“Very Average”
Review of The Rembrandt

The Rembrandt
Ranked #224 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 August 2014

You would expect a Hotel in Knightsbridge to be of a high standard but we experienced rooms that smell, poor quality paint work and very old fashioned decor. Good location but that is all. Don't pay more for Wi-Fi, it is free but not advertised and the spa if free at weekends and we were informed after paying.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been refurbished recently.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mark C
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Mark C

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We have recently retained our four star rating, however, as we are not a purpose built hotel our bedrooms do vary in size and shape. We offer Superior, Executive, Club, Grand and The Brompton Suite, descriptions and photographs are available on our website. If any of our guests are not happy with the bedroom allocated, our Front Office team will always strive to offer an alternative. Wi-fi is available in all of our bedrooms and public areas this service is complimentary for hotel residents. I can only apologise for any confusion surrounding the entrance fee for Aquilla Health & Fitness, hotel residents can use all of the Club’s facilities for a discounted daily fee, entrance is not free at the weekends. It is always disappointing to receive negative feedback and I am sorry that your experience was average.

Customer Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,863)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Great location, but no better than a travel lodge or holiday Inn really. Expensive room. Was told that i would be given a room at the back and up high, but on returning to collect the key I was on the first floor and facing the front. luckily there was another room available. The room was a good size and quiet, the bathroom nice, although, the pump in the bathroom turned itself on at midnight (twice) instructions to turn off were rubbed off the plaque on the wall. - Annoying, the TV in the room would not work properly, all channels were pink - annoying. Tea and coffee, cheap and stingy. I packet of biscuits for potentially 3/4 people as i was put in a room with a third bed made up. Breakfast ok, good selection. Staff very good, polite and very helpful. I would not stay again. Although the location was good, there wasn't anything else about the hotel that warranted the cost. At the end of the day i like value for money and i didn't feel that the Rembrandt offered that at all. It simply relies on where it is. Shame, as i like a bit more for my hard earned money. ( free wi fi was good)

Room Tip: stay at the back as potentially noisy at the front.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo J

Dear Jo J

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt. I am delighted that you loved our location I can only apologise for the confusion regarding your bedroom allocation, I am pleased to note that once highlighted to the Front Office personnel they were able to offer an alternative room, at the back of the hotel that suited your requests. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the very helpful, polite staff, I will ensure your feedback is circulated to the team. All rooms are checked by a Floor Housekeeper prior to being allocated to a newly arriving guests, this check should also identify any Maintenance issues so that these can be rectified, again prior to the room being occupied. I am disappointed that this was not your experience and that we failed to meet our usually high standards. It is always disappointing to receive negative comments and I am sorry that you feel that you will not be able to return, despite loving our location.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Treated my girlfriend to a night here which is out of my normal budget for hotels, but it was a treat. Location is nice in the pleasant Kensington Area near Buckingham Palace and near a tube station to get around. We had a problem when we got there as there was a function on and a notice in our room told us it could finish at 1.00 am in the morning (we could hear music from our room), we contacted reception and stated we were rather annoyed at the situation so they moved us to the top floor to a better suite. Great room with everything you need, breakfast was fantastic and a full English buffet pleased me to the ground.

Definitely recommend this hotel and would revisit!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David W
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear David W

Thank you for reviewing The Rembrandt and for awarding us your top score. I am thrilled that we provided great accommodation, in a great area with a fantastic breakfast – I do hope that your girlfriend enjoyed this special treat? We love our location and we are lucky to be close to two underground stations, South Kensington and Knightsbridge and our guests can walk to Harrods, Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace. I am so pleased that you would definitely recommend us and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip to London.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed at the Rembrandt for 7 nights on business. My room was modestly sized but very comfortable and functional. The bathroom was upscale, modern and clean and stocked with nice amenities. Housekeeping was excellent. Room service was prompt. I was especially impressed by the efficient and courteous concierge desk. Breakfast was included in my rate and was the breakfast buffet was impressive. The Hotel is very conveniently located and is within easy walking distance of museums, restaurants, shopping, the South Kensington Metro station etc. Very lovely area. This hotel is a great choice for comfort and convenience if you're staying in the west end.

Room Tip: Perimeter top floor rooms may have a ceiling slant that some travelers might find inconvenient
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear P B

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt, following your recent business trip. I am pleased that we provided comfortable and functional accommodation with a modern bathroom, nice amenities and excellent Housekeeping. I am thrilled that our Concierge team provided efficient and courteous service. We love our location and believe that we have everything on our doorstep, museums, shopping, great restaurants and two underground stations. I am over the moon that you describe us as a good choice for comfort and convenience and I hope that we will now be your London hotel of choice.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Lovely little hotel in a centrally located area. The hotel staff were very pleasant, although unable to accommodate the early .check in I had selected two days from an email the hotel SENT ME. The rooms were nice, clean and (for London) spacious. I have a universal gripe with all the hotels I've stayed in lately ... there isn't a top sheets or washcloth in hotel rooms anymore. I get too hot with a duvet but like to have a sheet thrown over me while I sleep. This is not specific to this hotel, I've experienced this everywhere. The only downside to this particular hotel was the breakfast included with the room rate was awful. The only good thing on the breakfast buffet was the sausage and the croissants. My son who will darn near eat anything didn't want to eat there. Overall, we were happy we stayed here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 206SeattleNative

Dear 206SeattleNative

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt. Overall, I am pleased that you describe us as a very nice hotel, in a great location. I am pleased that we provided clean, spacious accommodation in a central location. Whilst it is not a standard I am confident that our Housekeeping team would have provided a top-sheet for you, if this was your preference. Subject to availability, early check-in can be requested on the morning of your arrival for a fee of £40, I am sorry that we were unable to comply with this request. I am delighted that you were happy with your stay and I hope that you would consider returning to us on your next trip to London.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Enjoyed a recent stay here with my mother. Old-style hotel that is kept up in good shape. Rooms were reasonable size, storage space ok. Too many small night tables, instead of one large dresser to put away clothes. Lovely dining room. Excellent breakfast - had something for everyone. Only minus is paying for the health club facilities that are adjacent to the hotel. From the looks of the clientele at the hotel, not too many people use the health club, so it could be complimentary.
Location of hotel excellent - across from the V&A museum, close to Hyde Park and the South Kennsington Underground - lots of cafes and restaurants in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back or side so that you can open the windows without too much noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear RBH-TLV

Thank you for taking the time to review The Rembrandt following your recent stay with your mother. I am delighted that we provided a comfortable base, in a great location with an excellent breakfast. I am pleased that you enjoyed Palette Restaurant and found the breakfast buffet, extensive and appetizing. Aquilla Health & Fitness is available to hotel residents for a discounted, daily fee which is advertised on our website, I am sorry that you were unaware that this was a chargeable service. We are extremely lucky, to be in one of the most charming and safe boroughs of London our guests can stroll around the neighbourhood and enjoy an abundance of restaurants and cafes, along with world famous museums and designer shopping. I do hope that we will now be your London hotel of choice.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

West End location, about 5 minute walk from South Kensington tube station, which connects with three different lines. Cute restaurants nearby abound. About a 15-minute walk to Hyde Park. The V&A Museum across the street.

The hotel itself looks like an old world charmer that has been given a modest facelift. In other words, everything functions the way it should, but it still has the bones of an older hotel. Gorgeous lounge with plenty of space. Rooms are fairly big by European standards, good A/C. Internet service was very good. The breakfast in the lounge had an especially wide selection and was of good quality (it did not seem to vary day-by-day, but that didn't bother me).

Really only one complaint, and it's a minor one. I stayed for a week, and I found the front desk habitually understaffed. Obviously there are going to be times when there are queues for things (like just before noon checkout), but I found that it often did not matter what time I went to the front desk with a question, there were 2-3 people ahead of me. Perhaps I just had bad luck in that regard, but after awhile one starts to think that this is just chronic. To be fair, the front desk people were very good, very professional, very thorough - it's just that I wished there were more of them so that I could get on with things instead of waiting in line. If that is my biggest gripe, I'll take it. There are lots of other hotels with similar locations that are orders of magnitude more expensive.

Room Tip: rooms towards the sides or back are quieter - hotel fronts onto a busy street.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MashPotatoes
SarovaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Rembrandt, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear MashPotatoes

Thank you for your detailed review of The Rembrandt, following your stay in June. I am delighted that you loved our location, directly opposite the V&A, close to Harrods, Hyde Park and The Royal Albert Hall. We are a short walk to either South Kensington or Knightsbridge underground stations so guests can use the Piccadilly, District or Circle line to travel around the capital. Since Exhibition Road has been pedestrianised there has been an influx in the number of restaurants and cafes which cater to all tastes and budgets, I agree that they are cute and quirky. I am pleased that we provided quiet, comfortable accommodation with an ample buffet breakfast. June was an exceptionally busy month at the hotel, I am sorry that you had to queue when waiting for the Front Office team, however, I am pleased to note that whilst interacting with them you always found them professional and polite. Overall, I believe that you feel that we offered good value for money, in a fantastic location in a traditional, comfortable central London property. I do hope that we will now be your London hotel of choice.