“Nice place to stay”
Review of The Rembrandt

The Rembrandt
Ranked #236 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great Location, near S. Kensington tube; across to Victoria and Albert Museum and Natural History Museum; 15 minutes walk from Albert Hall and Royal College of Arts; 30 minutes walk from Kensington Palace. There are many good café and restaurants in a close proximity. Very helpful service.

1  Thank Cyril_086
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Cyril_086

Thank you for reviewing The Rembrandt following your recent stay. I am thrilled that we provided helpful service, comfortable accommodation and that you had a nice stay. We are so lucky to have so many of London’s tourist attractions within easy reach of the hotel. We are opposite three world famous museums, a short stroll from Harrods, Harvey Nichols and Sloane Street as well as being close to the Royal Albert Hall, Hyde Park and Kensington Palace. I do hope that you would consider returning to us on your next trip to London.

There are newer reviews for The Rembrandt

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Expected a bit more than we received. In the first few minutes of checking in, after asking for a quiet room before arrival we were given one next to the lift. My partner and I, both female, were asked whether the double room we had booked was for both of us? We had to start discussing sleeping arrangements which made us feel very uncomfortable. Only there one night, wouldn't want to stay any longer. Food in bar was average,breakfast free for all and pretty average. staff very methodical and efficient but I wouldn't say friendly and welcoming. Didn't feel comfortable there. Wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a club courtyard room, not near the lift
1  Thank Phillipa S

Dear Phillipa S

Thank you for reviewing The Rembrandt following your recent stay. The hotel is annually inspected by the AA to ensure that we meet the criteria of a four star property and once again we have retained our four star rating. It is always disappointing to receive negative feedback and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. We strive to offer clean, comfortable accommodation with friendly, helpful service. I am sorry that you did not feel comfortable and that you would not choose to return, this is not the experience that we want our guests to have. I would welcome the opportunity to try and restore you faith in us. On your next visit to London or Knightsbridge, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, so that I can personally oversee your return reservation and room allocation, to ensure that your stay is made as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the Rembrandt for 3 nights in May 2014. We reserved a room here through Amoma, which I'd never used before. After making the reservation, I emailed the hotel directly to request a specific room. We asked for a quiet executive king room on a high floor facing the back. We stayed here for a week in 2012 in a room that faced the back, and the view was charming and it was quiet. The fee for upgrade was reasonable and I was very happy that our special request was to be honoured.

When we arrived the room was not ready. We were a little early, so we left our luggage with the concierge and tootled off for lunch. When we returned, the very helpful front desk staff checked us in and we went up to our room.

The room was small but well appointed. The linens on the bed were clean. The pillows were fluffy and smelled nice. The bathroom was clean and the toiletries were lovely. The water pressure was good. There were jacuzzi jets in the bathtub. The air conditioning was strong and responsive.

The breakfast is very good at the Rembrandt. There is a fine selection. The breakfast room is sweltering hot, however, so if you are accustomed to somewhat cooler temperatures, e.g., you are not from a tropical country, don't get dressed up for breakfast because you will have to change into fresh clothes when you are done due to the sweat. That being said, it is a lovely room and the service is top notch.

Here's the problem. We booked this room well in advance and I emphasized during our check in that we really wanted (needed) a quiet room because I am a light sleeper especially when I am training my body out of jet lag. The first night was lovely. During the second day, a couple moved into the next door room with two very loud children. The children were undisciplined screamers. It was obnoxious.

We called down to the front desk and complained, and the hotel offered to move us. I didn't want to move, I wanted to stay in the room that we requested 2 months ago during the reservation process. The hotel should have a) moved the loud family, or b) not booked them into the room beside us in the first place. The two alternate rooms the hotel offered us both faced the inner courtyard, so we would lost our view. Neither room had a jacuzzi bathtub. Without the charm of the Dickensian rooftop view from our original room, the lustre of the Rembrandt faded quite quickly. It was also much, much noisier.

We chose the least noisy of the two rooms. We woke the next morning with headaches. When we left the room to get breakfast, we discovered that the walls in the hall had been painted. It reeked.

The next morning after that, we awoke to an awful racket in the hall. They were pulling up the carpets in the hall.

That was the final straw. There hadn't been any warning, no notice, no advice to the customers at all. It was utterly unacceptable. My partner and I were delighted to leave without a second thought.

The Rembrandt is an expensive hotel in a fine, expensive neighbourhood. I expect better customer service from such an establishment. What a disappointment. We won't return.

2  Thank CowboyChris

Dear CowboyChris

Thank you for your extremely descriptive review of The Rembrandt. After enjoying a week’s stay with us in 2012, without complaint, I am sorry that your return visit was disappointing, especially as it started off so well. Our Front Office team do their utmost to comply with our guests special requests. We only have a limited number of rooms at the hotel, that can accommodate families and this is perhaps why we did not suggest to relocate the “noisy” family. As I am sure you can appreciate we are not responsible for children and their behaviour and we do rely on parents, to control their children whilst staying at the hotel, equally we hope that all of our guests will be respectful towards each other, this includes being noisy, playing music or televisions loudly. This year your initial impressions of the hotel were so positive; your bedroom had a lovely view, was at the back of the hotel as requested and was clean and well appointed. I am sorry that the guests who were then allocated next-door were disrespectful and noisy, we would have had no-way of predicting this at check-in. I am disappointed that we had no alternative then to offer you a room move, which was then far from satisfactory and has resulted in such negative feedback. I would welcome the opportunity to try and restore your faith in The Rembrandt, as your first visit had been so enjoyable. Therefore, please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you are planning your next vacation to London and I will personally oversee your return reservation to ensure that your stay is made as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I have previously travelled here between Christmas and new year with my mother and was very impressed with the hotel, I arrived and received a lovely greeting from the staff at reception, my room was not ready until 2pm but that was no problem for us, it was very clean and spacious with tea and coffee making facilities which was great. We had booked breakfast the next morning which was lovely, there was always enough to choose from and nothing was cold it was very much a 5 star! Check out was swift and I fully enjoyed my stay at this hotel, for this reason I returned during Easter with my boyfriend. Room was ready on arrival however this time I was a little disappointed with my room size considering I had payed for the same room as before at the same price! However everything else was great and all in all I would recommend this hotel, the location was fabulous with only 5 minutes walk into Knightsbridge!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Travelhoppa

Thank you for your informative review of The Rembrandt following your stay over Easter. I am thrilled that you chose to return to us after enjoying your stay in December 2013. As we are not a purpose built hotel our rooms do vary in size and shape, whilst we do our utmost to ensure that there is continuity in each category, there is always going to be some variation in size between each room. I am delighted that the team provided efficient, friendly, helpful service. Breakfast is the busiest meal of the day, as it is included in all of our rates, I am pleased that you enjoyed the wide variety of dishes and that the cooked items were hot. I am over the moon that, overall, you had a great stay and would not hesitate to recommend us. We are already looking forward to welcoming you back again, later in 2014.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

A reasonable 4-star London hotel, directly opposite the V&A museum in Kensington. The rooms are quite spacious by London standards, and reasonably comfortable. The food is average, but reasonably priced. The staff are friendly and accommodating. The road outside the hotel is one of the busiest in London, so the noise does get in to the hotel.

Room Tip: If you value your sleep, ask for a room not at the front of the building.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear PaulAberdeen1

Thank you for reviewing The Rembrandt following your recent business trip. I am delighted that you enjoyed our location, directly opposite the V&A, close to transportation links, including a direct underground route to Heathrow Airport. I am pleased that we provided spacious, clean and comfortable accommodation with friendly helpful, service. Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter as they overlook a small residential street, however, rooms at the front of the hotel have stunning views of the V&A, we do our utmost to honour our guests special requests wherever possible. I do hope you would consider returning to us on your next trip to London.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We chanced upon The Rembrandt from a travel website and upon check-in it exceeded most of our expectations. The hotel's location - Knightsbridge - is excellent, and even our friends who live locally have given us positive feedback on our choice of stay for our holiday. Proximity to major attractions and access to the London tube are two of the hotel's biggest advantages. Rooms are clean and perfectly sized, beds are comfortable and facilities are abundant. Buffet English breakfast was included in our rate, and the dining room staff (especially Miled and Doris) were very accommodating. We had friends who came up from Somerset and were booked at another hotel but changed to stay at The Rembrandt at the last minute and didn't regret their decision one bit. In addition, the Aquila health club was convenient for a quick workout or sauna, or a short swim in the heated pool. Overall, a fabulous experience in one of the most vibrant locations in the world. We will definitely return in the future.

Dear TomDC10

Thank you for your positive and descriptive review of The Rembrandt. I am thrilled that you had a fabulous experience. Just like you we love our location, close to museums, world famous shopping, an abundance of restaurants and cafes as well as enjoying excellent transportation links. I am over the moon that we exceeded your expectation and that your friends were not disappointed, that they changed their minds and stayed with us as well! Aquilla Health & Fitness is a little hidden gem and for a small daily fee, guests can use all of the Clubs facilities including; sauna, steam, gym, Jacuzzi and swimming pool – I am delighted you enjoyed a convenient daily, workout. I will ensure that your kind feedback is circulated to all of the team. I am thrilled that we provide a great vacation get away, we are already looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to London.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. The location was great and Kensington High Street is a lovely place to eat, especially in the sun but the hotel was disappointing for a 4 star.
I specifically chose the place for the adjacent gym and pool but these were hugely disappointing. The pool is very small but is also used for children's swimming lessons during the day. I therefore paid £7.50 not for a restful swim and jacuzzi but for a 5m by 1m area of pool and a small lukewarm jacuzzi.
The rooms too were disappointing. I regularly stay at the radisson grafton by Euston which is also a 4 star but which has much larger rooms. Ours was a corner room which was tiny although luckily the air con was effective.
Finally breakfast was mayhem. I'm not sure of it was a particular busy Tuesday night or if the restaurant is just too small for the hotel but there were very few spare tables at 9am and the place was crowded and noisy.
I had hoped for a relaxing and comfortable short break but this was not what I got at the Rembrandt I'm afraid. I won't be staying there again. Probably need to pay more in that part of town.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank EFC0704
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear EFC0704

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt following your stay in April. I am delighted that you enjoyed our location; opposite the V&A and within walking distance of Harrods, Hyde Park, Kensington High Street and The Royal Albert Hall. It is always disappointing to receive negative feedback and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. We have recently retained our four star rating and we strive to offer good value for money for a Knightsbridge hotel. I am sorry that you feel you could not return as we would welcome the opportunity to try and restore your faith in the hotel and demonstrate our usually high standards.