ! The leasure club attached to the hotel was in a very poor state, the jacuzzi didnt work, the pool was slimey, there as plasters floating in the pool and to top it all off there was chewing gum on the steps.
DONT STAY THERE IF YOUR AFTER A DECENT NIGHTS SLEEP IN A LUXURY ROOM - IT WONT HAPPEN

• Liked — Booking out the next morning
  • Disliked — The smell of the bedding and room !
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Leyla73
wakefield
Reviewed 17 July 2008

My husband and I stayed 1 night at this hotel on business. On first impressions the reception and lobby area was small and not as plush as some other hotels. We were allocated a room on the 5th floor. The corridor carpet was shabby in places and the wall scuffed. The room and bathroom were tiny.. The small queen size bed was in an alcove so to get out of bed you virtually had to climb over the bed. The room was noisy. The decor and furniture were ok and the breakfast was fine. The location was very good and we had no issues with staff. Overall I think the hotel was ok, but it was the smallest bedroom I have encounted in London and the hotel did not feel like a luxury hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business