“Fantastic location plus charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rembrandt

The Rembrandt
Ranked #227 of 1,090 Hotels in London
New York
“Fantastic location plus charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

West End location, about 5 minute walk from South Kensington tube station, which connects with three different lines. Cute restaurants nearby abound. About a 15-minute walk to Hyde Park. The V&A Museum across the street.

The hotel itself looks like an old world charmer that has been given a modest facelift. In other words, everything functions the way it should, but it still has the bones of an older hotel. Gorgeous lounge with plenty of space. Rooms are fairly big by European standards, good A/C. Internet service was very good. The breakfast in the lounge had an especially wide selection and was of good quality (it did not seem to vary day-by-day, but that didn't bother me).

Really only one complaint, and it's a minor one. I stayed for a week, and I found the front desk habitually understaffed. Obviously there are going to be times when there are queues for things (like just before noon checkout), but I found that it often did not matter what time I went to the front desk with a question, there were 2-3 people ahead of me. Perhaps I just had bad luck in that regard, but after awhile one starts to think that this is just chronic. To be fair, the front desk people were very good, very professional, very thorough - it's just that I wished there were more of them so that I could get on with things instead of waiting in line. If that is my biggest gripe, I'll take it. There are lots of other hotels with similar locations that are orders of magnitude more expensive.

Room Tip: rooms towards the sides or back are quieter - hotel fronts onto a busy street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MashPotatoes
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear MashPotatoes

Thank you for your detailed review of The Rembrandt, following your stay in June. I am delighted that you loved our location, directly opposite the V&A, close to Harrods, Hyde Park and The Royal Albert Hall. We are a short walk to either South Kensington or Knightsbridge underground stations so guests can use the Piccadilly, District or Circle line to travel around the capital. Since Exhibition Road has been pedestrianised there has been an influx in the number of restaurants and cafes which cater to all tastes and budgets, I agree that they are cute and quirky. I am pleased that we provided quiet, comfortable accommodation with an ample buffet breakfast. June was an exceptionally busy month at the hotel, I am sorry that you had to queue when waiting for the Front Office team, however, I am pleased to note that whilst interacting with them you always found them professional and polite. Overall, I believe that you feel that we offered good value for money, in a fantastic location in a traditional, comfortable central London property. I do hope that we will now be your London hotel of choice.

Customer Service

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

A lovely hotel in a great location, opposite the V&A and close to all the great shops in Knightsbridge. We stayed there to attend the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall, which is within easy walking distance. The room was spotless, (excellent housekeeping), comfortable and well decorated and the staff were very efficient and very attentive. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqueline D
Dear Jacqueline D

Thank you for your lovely review of The Rembrandt and for awarding us your top score. I am delighted that we provided a comfortable, convenient base for your visit to The Royal Albert Hall to attend the Proms- what a fantastic venue and event! I am thrilled that we provided spotlessly clean, comfortable, well appointed accommodation with efficient, attentive service. I will of course ensure your kind comments are shared with all of the team. We want all of our guests to become regulars and to want to return – so please come back soon!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had arrnaged for a group of friends to spend the day here having treatments and relaxing. Unfortunately the day was not as relaxing as a spa day should be.

I arrived around 915, and the lady on reception didn’t seem to be expecting us – although the first treatment was booked in for 10am and you are advised to arrive early. In the pool there were children’s swimming lessons going on, which we learnt were to go on until 2pm – which was the majority of our day there. Although the smallprint in the booking terms it does mention this, its not very obvious until you read through and the pool is completely taken over by the lessons and it was quite loud and stressful! During the treatments – the families were up and down the corridor outside the rooms, which are right next to reception – it was loud and distracting while the treatment should be calm and relaxing it was not.

We were also told that for lunch which is included in our booked package, we would need to get changed from the robes and go for lunch, and then get changed again on return to use the spa again. If we had known this we would probably not have gone with the package – it seemed like a lot of hassle to do so as you wasted time on the day faffing around!
The facilities were not really equipped to cater to our party of 7 – with just two bed loungers in the pool area – there was a “quiet room” with a few loungers but there was another group in there also and it was quite a way away from the pool.The changing areas are small and awkward when busy there.

When our party was changing and getting ready to leave, we noticed that all of our swimwear had been bleached. Completely ruined. I took this to reception, and the manager took a note and said he would come back to me regarding this – once levels in the pool were checked. It took a couple of weeks to hear back from him and only with my own persistant chasing. He has said he is satisfied that the levels were correct so cant replace our costumes - and that no other complaints were made. I would have thought seven complaints of ruined swimwear in one day was sufficient enough. All of them were ruined, turning brown or purple all over with the bleach. One of the ladies had a bracelet on which looks tarnished and dull from the water also – and I overheard another lady in a separate group mention her hair dye was running after the shower which was most unusual - probably from the same reason our costumes were ruined!!

I appreciate these may sound like minor issues (apart from the bleaching of the costumes) but the idea of a spa day is one where you are relaxed and free from any aggravation. We did not leave the spa as relaxed and pampered as we had planned. I was irritated about the costumes - and now that I have complained several times they have offered me the use fo the facilities again but I do not want to return to have another costume ruined in the water!!! Im appalled my the response of them not being able to replace the swimwear - i have never seen anything like this from any spa day or swimming pool. The response is not something you would expect from a supposed 4 star hotel spa in this part of London.

Dont waste your money!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank j k
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear j k

Thank you for taking the time to review your spa day. We take customer feedback extremely seriously and it is always disappointing to receive negative reviews, albeit rarely, and a full internal investigation is always conducted when a guests experience falls below our usually high standards. Our Aquilla Manager, Mr Almenoar did investigate your comments thoroughly as soon as he was made aware of them and responded to you and the third party booking agent that you had booked your spa day with.

I am sorry that your expectation of the day, differed to the package received, as we advertise all our facilities very clearly and have worked with the agent for a number of years, and they are aware of our standard operating procedures, including families using the facilities and also that guests cannot dine in the hotel whilst dressed in robes.

Whilst I appreciate that you were disappointed and were not happy with Mr Almenoar’s response, I feel it necessary to highlight that all our Health & Safety is extremely diligent with water tested and recorded every two hours and all chemical levels for the water were well within the legal requirements.

Thank you again for your feedback and the time taken to review your visit.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family of 4 travelled to London for our very first time and we chose the Rembrandt partly because of the great reviews here but mostly because of its location. It's close to both the trains and busses. There are also nice restaurants nearby and within walking distance to museums and Harrods. They have an excellent breakfast buffet (hot and cold). Our rooms were clean and quiet. But, as we had pre booked our hotel well in advance, we were disappointed that the rooms could not be closer together. And as we found out later, Room 245 had no AC. The front desk person was very nice to offer another room but on another floor. We agreed as they had let us check in early. One very minor complaint - for our last day, we ordered breakfast for 5:00 am as we had an early flight. Breakfast came on time but they were not as we had ordered. Some items were missing or instead of OJ there was tomato juice. However, we would not hesitate to come back to the Rembrandt.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear GloriaL376

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt. Like you we love our location, directly opposite the V&A and close to the Natural History and Science Museums. Guests can also easily walk to Harrods, Hyde Park and The Royal Albert Hall. We are in between South Kensington and Knightsbridge underground stations, both are only a few minutes away and we are also directly opposite a 24hr bus route into the West End, all of which greatly helps our guests navigate around the capital. I am delighted that you enjoyed our excellent buffet breakfast and found the accommodation, clean and quiet. Personal recommendations are the best and I am thrilled that you would not hesitate to return. We are already looking forward to welcoming the family back on your next vacation.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great time. We arrived early and they got us into our room. The room was very nice. Bed was comfortable. Nice size bathroom. There was a little AC noise. The hotel is centrally located to many sights. There are two huge museums two blocks from the hotel. Harrods is a ten minute walk. The free wifi was a huge plus. It helped us plan our trips before we left the hotel. For first time visitors it made getting around and finding notable places very easy.The staff was very accommodating and helpful. We stayed there for 7 nights and will be staying there when we return to London.

Room Tip: Get an Oyster unlimited card for the subway (Tube) if you plan on doing sight seeing for more than 4...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheynigel
Dear Cheynigel

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt and for awarding us your top score. I am pleased that we were able to immediately accommodate you when you arrived, prior to our advertised check-in time of 2.00pm. I am delighted that your accommodation was comfortable and clean, with a good size bathroom. Complimentary Wifi is available for our guests in both the bedrooms and public areas it is a must nowadays, irrespective if guests are staying on business or pleasure. Oyster cards are the most convenient way for guests to have unlimited journeys around the capital and allow you the freedom to choose either the underground or buses. We believe that we have everything on our doorstep; world famous museums, great restaurants and cafes catering to all tastes and budgets, Harrods and Hyde Park, all within easy walking distance. We are already looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

manassas, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed at the Rembrandt for five nights with my 15 yo niece. We arrived about 10:30 am and we're put in a room right away. The beds were good. The room and bath were very clean(very attentive housekeeping, my niece left her sweatshirt in a heap on the bed and it was neatly folded when we returned). The concierge staff were all excellent, but I must single out Nolen as one of the best I have encountered in Europe and the USA. He was simply the the most superb professional I have encountered. The breakfast was fine and service was prompt. The coffee was not weak, Thank heavens! The room was small by American standards but, a good size for Europe. The glitches had to do with check-in. I was put in a room that was not air conditioned despite paying for an air conditioned room. There are rooms that do not have ac even though their literature says differently. When I brought this matter to the attention of the front desk, I was told there was a problem with the ac. The real problem was they overbooked as the room did not have venting for ac. They put an extra fan in the room for us and I used grandma's old trick of setting an ice bucket in front which got us through the night. The next day, I requested another room and got it. They did make it right, so I cannot be too harsh. The other issue was that I did not receive the newspaper. I chose to let it go as my niece would not have given me enough peace to read it.

Room Tip: Stand up and ask for what you want.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear suchagirl

Thank you for your detailed review of The Rembrandt, despite a few issues I am pleased that overall you and your Niece enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased that we provided a very high standard of cleanliness and our housekeeping team, showed care and attention to detail when servicing your bedroom. I am over the moon that our Concierge team, were all excellent and that they were able to offer professional advice and assistance. I will of course pass on your special praise to Mr Kieran Nolan our Head Concierge, he will be thrilled to have been singled out for special mention. I am delighted that we were able to offer you a different room on the second night of your stay and that this met with you requirements, my apologies that we did not identify our mistake upon check-in. I am pleased to note that the team were professional and provided efficient service throughout. I am thrilled to note that you would choose to return and hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on future vacations.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Good quality, pleasant hotel in excellent location. Fourth floor room, at front of hotel,spotlessly clean, spacious and with view of V & A museum. Very little traffic noise. Free WiFi with fast access. Convenient for parks, museums and Albert Hall. Also close to tube station making travel around London very easy. Efficient restaurant serving especially good breakfast.

Room Tip: Higher floors at front have very little traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Margaret D

Thank you for reviewing The Rembrandt. I am thrilled that you describe us as good quality, pleasant in an excellent location. Our front facing rooms have fabulous views of the V&A and I am delighted that your bedroom was spotlessly clean, spacious and quiet. We are close to two underground stations, Hyde Park, Harrods and The Royal Albert Hall, so lots to keep our guests busy and entertained whilst in the capital. Wifi is a must nowadays for all guests and it is important that we provide a quick and efficient service. I do hope that you would consider returning to us on your next trip to London.